Serving soldier and veteran suicides more than Afghanistan deaths

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23259865

I can only describe this as an absolute tragedy, more soldiers and veterans died from suicide last year than died on active service in Afghanistan. Veterans also have a high incidence of alcoholism, drug addiction and homelessness.

How have these people been allowed to slip through the net and not getting the help and support they need to live outside the military? They deserve better after serving their country.

I can only describe this as an absolute tragedy, more soldiers and veterans died from suicide last year than died on active service in Afghanistan. Veterans also have a high incidence of alcoholism, drug addiction and homelessness.

How have these people been allowed to slip through the net and not getting the help and support they need to live outside the military? They deserve better after serving their country.

I've heard the same thing said about the Falklands, but it transpired that although the claim was true the suicide rate was actually lower than it was for the general population.

In relation to the situation in Afghanistan I know the Americans have the same problems and I can only put it down to a cut back in the numbers of soldiers. This leads to more frequent and longer tours and a greater reliance on part time soldiers.

" I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o'beer,

The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."

The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,

I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";

But it's ``Thank you, Mister Atkins,'' when the band begins to play,

The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,

O it's ``Thank you, Mr. Atkins,'' when the band begins to play.

(you'll find the rest of the poem here.)

Kipling was remarkably astute. Neither we - the UK - nor any country is prepared to pay the butchers' bill in full.

They 'slip through the net' because no government is prepared to fund all the systems necessary to support them.

The Birits are (relative) newcomers to modern PTSD cases, and perhaps could've learned a little more from the Americans - who had a very steep learning curve after Viet Nam.

Most things cost money - but you'd be surprised how many retired military people are prepared to give their time (and donate their skills - which are often extremely valuable) to support others. - Such support reduces the direct cost to the government significantly. Even just 'being there as a friend' is invaluable to somebody who doesn't know where to turn.

Some years ago I was approached by a British ex-servicemen's association canvassing me to find out whether I was interested in having a military retiree identity card.

(Given that nobody (at government or senior military level seemed particularly interested in it, I wasnt at all surprised when it 'fizzled out' - Or did it? - I've no idea.)

I have a US Military retireee ID card - which is worth a great deal! It gets me access to a number of facilities, details my health Insurance coverage and does a whole lot more besides.

(If HMG was going to offer me the chance to shop in a NAAFI, I'd probably pass on that. :hihi:)

I am also a member of a couple of other US Military retiree organisations which allow (and encourage) me to give my time to help support veterans in need. (I work as a volunteer supporting veterans for between 8 and 16 hours a week. I suppose it makes me feel a bit good, but it allows me to help other people - and it doesn't cost the US government a penny.

The UK isn't quite as advanced as is the US in these matters - but it does have plenty of skilled and willing volunteers. And it could always use more!

I am a member of two organisations in the UK which provide direct support and welfare for their retired military members. Again, these are voluntary organisations (and I suspect that the people who work in them would prefer to keep it that way, too!)

The system in the UK is far from perfect - and many people do slip through the net - but yhr net is far finer than it is in many other countries.

If you would be interested in volunteering, send me a p-mail and I'll try to put you in contact with somebody who can help.

Even an hour or so a week - if you're reliable - would be very welcome.

the country doesnt care once theyve done their bit for the politicians

It is a similar story in regard to US service personnel.

One particular US serviceman Daniel Somers took his own life on June 10th 2013.

He was 30 years old.

His last words are published at the following link with permission from his family

http://gawker.com/i-am-sorry-that-it-has-come-to-this-a-soldiers-last-534538357

Two extracts

‘The simple truth is this: During my first deployment, I was made to participate in things, the enormity of which is hard to describe. War crimes, crimes against humanity. Though I did not participate willingly, and made what I thought was my best effort to stop these events, there are some things that a person simply can not come back from.’

‘To force me to do these things and then participate in the ensuing cover up is more than any government has the right to demand.’

If you wish to know the truth about military service & what it is actually all about, Google 'Smedley Butler' & read the quote in italics listed under Lectures.

He was a brave man, as are many soldiers, but he grew older & wiser & realised that he & his comrades had been used by the establishment.

Nothing has changed, and nothing will until people realise exactly what is going on & refuse to be used.

Nobody is forced to join the military, and I know many will have been fully aware of the risks before signing up, although some won't.

When you leave the armed forces you're a nobody, whilst ever you're serving then you have status and a life.

The only people who come out of the armed forces with their mental health unaffected are psychopaths.

This report to me is just one more reason why we wars should be a very last resort.

I've heard the same thing said about the Falklands, but it transpired that although the claim was true the suicide rate was actually lower than it was for the general population.

That's the case here too, 21 suicides out of ~200,000 active soldiers (plus almost as many reserves?).

The UK suicide rate increased significantly between 2010 and 2011, from 11.1 to 11.8 deaths per 100,000 population.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/subnational-health4/suicides-in-the-united-kingdom/2011/stb-suicide-bulletin.html

The numbers on the BBC article seem to include the suicide of anybody that has ever been in the army & compare that with deaths among those serving in Afghanistan, which is a much smaller number.

Edited by anywebsite