Whats the Best black and white film of all time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csrQgWBgfo8

canvas /imogen heap,

this doesn't really come into the the best black and white film category,

but its one of the best black and white music vids I've seen,great song aswell

Yes the music is nice, but I prefer your Billy Liar choice.

Saturday night and Sunday morning. Albert Finny.

Carry on Regardless or Casablanca.

Saturday night and Sunday morning. Albert Finny.

Very good book, that.

---------- Post added 25-07-2013 at 23:45 ----------

Haven’t seen Brief Encounter yet. Probably the next film I shall watch.

Yes the music is nice, but I prefer your Billy Liar choice.

so do I ,plus it had a special meaning for me as unlike billy I did get on the train.

only problem was I didn't' meet julie christie and I've spent most of my life in ambrosia:hihi:

keith waterhouse wrote it in 1953 a great book if you ever get the chance to read it, I'm just glad schlesinger caught that world of 50's britain changeing into 60's britain, working-class characters, sad cafés, suffocating expectations and sexual ignorance,all on film just before it vanished forever.

stand-out moments for me are Julie Christie's portrayal of beauty ,innocence and freedom and Billy at the station letting himself down, accepting his passivity, giving in to mediocrity, a sad and tragic self-defeat.

Update. Brief Encounter is a wonderful sentimental talkie which belongs in the pantheon of great cinema. It is a constant reminder that love is synonymous with misery, despair and death and should be eschewed at all cost. Brief Encounter is marvellous.

so do I ,plus it had a special meaning for me as unlike billy I did get on the train.

only problem was I didn't' meet julie christie and I've spent most of my life in ambrosia:hihi:

keith waterhouse wrote it in 1953 a great book if you ever get the chance to read it, I'm just glad schlesinger caught that world of 50's britain changeing into 60's britain, working-class characters, sad cafés, suffocating expectations and sexual ignorance,all on film just before it vanished forever.

stand-out moments for me are Julie Christie's portrayal of beauty ,innocence and freedom and Billy at the station letting himself down, accepting his passivity, giving in to mediocrity, a sad and tragic self-defeat.

It sounds as if you were having a few nostalgic moments when you typed that.

Very finely expressed! :)

Update. Brief Encounter is a wonderful sentimental talkie which belongs in the pantheon of great cinema. It is a constant reminder that love is synonymous with misery, despair and death and should be eschewed at all cost. Brief Encounter is marvellous.
A newspaper article about "Brief Encounter" http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/oct/16/brief-encounter-romance

Me and my gal, inherit the wind and whistle down the wind are 3 that spring to mind.

Woody Allen's "Manhattan", "The Last Picture Show", "The Innocents", "The Elephant Man", "Out Of The Past" and "Young Frankenstein"

Great film, Adolf was so peeved that he banned all of Chaplin's movies in Germany and wanted him dead.

Charlie also did 'Modern Times', comic genius, but again, rather unpopular with the right wing. Top Bloke.

Obvious successes like Raging Bull.

But for me "Night of the hunter" with Robert Michum.

Some of the imagery in this film is beautiful.

I was really scared of him as a kid watching that. Seem to remember scene where he was whistling and even that scared me, suspenceful.

Charles Laughton never directed another film because it got slated when it first came out but looking at it now there were so many things in there ahead of it's time. Some of the shots.

Might have to watch it again been a while !