Huge plume of smoke!

update from South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue

The incident commander at today's huge fire is Rick Rolt. He's told us: "We're likely to be turning the plastics over and damping down for days but we've just got monitor jets on the fire now so we may be able to scale back later.

"The crews have done an absolutely fantastic job. We were really worried about the fire spreading to neighbouring buildings such as Veolia. Then there would have been lots of potentially hazardous problems and we'd have been looking at evacuations. But the crews put some fire breaks in to stop the fire spreading, and they managed to contain it to the premise involved."

It could be seen a lot further away craig, this picture is from the top of Leeds general hospital. https://twitter.com/phillipnorton/status/356427853723742208/photo/1

That's impressive.

Can someone explain a 'CARP' pump mentioned in the previous posts? I'm not that familiar with firemen's tackle.

Edited by Nagel

Its good to know how these recycling plants have impacted on the environment.

Smoke plume very obvious all afternoon from here in Buxton.

I'm not that familiar with firemen's tackle.

Glad to hear it. :hihi:

You must have a massive nose then, because I was about two roads away from it and could hardly smell it (smoke safely blowing away from me) and your at bents green...

I can't smell it at Hunters' Bar- but it still looks a very impressive plume.

More plumage than that there Norwegian blue...

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

For those who don't know - the building on fire is this one - https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.387873,-1.441639&spn=0.000958,0.001725&t=h&z=19 - and unless Google is wrong, that's not Foley Street.

Drove past there a week or so ago, and remarked to my mate "There's an accident waiting to happen". Stacks of bales of plastics in an enclosed area, close to the roadside. I'll bet the Fire Service hadn't been invited round to assess the safety of it. I wonder if they were licensed to keep that much stuff in an enclosed area!

It's mark white skip yard he has plastic waste stored in his yard.

Drove past there a week or so ago, and remarked to my mate "There's an accident waiting to happen". Stacks of bales of plastics in an enclosed area, close to the roadside. I'll bet the Fire Service hadn't been invited round to assess the safety of it. I wonder if they were licensed to keep that much stuff in an enclosed area!

Look at the streetview (if this works)

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.387873,-1.441639&spn=0.000958,0.001725&t=h&z=19

Yes, I was just checking the streetview out! The fire must have started in the waste transfer yard (R. White) and spread to Reclaim's bales of plastic. The yard looks pretty full in the streetview pic. As someone has previously mentioned, it's definitely Worthing Road and not Foley Street at all.