Buses should be banned from the city centre.

You can learn to dive a car, as I said if you're poor then it should be subsidised.

Really? You honestly think this? Wait, let's take away money from the NHS etc so people can learn to drive, even though they probably don't want to.

Pollution is a non issue, cars are now cleaner than ever, plus most will be electric soon.

Yes it is. That argument might be vaguely valid if all cars were made in the past couple of years, but they're not. As for electric cars, I think you've been reading too much propaganda from car manufacturers. Are there any electric car charging stations in the city centre? Maybe 50+ years you might be right.

Congestion would be eased because bus lanes could be used by car drivers,.

Riiiiight. Even though you've said everyone should drive so there would be more cars on the road leading to more traffic. Remember buses can hold let's say 50 people on a double decker. Even at 4 people sharing a car that's 12 cars replacing a single bus.

Sheffield is almost a blank canvas so demolishing lots of half unused / abandoned buildings is relatively cheap, therefore road widening programs is a cheaper good viable option which would stimulate growth in our city centre.

When was the last time you went into the city centre? Why do you think all the projects like Sevenstone and the new markets were stalled so long? Because they're expensive.

PS What's so good about a bus?

People like you don't catch them.

I cannot drive due to medical reasons. Many years I have driven including big cities like Toronto, Amsterdam, Sheffield.

Public transport is superior to driving as long as it is organised properly with the intention to provide a good service instead of raking in as much money and getting 10 busses drive one after the other with a gap of 30 minutes in between.

Unless new cars that drive themselves automatic are invented I cannot drive one safely myself anymore. I cannot afford to take taxi's everywhere and have to either walk or take a bus or commit attempted manslaughter while driving.

Lets be fair, I feel we will see the day in the not too distant future when all buses will be electric, and the dirt blowers will be consigned to history. I then wonder who will start a thread saying "Who remembers the good old buses" before electric?

It'll be either that or I was sat on the bus and got an electric shock lol

They tried it back in the 70s it didn't work. Why do some people think buses are worse than cars for polution?

They tried it back in the 70s it didn't work. Why do some people think buses are worse than cars for polution?

Yeah but cars aren't that prevalent in the city centre, it's the fume spewing buses, hence singling them out.

Yeah but cars aren't that prevalent in the city centre, it's the fume spewing buses, hence singling them out.

But that's not how they are meant to be - the majority of buses are fine. The ones that pour fumes out of the back are very broken and the bus companies and council/PTE need to pull themselves together to get rid of that problem. Same goes for the ones that sound like jet turbines!

I don't mind the electric buses at all, and if we have to have them they are the way forward. It doesn't cure the safety problem though, crossing busy streets, which is a large part of my point.

Three examples of taking your life in your hands.

Crossing the road at Haymarket.

Crossing outside Argos.

Crossing at the top of the Moor.

All unacceptable situations in my book.

Maybe you shouldn't be allowed out unaccompanied if you are unable to cross a busy road - do you remember Tufty and also the Green Cross Code ?

Maybe you shouldn't be allowed out unaccompanied if you are unable to cross a busy road - do you remember Tufty and also the Green Cross Code ?

Maybe you should read the whole thread before commenting ?

Maybe you should read the whole thread before commenting ?

I have read the thread in it's entirety.

You said that you take your life in your hands crossing some streets in Sheffield City Centre - streets that are very easily negotiable with careful observation and care.

I have read the thread in it's entirety.

You said that you take your life in your hands crossing some streets in Sheffield City Centre - streets that are very easily negotiable with careful observation and care.

Then you're not a very good reader.

I don't mind the electric buses at all, and if we have to have them they are the way forward. It doesn't cure the safety problem though, crossing busy streets, which is a large part of my point.

Three examples of taking your life in your hands.

Crossing the road at Haymarket.

Crossing outside Argos.

Crossing at the top of the Moor.

All unacceptable situations in my book.

Easily crossed with careful observation and care.

Look right, look left and look right again.

Easily crossed with careful observation and care.

Look right, look left and look right again.

Though you've still missed the point i made.