Buses should be banned from the city centre.

Yeah, that sounds simple enough.

simple solution would be to ban all non electric vehicles from city centre including bus's, that way the air would be nice and clean

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

But that would make every single bus and coach in Sheffield obsolete and almost every car too. That's effectively banning them.

no they can still run around other 95% of sheffield, just not on town centre, if its not electric them no entry, including cars

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

No, we should be encouraging car drivers into our city centre.

---------- Post added 14-07-2013 at 19:57 ----------

Woah; agreed - it's like I said in a post above, there's a justifiable debate to be had about the best layout for public transport links, and increasing the quality of said transport, but I get the impression some private vehicle owners are blinkered and biased and seem to think the rest of us don't matter.

IMO Cars and their usage should be subsidised for poor people (with no extreme driving offences or criminal record)

We need to accept cars are fantastic modes of transport and buses belong in our history books. We need investment on our roads and look at providing for car drivers instead of only trying to fleece motorists.

Edited by Green Web

I had the misfortune to have to pass through town today and my god, some of the crap they belch out is unreal, and all this besides thousands of pedestrians, including children.

If they want to promote good health in Sheffield then this is a step that needs taking, plus it would make the city centre more appealing, trying to cross High St is a nightmare, and that's not to mention the noise.

Another plus is that people would have to walk a short way, which can only be good for their health.

Good grief! I work in the City Centre and catch the bus and can't walk very far due to a dodgy back.

I like the fact the bus practically stops outside my work - you were "just passing through" - why should others be inconvenienced to accomodate your whim?? :huh:

Buses shouldnt just be banned from the city center, they should be banned from the road totally.

That's a good idea! take all the 80 people that catch the bus and put them one in a car like everyone else.... add 80 more cars to the road! - then times this by each bus you foolishly take off the road - thousands more cars added to the road - then see if you can actually drive anywhere.....:help:

Edited by The Giraffe

Good grief! I work in the City Centre and catch the bus and can't walk very far due to a dodgy back.

I like the fact the bus practically stops outside my work - you were "just passing through" - why should others be inconvenienced to accomodate your whim?? :huh:

That's a good idea! take all the 80 people that catch the bus and put them one in a car like everyone else.... add 80 more cars to the road! - then see if you can actually drive anywhere.....:help:

You'd be able to drive and park anywhere you like if it wasn't for the councils stupid anti-car policies. :roll:

You'd be able to drive and park anywhere you like if it wasn't for the councils stupid anti-car policies. :roll:

I don't want to drive because....

a - I don't want to add to the congestion

b - I don't want to compete with the other idiots on the road- undercutting/overtaking/stealing each others "space"/driving too fast/driving too slow for everyone else's liking .......

I'm also ok with not having to worry about - insuring the car/taxing the car/cleaning/maintaining the car/finding a parking space/making sure car is not stolen.... etc etc

:hihi:

Rubbish - what if you can't drive a car? You can't tell me either that there wouldn't be significant congestion and pollution if every bus passenger (or even half of them) brought their cars into town.

Cars are great but it's no use forcing people into them when the bus and tram are often very good ways of getting to work or going shopping in town.

i truly dont know how these busses pass their mot and emissions test ,you can bet if my car was blowing out black acrid noxious poison i would soon be pulled over by the police . does anyone know if the bus companies have a special dispensation?

Rubbish - what if you can't drive a car? You can't tell me either that there wouldn't be significant congestion and pollution if every bus passenger (or even half of them) brought their cars into town.

Cars are great but it's no use forcing people into them when the bus and tram are often very good ways of getting to work or going shopping in town.

You can learn to dive a car, as I said if you're poor then it should be subsidised.

Pollution is a non issue, cars are now cleaner than ever, plus most will be electric soon.

GW or CC was just a silly fashionable fad silly middle class lefties bought into throughout the 2000's.

Congestion would be eased because bus lanes could be used by car drivers,.

Sheffield is almost a blank canvas so demolishing lots of half unused / abandoned buildings is relatively cheap, therefore road widening programs is a cheaper good viable option which would stimulate growth in our city centre.

PS What's so good about a bus?

Edited by Green Web

I had the misfortune to have to pass through town today and my god, some of the crap they belch out is unreal, and all this besides thousands of pedestrians, including children.

If they want to promote good health in Sheffield then this is a step that needs taking, plus it would make the city centre more appealing, trying to cross High St is a nightmare, and that's not to mention the noise.

Another plus is that people would have to walk a short way, which can only be good for their health.

I love trees ffs

---------- Post added 14-07-2013 at 23:01 ----------

I don't want to drive because....

a - I don't want to add to the congestion

b - I don't want to compete with the other idiots on the road- undercutting/overtaking/stealing each others "space"/driving too fast/driving too slow for everyone else's liking .......

I'm also ok with not having to worry about - insuring the car/taxing the car/cleaning/maintaining the car/finding a parking space/making sure car is not stolen.... etc etc

:hihi:

just get on your giraffe and ride in to town!!