Buses should be banned from the city centre.

I don't mind the electric buses at all, and if we have to have them they are the way forward. It doesn't cure the safety problem though, crossing busy streets, which is a large part of my point.

Three examples of taking your life in your hands.

Crossing the road at Haymarket.

Crossing outside Argos.

Crossing at the top of the Moor.

All unacceptable situations in my book.

Crossing the road at Haymarket. There's a crossing at top of Haymarket

Crossing outside Argos. There's a crossing just up from Argos

Crossing at the top of the Moor. There's a crossing at the top of the Moor

Why would you take your life into your own hands when there's crossings at all the places mentioned, but people try to cross where it is not safe to do so & risk getting hit by a vehicle(bus).

The council are doing their best to ban cars from town.

They want everyone to be riding the super duper hybrid buses.

You or i maybe, but that particular part was about child safety. i'm not happy to let my kids risk those crossings as they have the attention span of a newt, when chatting with mates.

My kids were the same, but we educated them in the Green Cross Code, and road crossing safety, it's easy to do Mega. They will get it if it's drummed into them, as it means and protects their lives. Also I think you'll find that most "incidents" at these "hotspots" you mention, involve adults.

Pete

---------- Post added 14-07-2013 at 18:04 ----------

Ban buses full stop. It was great when first was on strike years ago. Everyone got around easier and everyone ay work wad early as there was no traffic

By this I take it you're a car owner, just think of the thousands that don't drive and rely on buses to get to work.

funny how meadowhall have a bus and tram and train interchain slightly away from meadowhall, they seem to manage just fine with that setup, or is it the case that people in town are that lazy they afraid that they have to travel more than 10 foot?!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

funny how meadowhall have a bus and tram and train interchain slightly away from meadowhall, they seem to manage just fine with that setup, or is it the case that people in town are that lazy they afraid that they have to travel more than 10 foot?!!

Only because it has to be. There's no viable way of it being closer. The closer public transport can get to places people want to be, the more people will use it and the more economical it will get, whilst reduced private vehicle trips will also help reduce pollution etc.

funny how when you hear car drivers tell us all why public transport is so useless and why cars are better, one of the main reasons is that their car takes them exactly from A to B. So that's not lazy, but people using public transport are? :?

It's a shame, because there's probably a good debate to be had about pedestrianisation of city centres, creating no-vehicle zones etc; but unfortunately it's ruined by the often seen attitude of the likes of dawny and penistone999 which is an attitude of 'only my views and my ways of life matter - all others are unimportant'

---------- Post added 14-07-2013 at 18:25 ----------

Ban buses full stop. It was great when first was on strike years ago. Everyone got around easier and everyone ay work wad early as there was no traffic

It was probably fantastic for you. But most of us realise there's more than just ourselves living on this planet. Many tens of thousands of people really struggle to get to work, get about their daily lives when the buses are on strike. There's a lot of people who can't drive, can't afford to drive, are physically incapable of walking, live further than a reasonable walk away from work, etc;

And before you ask if we can't all just learn to drive; the road system struggles as it is - can you imagine if each bus on the roads was replaced by just say 10 cars (realistically a full bus would probably be worth about 50-60 cars)?? It would be even worse.

andrewc, funny i was debating how meadowhall manage it? fair point as to why sheffield cente cant, yet at first sign of a different point of view you lambast me, thats not debating m8!!!!

I don't mind the electric buses at all, and if we have to have them they are the way forward. It doesn't cure the safety problem though, crossing busy streets, which is a large part of my point.

Three examples of taking your life in your hands.

Crossing the road at Haymarket.

Crossing outside Argos.

Crossing at the top of the Moor.

All unacceptable situations in my book.

All three examples you have given all have crossings operated by lights, no need to take your life in your hands if you can wait a few minuets and not try to dodge traffic. I for one am pleased that I can get a bus to High Street being unable to walk far. Think of other people who are not as "fit?" as you, and if you don't like buses in Town one person wont be missed so carry on going to Meadowhall.

Dawny1970:

Clearly I addressed your argument about meadowhall in the very first sentence of my post. I said that at M'hall they really couldn't have built an interchange any closer. I'm sure they would have loved to. The closer the transport links, the more people will use m'hall.

As for my judgement that you are biased, I base that on more than just your posts in this particular thread. Fair enough 'm8' if I have you wrong but I always get the impression from you that you are anti-public transport, anti-city centre and just generally quite cynical and negative (see the recent thread on hybrid buses).

Sorry if wrong, but that's just the way you come across.

You also use exclamation marks in every post too for some reason. :?

Banning buses from the city centre - what a stupid thing to say. While it's true some of the buses are particularly bad for pumping out smoke and fumes, that is something that can be solved with the bus companies is it not? They can be repaired and frankly should be fixed much more quickly than they are. Newer buses have to meet increasingly strict EU emissions regulations anyway so the air quality should be better as newer buses are introduced and older ones are phased out.

If you use your eyes and ears in addition to proper road crossings, and even children know how to do that, I don't see the problem at all with safety. Accidents do happen and there are measures to prevent them but even the best road system cannot prevent every single one. The better solution would be to create safer crossing areas in places where accidents are more likely.

You can't ignore the fact either that there are elderly and disabled people who can't travel all the way around town from the tram stops without some assistance. I'm in agreement that the Freebee is a waste of time and money though - those who need the assistance most (the elderly and disabled) can get on buses for free anyway so can make use of those services. The rest can try that unusual thing they call 'walking'.

Woah; agreed - it's like I said in a post above, there's a justifiable debate to be had about the best layout for public transport links, and increasing the quality of said transport, but I get the impression some private vehicle owners are blinkered and biased and seem to think the rest of us don't matter.

You post this thread and have the cheek to call me stupid!! You think it's fine to poison the world with your car fumes!! And you think it's ok to poison people in Rotherham cos you don't care about them?! And you scoff at my suggestion of double standards?!! Are you on drugs? Or an alcoholic? Or are you just a total ********?!

The word is Troll, and you shouldn't feed them ;)

simple solution would be to ban all non electric vehicles from city centre including bus's, that way the air would be nice and clean