32 police injured in orange order rioting

[/color]

Well said donkey. As an Anglo-Irishman who has lived & attended school in both the Republic & England I agree with every word.

Ditto that experience. I found it quite perplexing at the age of ten to arrive in Ireland and start learning a completely different version of the same history. Here in the UK the conditioning has got more to do with what they don't teach you in school (and there is an awful lot) than what they do.

[/color]

Ditto that experience. I found it quite perplexing at the age of ten to arrive in Ireland and start learning a completely different version of the same history. Here in the UK the conditioning has got more to do with what they don't teach you in school (and there is an awful lot) than what they do.

Precisely, when I first sat in an Irish history lesson I got a bit paranoid & thought 'These buggers are having a go at me':). It did get me interested in history though, both Irish & British.

The problem with teaching British history is that there's so much of it, & it must be very tempting to sanitize it a little. I mean it's much easier to teach how the industrial revolution was such a benefit to mankind-as it was- than try to explain how we managed to completely eradicate an entire unique race- the Tasmanian aborigine- from the face of the Earth.

I mean Whoops! hardly covers it does it?

As a matter of interest what part of Ireland did you go to school?

As a matter of interest what part of Ireland did you go to school?

Co.Wicklow

Beautiful part of the world. Been there several times & stayed at Glendalough on one occasion. Had a couple of pints in Johny Fox's & have to say Powerscourt has the best water feature I've ever seen!

My mum was from County Clare, which is where I attended two schools, a long time ago. :)

[/color]

we never did about ireland or the troubles or anything like that at school, all i can remember us doing about was the 1st and 2nd world wars, oh and 1066 lol