32 police injured in orange order rioting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-23299768

i think weve already had this discussion about whos allowed to "walk" "protest" "demonstrate" wherever they like

but in northern ireland its particularly hard for the police as if they arent stopped then the other side riot

rock and a hard place?

looks like the loyalists spat the dummy out of the pram this time

Perhaps it's time for a vote on Independence for Northern Ireland.

Together with a vote on Independence for Wales

And one on Independence for Scotland

(And one on Independence for Yorkshire ... if you really want it. ;))

Everybody should be allowed to vote, though.

The problem with allowing a vote and then being bound by the results in a place like Northern Ireland is that the population is divided into two very vocal groups (along with a number of less radical groups) whose wishes are diametrically opposed to each other, and these two groups have disagreed about this for hundreds of years. The marching season commemorates a battle that happened in 1690 and feelings about the issue haven't really subsided in 323 years.

Do you really think that a vote will settle the issues? If you make Northern Ireland a separate country then you aggrieve both groups, if you merge Northern Ireland with Eire to make one independent country together then that makes the nationalists happy but incenses the unionists, and if you keep Northern Ireland as part of the UK then that keeps the loyalists happy but mortally offends the nationalists.

You could put the lot of them in the EU and make them all miserable.

A simple vote won't solve any issues - but given that nobody in Northern Ireland appears to be willing to do anything to effect a resolution, perhaps taking away the reason (which would, I've no doubt make many feel 'disenfranchised') might be the only way to go.

Let Northern Ireland be a (probably insignificant) state in the EU and let them get on with it.

Why should policemen be injured?

Why should 'innocent' (or not so innocent) bystanders be injured?

If the people of Northern Ireland can't learn to live with their history, why should anybody else have to pay for their inability?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-23299768

i think weve already had this discussion about whos allowed to "walk" "protest" "demonstrate" wherever they like

but in northern ireland its particularly hard for the police as if they arent stopped then the other side riot

rock and a hard place?

looks like the loyalists spat the dummy out of the pram this time

You got to feel sorry for the police always put in the middle to keep two factions apart. Even bringing in extra police from the rest of the UK now, good luck to them, might be their first taste of a riot for some.

I'm surprised violence in Ireland constitutes as news anymore.

We should just abandon Ireland all together, and just ask the last person to leave to turn off the lights.

We should just abandon Ireland all together, and just ask the last person to leave to turn off the lights.

Jeez we don't want them all over here. We'll all end up like Glasgow.

I'm surprised violence in Ireland constitutes as news anymore.

tbh it doesnt happen "that" often these days, not like the bad old days, just some wantt o drag em back to it :(

39 injured now, and special courts set up apparently

I was brought up in Belfast and I've recently returned from a visit there and I can honestly say it is an awful lot better than when I lived there.

I suppose it all boils down to whether or not you support the viewpoint that people should be allowed to march even if it offends some people and we had it in Sheffield recently with the EDL march.

I despise the EDL's politics but I can't argue with their right to express an opinion, so I suppose the march should be allowed.

I was brought up in Belfast and I've recently returned from a visit there and I can honestly say it is an awful lot better than when I lived there.

I suppose it all boils down to whether or not you support the viewpoint that people should be allowed to march even if it offends some people and we had it in Sheffield recently with the EDL march.

I despise the EDL's politics but I can't argue with their right to express an opinion, so I suppose the march should be allowed.

but you could look at it another way, is there a difference in the way the reasons affect their lives?

in the case of the irish yes

in the case of the EDL, no, in 95/99% extremist muslims DONT or never have affected their lives, most of it is built on lies and half truths, and what theyve read about in the paper

If the march had gone ahead a mob of nationalists would know doubt be doing what a mob of loyalists have been doing for the last few nights. It seems some people in Northern Ireland like an excuse to engage in a bit of recreational hooliganism.