Origin DNS Issues

Get thisen int footy section Paul, see who Blades are after. ;)

Edit : Just noticed you already have. :D

:help: tut tut you need specks lol:hihi:

Been on there quite a bit with the goalpost changer:loopy:

Well the Internet light on my router has gone off yet again at 11pm tonight!

Waiting for origin pete to turn up to tell you all your problems can be solved by switching t....... Oh wait hmmmm

Have u put enough money in the meter

Mind if I ask, what equipment apart from the router did Origin send out? Did they or BT leave you with a VDSL face-plate?

without stirring the pot would dns issues even cause your internet to drop out?

if dns isnt working, you would still have internet connection, but not be able to connect to websites as the words in the address bar cant be converted into ip addresses? can you ping sites and get a response?

or have I miss understood how dns works? :hihi:

Nice one stimpy! Just a point that was made earlier about BT and testing the line - there was a damning article about BT by a writer for a major PC magazine (somewhere in the attic) in that they don't always use the proper test kit so you always end up having to pay the exorbitant fee - his words not mine!

Nice one stimpy! Just a point that was made earlier about BT and testing the line - there was a damning article about BT by a writer for a major PC magazine (somewhere in the attic) in that they don't always use the proper test kit so you always end up having to pay the exorbitant fee - his words not mine!

IF the line was reported and checked

Hi Bedrock,

If you could contact support with any issues you may have, If you are having a DNS issue have you tried forcing openDNS or alternatives in the WAN interface of the Zyxel? or even your computers adapter?

Kind Regards,

Oliver

BT doesn't initially test the line, it's up to your ISP to perform initial relevant testing - after getting the end user/customer to do initial diagnosis then the ISP usually performs a "whoosh test" (if using BT Ipstream type products/derivatives - this is where the ISP resells off BT's back haul) There's equipment at every exchange that's hooked into every rack that can check the PSTN &/or xDSL. In part, this is at least the LDU (Loop Diagnostics Unit) which supplies BT engineers 17070 service from premises (quiet line test etc) however, it's also probed at low levels during the Whoosh test - line readings are usually a reflection reading of what your router is stating but other readings are from the exchange equipment. Estimated 95% of the time, if Whoosh test passes then the line is fine and the problem is with the end user's settings or equipment.

Check here at telephonesuk.co.uk for pictures from inside a typical BT telephone exchange, including the LDUs, the DSLAMs and MUX's

But going back to the original case in point, DNS issues won't be affecting a physical line drop unless you're getting DNS flooding/amp attacked which is highly unlikely unless you're running a server. If your line is dropping at specific points of the day, and there's a distinct pattern then something is happening either at your premises/nearby or near to your copper line back to the box, or the box on the road itself that will be causing interference and hence the line to drop at these times of the day. It might be something basic such as the line card that you're attached to in the cab is shared with a business that runs daily backups at those times of day and is overloading the card - again unlikely but not completely unheard of.

The fact that you've tested this against two separate routers and are still experiencing the same issue at the same times of day suggests that you need to look at other factors as to why you are disconnecting.

Too many prissy people on this board.

And every time I have an issue with Origins equipment, I have to set the whole thing up from scratch again.

How counter intuitive is that, at least with BT equipment they are all preconfigured so you just need to plug them in and everything is set up, nothing gets lost even when you reset, even Sky's hub is like BT in that everything is preconfigured before you even get the product.

For anyone out there who is over a certain age, an elderly person in particular, stay away from Origin or any other company that expects you to have a degree in networking to just get equipment to work.

And every time I have an issue with Origins equipment, I have to set the whole thing up from scratch again.

Only if you hit the reset button - the Zyxel modems come pre-configured from Thales, this means that when you hit the reset button then the default configuration is to Thales' wholesale RAS. This is the server section that then is supposed to route the connection forward to Origin's racks, so long as the router is configured correctly. The Zyxel *should* maintain it's settings so long as you're not resetting the router. If it doesn't then it'll probably be a firmware fault.

How counter intuitive is that, at least with BT equipment they are all preconfigured so you just need to plug them in and everything is set up, nothing gets lost even when you reset, even Sky's hub is like BT in that everything is preconfigured before you even get the product.

The only way to resolve that would be for a change to be made in the supply side of the router. As I said before, the router is supplied by Thales. If the router were supplied from Thales via Origin, it would increase delivery/storage costs to Origin who would in turn probably need to pass this cost on to the customer. In practice it appears that the majority of people, including yourself, can follow instructions to configure the router in order to at least initially get online. This is ultimately what is contractually obligated by the ISP and hence they are keeping up their end of the bargain.

For anyone out there who is over a certain age, an elderly person in particular, stay away from Origin or any other company that expects you to have a degree in networking to just get equipment to work.

Unix was first made in 1969 as a collaboration operating system in universities. A lot of the people who were around at that time saw the progression of the d/arpanet which ultimately became the internet. A lot of these people are now either retired or due to retire shortly so I think that you ageist analogy might fall quite a bit short. There are going to be plenty of people the world over who'd have networking experience/degrees.

That being said, networking isn't all that difficult. Lots of people have learnt a lot of networking analogy since the first broadband wave, and thus there are plenty of people who understand how it all works and how to fault find. You yourself might be frustrated that you're having problems, but you also were able to configure the router in order to get online.

If your router is dropping the connection at specific certain times of the day then as I have said before, you need to find out why it is at these specific times of the day. Origin may be able to help you with connection logs from their side if you ask them nicely.