Smoking banned in all pubs & clubs

do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?

• yes i back the ban
    • no i don't back the ban

On last night Question Time a labour MP said Prisons, Care Homes and the smoking room in the house of commons would all be exempt.

So a convicted murderer can happily puff away to his hearts content in prision, but people that served their country in WW2/Falklands and Iraq can't enjoy a smoke with a pint on a Sunday Afternoon.

If we had Smoking and Non Smoking pubs we would all have a choice, by banning it, the choice has been taken away from many people.

The whole legislation is a total fudge.

Either you ban smoking in ALL public places or you don't. Exempting certain institutions and not others leads to exactly the sort of insane circumstances you've highlighted in your post.

The legislation should have instead concentrated allowing establishments to choose whether they permit smoking, and then worked out the regulations pertaining to smoking establishments regarding safety, employment, provisions of services etc. I would imagine that smoking establishments would also have to maintain minimum air quality levels and provide 'smoking alternatives' such as nicotine gum.

Non-smoking establishments would have to satisfy other less onerous regulation, to show that smoking was not being carried out on the premises at any time.

No need to ban anything, at all.

Agent Dan, rocketpig, please calm down.

Thank you!

Joe

The whole legislation is a total fudge.

Either you ban smoking in ALL public places or you don't. Exempting certain institutions and not others leads to exactly the sort of insane circumstances you've highlighted in your post.

The legislation should have instead concentrated allowing establishments to choose whether they permit smoking, and then worked out the regulations pertaining to smoking establishments regarding safety, employment, provisions of services etc. I would imagine that smoking establishments would also have to maintain minimum air quality levels and provide 'smoking alternatives' such as nicotine gum.

Non-smoking establishments would have to satisfy other less onerous regulation, to show that smoking was not being carried out on the premises at any time.

No need to ban anything, at all.

Thank you for understanding the point I was trying to make, perhaps I should have worded it differently as other people didn't get the point.

i never had any choice - it was either don't go to a pub or restaurant or dont go to a pub or restaurant.

in the last two years we have removed 10 eating establishments from the list of frequented pubs 'cos they allowed smoking.1 made one exception & asked to be reseated 'cos we were part way thorugh our meal, previously we have up & left the pub/restaurant.

so if you multiplied 10 restaurants by the number of family members 26,(actually 24 'cos 2 of them smoke) = 240 meals & drinks that we won't be having at the said pubs.that is if we all only ate out at each place once a year.

as we have 26 birthdays every year + 8 anniverseries =34.

so potentially 8160 meals & drinks that were taken to non smoking pubs etc.

if i offered 1 pub all our services as a family for 2 years to ban smoking, against one person drinking 6 pints a week whilst he/she smokes, the pubs may view things differently.

You're in the minority then. Weatherspoons has done a major trial of it and custom collapsed in every single drinking establishment in which they banned smoking.

i never had any choice - it was either don't go to a pub or restaurant or dont go to a pub or restaurant.

in the last two years we have removed 10 eating establishments from the list of frequented pubs 'cos they allowed smoking.1 made one exception & asked to be reseated 'cos we were part way thorugh our meal, previously we have up & left the pub/restaurant.

so if you multiplied 10 restaurants by the number of family members 26,(actually 24 'cos 2 of them smoke) = 240 meals & drinks that we won't be having at the said pubs.that is if we all only ate out at each place once a year.

as we have 26 birthdays every year + 8 anniverseries =34.

so potentially 8160 meals & drinks that were taken to non smoking pubs etc.

if i offered 1 pub all our services as a family for 2 years to ban smoking, against one person drinking 6 pints a week whilst he/she smokes, the pubs may view things differently.

You forget that Weatherspoons have already done this and custom collapsed in every single drinking establishment in which they banned smoking. Not just a little blip in takings, a hefty amount of turnover.

However, you get the idea that if you don't like smoking then you don't go into pubs that allow it. That's what society is about. Freedom to choose and business' right to cater for market demands.

You forget that Weatherspoons have already done this and custom collapsed in every single drinking establishment in which they banned smoking. Not just a little blip in takings, a hefty amount of turnover.

However, you get the idea that if you don't like smoking then you don't go into pubs that allow it. That's what society is about. Freedom to choose and business' right to cater for market demands.

but the Irsih scenario hasn't collapsed. there are already more & more pubs benefitting from a no smoking policy.

however by allowing smokers into public houses you deprive me of the option to visit the same pubs as you.

perhaps if i had a weatherspoons nearby iwould have used its facilities, but as the nearest is woodseats it's not where i would want to go for a meal. i have a no smoker @ Ridgeway.

You're in the minority then. Weatherspoons has done a major trial of it and custom collapsed in every single drinking establishment in which they banned smoking.

probably so.

when they stopped selling bio diesel @ tesco's they had a drop in revenue, but the slack was taken up eventually on other products.

it will have a similar but slower effect in pubs, by the time my niece is old enough to drink(she's 2) every one will have forgot about the great smoking ban.

probably so.

when they stopped selling bio diesel @ tesco's they had a drop in revenue, but the slack was taken up eventually on other products.

it will have a similar but slower effect in pubs, by the time my niece is old enough to drink(she's 2) every one will have forgot about the great smoking ban.

True it will be forgotten by then. Because the liberal nanny state will have eaten away at people's liberty across the board. It's never-ending.

By the time your niece is 18 will drinking even be allowed?

Agent Dan, rocketpig, please calm down.

Thank you!

Joe

Sorry Joe! :blush:

RocketPig - you did misrepresent what AgentDan said, and not just once but several times. It doesn't help your argument, it just causes bad feeling.

Doncastrian - you haven't answered my point. You're all upset about your right to smoke in pubs, what about might right to go to a pub without having to breathe smoke?

RocketPig - you did misrepresent what AgentDan said, and not just once but several times. It doesn't help your argument, it just causes bad feeling.

Doncastrian - you haven't answered my point. You're all upset about your right to smoke in pubs, what about might right to go to a pub without having to breathe smoke?

Well that of course depends on your needs outweighing those of the current patrons of said pub. Which they do in some weird parallel universe, but not here really.

That must be why their share price has only gone up by about 50% since last May (from around 240 to around 360p).

I wonder what proportion of Wetherspoons pubs are non-smoking. If it is 100% non-smoking then that would appear to refute 'custom collapse' allegations.

That must be why their share price has only gone up by about 50% since last May (from around 240 to around 360p).

Yes, because the smoking pubs are keeping them afloat. Every single pub that went non-smoking lost 7-10% of income. That's a lot of job losses.

You do have a right to choose to drink at a pub, Cyclone and accept their rules. If market forces dictate that non-smoking pubs aren't viable then it shouldn't be tampered with.

It wouldn't be as bad if Government wasn't so double-jointed over this. Practically legalising cannabis despite health warnings and bringing class A drug misuse practically legal. There's something fishy with the people in powers hypocrisy.

but then they like to jump on a bandwagon rather than stand up for rights. Won't find them doing the same over obesity - just as big a killer.