Smoking banned in all pubs & clubs

do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. do you back the total smoking ban in all public places ?

• yes i back the ban
    • no i don't back the ban

smoking should be banned completely in my opinion.

"big tobacco" have been making money out of poisoning and killing the populace for far too long already.

it seems almost ridiculous in this day and age that people still enjoy inhaling smoke from a burning plant.

Not for the first time this week Jake.

Smoking does the Smoker harm. That is a fact.

Secondary smoking does harm. That is pure spin and totally unproven.

Smoking puts hundreds of millions of dosh into the Treasury. That is fact.

The NHS spends some of those millions of dosh treating smokers. That is fact, but not all of the dosh by any means.

Stop all smoking and ban tobacco per se. The Government have to make up the losses from somewhere else. That is fact.

Where do you get it from? Legalise Pot, take it off the criminals and sell it over the counter, with a nice tax applied and thus reduce the Crime Figures.

You no longer have to spend any money treating the self-inflicted smoker's illnesses. Dosh saved.

Everyone lives a lot longer, so put the retirement age up to 70, cos Govn't have spent the National Insurance received, for Pensions on stupid things before They got the dosh.

Net result...lots of extra workers over 45 at B & Q for minimum wage till they're 70, Budgets Balanced in the NHS,....and everyone high as a kite all day.

Are you still confused

Think you are somewhat.... for one I don't agree with drugs and that is a different topic altogether.

I was dealing with smoking. The facts you mention have been around a lot longer than you and my point is why should anyone be able to criminalise a legal form of legal tobacco smoking at a whim because it suits some.... the fact that provisions could be made for smokers seems to have gone out of the window.... I understand very well that extraction systems are more than capable of dealing with a smokey environment and my point was, why not make these areas accessible apart from non smokers.

Why do you keep going off topic.... this is not about employing over 45's.... this is about smoking as it has always been and are some people not ready for the change. It is being foisted on them... yeah ban tobacco... ban heroin as well.

Are you any more aware? :D

Think you are somewhat.... for one I don't agree with drugs and that is a different topic altogether.

I was dealing with smoking. The facts you mention have been around a lot longer than you and my point is why should anyone be able to criminalise a legal form of legal tobacco smoking at a whim because it suits some.... the fact that provisions could be made for smokers seems to have gone out of the window.... I understand very well that extraction systems are more than capable of dealing with a smokey environment and my point was, why not make these areas accessible apart from non smokers.

Why do you keep going off topic.... this is not about employing over 45's.... this is about smoking as it has always been and are some people not ready for the change. It is being foisted on them... yeah ban tobacco... ban heroin as well.

Are you any more aware? :D

No, I am just a silly sod sometimes, but I got your attention, didn't I ?:thumbsup:

Whats wrong with giving people the choice - go to a smoking- or non-smoking pub or area? Or having a good ventilation system? Since they stopped smoking on planes, the air has actually become less clean, as they filter it less, so the air is actually worse than when they allowed smoking!!!!

Besides, people have already found ways round the smoking ban in Dublin anyway, so I don't see how it is going to solve the 'problem'. As for protecting the public from second han smoke - its in the home where non-smokers are most vulnerable, and the law can't reach what happens there.

I think the Government are wasting too much time and money trying to control us (ID cards and smoking bans) when its not in their remit, and there is much more important stuff for them to resolve - e.g. pensions crisis, NHS postcode lottery etc. And more importantly, they have gone against their maifesto promises of VOLUNTARY ID cards, and PARTIAL smoking bans. They are the 'promises' they got elected on, so if they are going to go against it, they need to ask the electorate - not make decisions based on a few hundred people in the Commons.

Ok, rant over......for now!!!!

Whats wrong with giving people the choice - go to a smoking- or non-smoking pub or area? Or having a good ventilation system? Since they stopped smoking on planes, the air has actually become less clean, as they filter it less, so the air is actually worse than when they allowed smoking!!!!

Besides, people have already found ways round the smoking ban in Dublin anyway, so I don't see how it is going to solve the 'problem'. As for protecting the public from second han smoke - its in the home where non-smokers are most vulnerable, and the law can't reach what happens there.

I think the Government are wasting too much time and money trying to control us (ID cards and smoking bans) when its not in their remit, and there is much more important stuff for them to resolve - e.g. pensions crisis, NHS postcode lottery etc. And more importantly, they have gone against their maifesto promises of VOLUNTARY ID cards, and PARTIAL smoking bans. They are the 'promises' they got elected on, so if they are going to go against it, they need to ask the electorate - not make decisions based on a few hundred people in the Commons.

Ok, rant over......for now!!!!

I agree with all you say, but when a Government gets desperate to show it can be firm on policy when it is perceived as an abject failure by most of the Electorate, it has to assert it's authority using the "Big Bang" Theory.

Divide and Conquer is an age-old way of doing that.

Set up the differences in people, put propoganda in to stir up one half of the population, light the blue touch paper ............. and sit back and enjoy.

Totalitarian governments have honed this in the past to a Fine Art.

Absolutely agree Shoeshine !

Despite the countless problems in the U.K and the apparent inability of the government to do anything about them , the one thing they've managed to do is to stir up an unnatural hatred about smoking .

They had an easy job though ; any nation that gets millions of people to watch Big Brother and soaps can be persuaded to do anything .

Absolutely agree Shoeshine !

Despite the countless problems in the U.K and the apparent inability of the government to do anything about them , the one thing they've managed to do is to stir up an unnatural hatred about smoking .

They had an easy job though ; any nation that gets millions of people to watch Big Brother and soaps can be persuaded to do anything .

Smokers are just normal people who have gone through the eons with all the posters, advertising and hype from such like Hollywood Icons and their peers to start the habit in the first place.

It is not so easy for some people to kick the habit just because a few select in parliament tell them they should.... why are the middle aged average liberal tree huggers once again winning the debate.... fine, I agree in not forcing smoke down someones throat who doesn't smoke but it is gonna be fact that you can not have a smoking only pub now.... where all will be non smoking.... where is the fair choice in that?.... A poster made a fair comment before about binge drinking and the slippery slope that leads us on to.... do we ration it in the future or simply start the same campaign on alcohol and where are these policies coming from initially? what is next.... shall we outlaw sun tan parlours as they are proven with over use to cause skin cancer.... there will always be something up for debate and why do women not cover up.... this is the slippery slope. Freedom and freedom of choice.... my sentiments are.... Smokers pubs.... Non smokers pubs, if any one doesn't like that, I suggest you put it in your pipe and smoke it. :D

Does this mean Police will be arresting/fining smokers caught?

I'm off behind the bike sheds. . .

the false analogy comparing smoking to binge drinking keeps coming up. I've never forced any alcohol down someone elses throat just because they happened to sit near me in a pub, nor does using a suntan bed (as in the last post) spray uv rays randomly into strangers. If either were true then there would be a good argument for changes.

Does this mean Police will be arresting/fining smokers caught?

I'm off behind the bike sheds. . .

i think it will be like the street wardens who will be doing it armed with video cameras and a air freshner

either that or they will have a shop a smoker helpline:rolleyes:

60 per day man, and un-changeable. I stopped going to Pubs a long time ago. Danger zones - yes! Full of idiots and often tanked up hooligans. Stopped going to restaurants, I can cook better and cheaper at home. Stopped going out in fact, which is what this Nanny State government would seem to prefer.

Next?? - - My home is an enclosed semi public place! Visited by various "Employees"? of delivery companies, council officials (Un-invited) and the like.

It still is a smoke free zone. I will offer a fag to anyone! For how long though??