The Welfare State..

Everyone being made to pay a part of their Council Tax. Then there's the Bedroom Tax. Benefit names changed. Disabled being assessed for ESA, PIP.

How are you affected by all the changes? Are you losing sleep worrying how to keep your head above water?

The people I've spoken to regarding this are having a horrific time trying to make ends meet.

What's your experience?

Please no replys along the lines of, 'Go get a job'. This is a thread aimed at the people who are suffering genuine hardship for whatever reason.

I am not entitled to claim a penny. I face the same hardships as those you talk about, the only difference us I have to work for the little I do get, my taxes fund those you see as victims.

The "Bedroom Tax" wouldn't be such a bad thing if the smaller property was there for people to move into. But there isn't, so people have no choice. It's unjust.

Mod Note

Posts insulting other users have been removed.

Keep it civil please, attack the argument and not the person making it.

I work part time (would like to earn full time but my employer has no extra hours), and I earn just above the threshold for recieving benefits. Thankfully I don't have children.

For the most part I do not begrudge people the benefits they recieve.

I feel a lot of sympathy for those who have to go through the work capability assessment administered by atos. And angry that many disabled people have lost their lives shortly after being told by atos that they no longer qualify for their benefits.

Typical that in the face of such hardship much of the press go on about scroungers living the life of riley. They very rarely question and help bring to book the corporate welfare queens, the tax fraudsters, and the shysters that leech a living on the backs of the poor.

I am not entitled to claim a penny. I face the same hardships as those you talk about, the only difference us I have to work for the little I do get, my taxes fund those you see as victims.

I, my, me ... says it all

My bold:-

To each according to their need,

From each according to their ability to pay.

I, my, me ... says it all

Yep, He's all right, Jack:- pull up the ladder!

its already making me very stressed out, i live alone, on jsa so i am being hit by the double whammy of a £17 bedroom tax, plus the £5 council tax. thats a huge chunk out of the £71 a week, then of course the other living expenses..... like food!!.. but being single it is not considered a priority for move into a one bed... so its a case of getting deeper into debt until the court order arrives to take possession of the house i have lived in for 22 years.

I work part time (would like to earn full time but my employer has no extra hours), and I earn just above the threshold for recieving benefits. Thankfully I don't have children.

For the most part I do not begrudge people the benefits they recieve.

I feel a lot of sympathy for those who have to go through the work capability assessment administered by atos. And angry that many disabled people have lost their lives shortly after being told by atos that they no longer qualify for their benefits.

Typical that in the face of such hardship much of the press go on about scroungers living the life of riley. They very rarely question and help bring to book the corporate welfare queens, the tax fraudsters, and the shysters that leech a living on the backs of the poor.

Well said Mister M.

the double whammy of a £17 bedroom tax, plus the £5 council tax. thats a huge chunk out of the £71 a week

You can apply for Discretionary Housing Payment off the council, if you're really struggling.

Still not a nice place to be though. Chin up.

You can apply for Discretionary Housing Payment off the council, if you're really struggling.

Still not a nice place to be though. Chin up.

Massive problems with DHP, Chris...

Everyone and their grandfathers are applying to the council for the DHP. Eeven those genuinely in hardship are being turned down for it. It is being spread so thinly, amongst so many people, that it's practically depleted the pathetic amount the government have given the city to allocate to the needy.

The whole point is, it's by definition discretionary, and therefore you have no guarantee of being allocated it. I have been turned down, and am in the process of appealing against it.

its already making me very stressed out, i live alone, on jsa so i am being hit by the double whammy of a £17 bedroom tax, plus the £5 council tax. thats a huge chunk out of the £71 a week, then of course the other living expenses..... like food!!.. but being single it is not considered a priority for move into a one bed... so its a case of getting deeper into debt until the court order arrives to take possession of the house i have lived in for 22 years.

Do you know you can get housing priority if you are under occupying? It can't be nice being forced to move, but wouldn't it would be better to try and downsize rather than wait to be evicted? Speak to someone in the housing department about your situation before it gets out of hand.

There are quite a few one bedroomed flats advertised at the moment: http://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/filterpage.asp?pagefrom=thisweek&ID=3052EF7507E64619891BED3C76FCD01C