Royal Mail to be privatised

Yes and it's a great way for greedy ministers to trouser more money.

The New Labour gruesome twosome Alan Milburn and Patricia Hewitt, both enthusiastic supporters of bringing in private health into the NHS are financially very well rewarded by some lucrative posts on the boards of private health companies.

Ditto the ex Tory Health secretary Andrew Lansley, ditto David Cameron's privatisation adviser Sean Worth has become a lobbying consultant to a private company which sells healthcare to the NHS.

Iain Duncan Smith's adviser is paid for by a think tank he sat up which lobbies their department

Key figures in the Thatcher government which became known for its zeal in privatising 'the family silver' also found lucrative private sector work - Cecil Parkinson, Norman Tebbit, Nicholas Ridley, John Redwood are amongst the high profile names that have gone through the lucrative revolving door from cabinet office to the boardroom.

My other half has just said similar well the people that have slagged of the royal mail will get a far worse service once its in private hands like it was said in the house of commons Royal Mail privitised Queens head for sale and it wont be a six day delivery for long .........x

So the Royal Mail is going to be privatised and 10% of the company (which belongs to the Nation) is going to be given (not sold) to the employees.

The CWU (which presumably represents the CWU, - because it doesn't seem to represent the Postal Workers - has said it is going to try to block the IPO. If it is (partially) successful, then the Post Office may be sold to (a) foreign organisation(s).

(If that happens, don't blame the government - it will be the Union which is to blame.)

If the CWU manages to get away with it, then the money the government receives from the sale (money they will be spending on you) will be rather less than it would've been.

It's easy to see why the union don't want the workers to become owners of the company. - If the workers own it, they may well not put up with crap from the union and the union would have less power.

It will all be Thatcher's fault, of course.

Tory policy will get pretty shaky in the future when they run out of things to sell off.

It's been shakey for the last 3 years and they haven't fully privatised anything yet!

---------- Post added 10-07-2013 at 19:41 ----------

So the Royal Mail is going to be privatised and 10% of the company (which belongs to the Nation) is going to be given (not sold) to the employees.

The CWU (which presumably represents the CWU, - because it doesn't seem to represent the Postal Workers - has said it is going to try to block the IPO. If it is (partially) successful, then the Post Office may be sold to (a) foreign organisation(s).

(If that happens, don't blame the government - it will be the Union which is to blame.)

If the CWU manages to get away with it, then the money the government receives from the sale (money they will be spending on you) will be rather less than it would've been.

It's easy to see why the union don't want the workers to become owners of the company. - If the workers own it, they may well not put up with crap from the union and the union would have less power.

It will all be Thatcher's fault, of course.

No it won't be the unions fault you thickett, it will be the ConDems who privatised it.

It's been shakey for the last 3 years and they haven't fully privatised anything yet!

---------- Post added 10-07-2013 at 19:41 ----------

No it won't be the unions fault you thickett, it will be the ConDems who privatised it.

Well, we certainly don't want the workers owning the business do we? - Because if they did, they'd be the bosses and we really need the workers to stay exactly where they are and do what the unions tell them to do.

Well, we certainly don't want the workers owning the business do we? - Because if they did, they'd be the bosses and we really need the workers to stay exactly where they are and do what the unions tell them to do.

Workers owning the business LOL!!! many of them will be having to find another business to work in soon if Royal Mail follows the familar pattern of the other privatised companies. The others lucky enough to survive the chop, can look forwards to wage erosion and a general decline in their hard-won terms of employment.

The only people who'll benefit from this are the ConDems wealthy friends and backers in the City.

Unless at the IPO it's massively undervalued against it's assett base I'm struggling to see the upside here. Contracting business market, masses of new competition taking all the most profitable bits off it and still the millstone of the USO round it's neck. I know the Post Office is trying to be a telco and an ISP and a bank but it's a bit part player in all those markets. Parcelforce struggle in this country so I can't see them breaking into foreign markets as the likes of TNT and UPS have here. GLS is solid enough but it's pretty much got every market it can so again where's the upside?

Unless it's at fire sale prices I'll leave it.

Unless at the IPO it's massively undervalued against it's assett base I'm struggling to see the upside here. Contracting business market, masses of new competition taking all the most profitable bits off it and still the millstone of the USO round it's neck. I know the Post Office is trying to be a telco and an ISP and a bank but it's a bit part player in all those markets. Parcelforce struggle in this country so I can't see them breaking into foreign markets as the likes of TNT and UPS have here. GLS is solid enough but it's pretty much got every market it can so again where's the upside?

Unless it's at fire sale prices I'll leave it.

Pretty much the case. Though the Post Office is not part of the deal, and when they create something useful i.e. a Bank that works National Giro it gets sold off at knock down price by the Government to a Clearing Bank. GLS staff are not being given shares so that suggests it will be sold off to the opposition asap it is a very good player in that market. It was even suggested the whole thing would be sold off to a competitor just so they could get their hands on GLS and then dispose of the rump piecemeal. Think the CWU would cause too much trouble to allow that to happen, although there will still be plenty of that. Since Parcel Force was downsized to concentrate on more lucrative products it has done quite well and increases market share. However many of the competitors are owned by parent companies that offer goods retail or on-line. These support the carriers when times are hard, PFW are just a Logistic company.

Nothing more than a bribe to accept privatisation.

Not even a bribe because the shares only exsist on paper

When you think about it does the country need to own a delivery service? especially when you bare in mind that it is in direct competition with schools and hospitals for public money.

Does this mean we will receive a better standard of service for the price we pay or will the prices rise again and the service as bad as ever?

Does this mean we will receive a better standard of service for the price we pay or will the prices rise again and the service as bad as ever?

I suspect it will depend on where you live.

In Sheffield, we could possibly do quite well out of Royal Mail privatisation as we are a major city so lots of money to be made.

If you live out in the sticks, I think the opposite will come into play.