Train announcement makes Sheffield sound like a den of thieves

I would say it's a good thing to be pre warned. It doesn't make our city look bad. Surely most people realize that every big city nowadays has thieves, pickpockets etc. and if they don't they must have been living in cloud cuckoo land and need to be warned. Better than shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, it's too late then !

As someone who seems to be on trains far too often, I can't say I have.

Me either and I train it into Liverpool quite a bit.

Mind you, you can hear when thieves are approaching, their shellsuits rustle. :)

I read somewhere that when people hear a tannoy announcement warning of pickpockets operating they invariably feel to see if they still have their wallet / purse ,indicating to the 'thieves' which pocket their wallet / purse is in .

Just had a natter with the transport police based at Sheffield station - nice fellas. As some of you have mentioned, it's great that awareness is being raised and they were happy the train company was helping with that. They appeared a bit miffed that the message said 'pick pockets are operating in the area' when there isn't an issue at present (over a year ago there was from a certain group which was dealt with). Of course, there's always crime but they explained that some other regional cities have a high rate, which we don't. They felt the message needed tweaking to successfully raise awareness whilst being fair on the currently well managed situation in Sheffield. Be vigilant but content in the fact that Sheffield station is as safe, if not safer than other stations. Thanks for sharing your views good people :)

I caught the train from York to Sheffield today and as we arrived into Sheffield station the train manager said the usual 'careful when alighting from the train, bla bla bla' but then, as a warning to us all, she added 'be careful of your belongings as pick pockets are operating in this area'. What a poor impression to make for anyone on that train arriving or passing through Sheffield. We'd passed through Leeds and Wakefield with no similar warnings.

Once I'd survived the muggers and light fingered scum that were plaguing all the platforms (!), I had a word with the station staff who said they'd not heard of any issues. I'm at the station tomorrow and plan to ask the transport police if we've an issue. Once I've chatted with the transport coppers I'll get in touch with cross country.

I'm proud of this city and I'm on a mission to clear our name from this misguided train lady. Maybe she's got a vendetta against sunny Sheffield, maybe someone from Sheffield once dumped her, who knows, but has anyone else experienced this????

Sounds like pro ticket barrier propaganda!

I agree with <bothyman>. I guess that repeating the "pickpockets in the area" warning will strengthen Northern Rail's case to eventually put up their ticket barriers.

Often hear it in Leeds station, never heard it at Sheffield though!

I wouldn't have thought there was vendetta by the train manager. It could just be something she says when the train is pulling into other stations also.

As a long standing commuter (between Sheffield and Doncaster), the conductors' faces are all familiar to me now, as is their patter on the tannoy. All have their own individual characters. Some will just say, for example, '...Meadowhall', and that's it, whilst others think they are Tony Blackburn, wittering on and on about all sorts.

We'd passed through Leeds and Wakefield with no similar warnings.

Pickpockets do often operate in gangs. I'm afraid they can't be everywhere at once.

Would you have preferred no warning? Or fake warnings for Leeds and Wakefield?

If warnings were given out all the time, regardless of actual activity, wouldn't people tune them out after a while?

Here's someone complaining that they received no warning about a gang of pickpockets operating in Meadowhall [LINK]

People make it easy for thieves, opportunists and pro's, wallets and mobiles clearly outlined in pockets or visible in open bags. Handbags under chairs in foodcourts and coffee shops so I don't have any sympathy for them. At least make them work for their rewards.

As for warnings, if you don't expect things to be nicked where the hell have you been hiding for the last half century!

I must admit that I have not heard any train staff mention pickpockets etc at any stations on my travels and I use the train a lot.

It really gets on my nerves that they have all these irrelevant announcements on trains and stations these days. Sheffield is probably one of the worst, with an automated voice constantly reeling off a list of things you can't do whilst on the station.

I don't need to know any of this, all I need to know is when my train will arrive and what platform I need to be on. Everything else is common sense.

i catch the train every weekday and have never knowingly heard a warning about pickpockets - although i travel on east midlands not crosscountry - and to be fair i tend to switch off when the announcers come on