Rivelin paddling pool protest about the opening times.

I agree to everything apart from the homeschoolers! They should be in a strict day routine too and that wouldnt included nipping to rivelin splash!

why should they?

why should they?

Because homeschooling isn't meant to be an easy ride!! It's meant to be structured daily and preferably in day hours the same as school hours to prepare them for college/uni hours etc....Its not an easy ride for mothers who can't be bothered to get up on time to take their kids to school or enforce a routine so just take them to fun thinga or let them colour in all day!!!

Edited by charlie_boy

Because homeschooling isn't meant to be an easy ride!! It's meant to be structured daily and preferably in day hours the same as school hours to prepare them for college/uni hours etc....Its not an easy ride for mothers who can't be bothered to get up on time to take their kids to school or enforce a routine so just take them to fun thinga or let them colour in all day!!!

Why is that then?

---------- Post added 12-07-2013 at 23:39 ----------

Infact, nevermind. You must be right.

Who has told you that? What a load of rot. I home educated for 27 years, never did any structure up until GCSE level as we did child led learning, there is no legal requirement for set hours, and we did try to do as many fun things as possible (never could be bothered to take them to school :)) which left us completely free to pop to the paddling pool at any time when the weather was fine, and it was usually reasonably full of other families, nurseries, childminders etc doing the same.

Edited by hennypenny

So you think they should use so many thousand extra gallons keeping the pools full when there's a water shortage instead - let the people who want to use the water pay for it. I don't believe that anyone has nowhere they can put a small paddling pool and OP was on about pre-school children

So you think only those who children from families who can afford to pay to swim/paddle should get the option? Nice.

It's not just pre-school children that enjoy paddling pools though, and as I said, the older ones put themselves and others at risk by making more dangerous choices when paddling/swimming facilities are not there.

I have read this entire thread and I don't think I've ever heard such whining in my life. I think you've got your eyes shut if you think this is a valid "protest". A totally free facility has been provided. The councils funds are limited, by the sounds of it the facility is open almost as much as its always been. People would be wise to realise quite how much we have in this country. To protest about this I think is laughable.

Edited by TimmyR

Any more name calling and those responsible will be on bans.

No, its not anything like the hours it was. And feel free to oppose my whining as much as you like. But make sure your argument is actually an informed one.

I have read this entire thread and I don't think I've ever heard such whining in my life. I think you've got your eyes shut if you think this is a valid "protest". A totally free facility has been provided. The councils funds are limited, by the sounds of it the facility is open almost as much as its always been. People would be wise to realise quite how much we have in this country. To protest about this I think is laughable.

The fact is that we had a facility, which has been available to the people of Sheffield at all times of the year, whenever they have had some free time. Without needing any supervision by officials, children have been able to play happily in a safe environment. I have never heard of an accident there, or a child being injured - I am sure there must have been a few over the years, but that is to be expected where children play, and it has not been excessive or it would have been noted.

Now we have a facility which is not available except at limited times because the authorities have decided that our children need their supervision to play there.

The trouble is that people are still going down to Rivelin on hot days, and expecting to get wet. My teenage daughter went last week with her friends, and finding the pool closed, they all went in the stream instead - which we had always avoided previously on the understanding that it wasn't safe due to pollution and broken glass etc. I have now explained to her that it isn't a good idea, and she won't do it again, but other children will. Getting wet in the sunshine is basic play for children and they will always want to do it. They used to be able to do so in safety at any time, and now they can't.

If anyone is interested in protesting the current opening times of the new splash park at Rivelin. There will be a number of people there tomorrow from 3.30. Bring a bucket of water to show your dismay at the pool only being open for weekends and and school holidays. Meaning under 5s, homeschoolers and families can not go to the pool during school times.

---------- Post added 09-07-2013 at 21:30 ----------

They have drained the pool, should anyone decide to go over the fence. Hence the buckets.

Why meet at 3:30? Why not earlier

I can't understand some of the moaners either.

The new park is so much better than the old paddling pools.There is still one of the paddling pools remaining but the other features offer a diversion which the kids seem to enjoy.

It has been well used this weekend and it's free.i also se that it is now open 7 days a week until further notice so if this weather keeps up it will continue to be well used.

We live in the immediate area and the only drawback is the amount of litter left behind ,not so much inside the fenced area but certainly across the river on the grassed area.I know the bins were overflowing but you can always take it home with you,especially the soiled disposable nappies.

A special mention to the woman who parked on Walkley Bank Rd and threw her Burger King carrier and contents into the woods as she walked down the road.hope to see you again,but without the tattooed hulk at your side.

I can't understand some of the moaners either.

The new park is so much better than the old paddling pools.There is still one of the paddling pools remaining but the other features offer a diversion which the kids seem to enjoy.

It has been well used this weekend and it's free.i also se that it is now open 7 days a week until further notice so if this weather keeps up it will continue to be well used.

We live in the immediate area and the only drawback is the amount of litter left behind ,not so much inside the fenced area but certainly across the river on the grassed area.I know the bins were overflowing but you can always take it home with you,especially the soiled disposable nappies.

A special mention to the woman who parked on Walkley Bank Rd and threw her Burger King carrier and contents into the woods as she walked down the road.hope to see you again,but without the tattooed hulk at your side.

Its pretty good, I was there yesterday in the company of a two year old, and she enjoyed herself. We had to have an adult in the paddling pool at all times though as some of the bigger kids were a bit random in their behaviour and the littlies were in danger of being knocked over. I agree with you about the litter, it was already evident by lunch time when there was plenty of room in the bins. We had a picnic, bagged it all up and if there hadn't been room in a bin, it would have gone home with us.

No excuse for disposable nappies either, there are baby changing facilities in the loos, used nappies can be disposed of there. Unfortunately, some people have no interest in anything that doesn't benefit themselves directly.