Rivelin paddling pool protest about the opening times.

I totally agree, it is a piece of Sheffield history that has always brought all types of people together. Their claims to make it accessible for all has done the exact opposite.

Have you asked Parks & Countryside?

Is it a question of funding?

Could you set up a "Friends" group that could attract external funding to keep it open more often?

Particularly, when funds are available to non governmental organisations for the promotion of swimming, fitness and access for all?

If anyone is interested in protesting the current opening times of the new splash park at Rivelin. There will be a number of people there tomorrow from 3.30. Bring a bucket of water to show your dismay at the pool only being open for weekends and and school holidays. Meaning under 5s, homeschoolers and families can not go to the pool during school times.

---------- Post added 09-07-2013 at 21:30 ----------

They have drained the pool, should anyone decide to go over the fence. Hence the buckets.

I'd be surprised if the pools were that popular on November evenings, or when frozen over in January. But still they will be open every weekend.

It's worth remembering that the current opening times are pretty much the same as the old opening times: see this snapshot of the council site from 2004:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040326182052/http://www2.sheffield.gov.uk/services/del/PWC.htm#Parks

Rivelin Valley Park has a wide variety of playground equipment to suit all ages and a children's paddling pool which is open for splashdown during the summer months.

Yes I have spoke to parks and recreation. I was told it was closed at these times due to financial issues. Despite the fact that the "improvements" were done to make the park more accessible for disabled children. If that is the case, why is it shut when disabled children would be more likely to want to access it?

As for health and safety the splash park is based on the design of the park at Millhouses and has the same person in charge. Millhouses is open during term time and does not have supervison other then parental.

As for paddling in November then granted that would be a bit cold however the weather in this country being what it is. It is not unheard of to be extremely warm in early spring, through to late october.

Did they answer your questions?

I can surmise ....

Any new council developments of this sort must be accessible to all. Any disabled lobby may have more success in attracting necessary funding for your cause.

Was one of the problems that developed before the old pools were closed, one of litter and glass increasing the risk to users.

Is that not possibly part of the reason they get drained between openings?

Create a local group that is prepared to legally take over management of the site, attract funding and see what can develop.

The council, alone, is unlikely to find money to satisfy your wishes.

Did they answer your questions?

I can surmise ....

Any new council developments of this sort must be accessible to all. Any disabled lobby may have more success in attracting necessary funding for your cause.

Was one of the problems that developed before the old pools were closed, one of litter and glass increasing the risk to users.

Is that not possibly part of the reason they get drained between openings?

Create a local group that is prepared to legally take over management of the site, attract funding and see what can develop.

The council, alone, is unlikely to find money to satisfy your wishes.

Nope the council stated that the financial issues were due to the pools needing maintenance. The actual maintenance required were the filteration system. Nothing to do with the external features. They mentioned nothing about the rubbish or glass. Though they did mention staffing issues. Despite the park caretaker being the same one they have had for years. I have asked for the contact details of the organisations involved with the funding. So will see if I get a response from them.

Nope the council stated that the financial issues were due to the pools needing maintenance. The actual maintenance required were the filteration system. Nothing to do with the external features. They mentioned nothing about the rubbish or glass. Though they did mention staffing issues. Despite the park caretaker being the same one they have had for years. I have asked for the contact details of the organisations involved with the funding. So will see if I get a response from them.

I hope something comes out of it. Try and get a Councillor to take up your cause.

It's disgraceful.

The council have closed proper paddling pools across the city that were open all summer and replaced them with these splash parks that we didn't want.

And now, the thousands of Sheffielders who flock to Clifton park can't even do that as that is shut for the holidays!

Kids want to cool down. They don't want to queue half an hour for a squirt of water in a splash pool.

RESULT: When I last went to Millhouses park on a hot day there was loads of kids who had decided the river was the only place to cool down.

Have you seen the front page of the Star today?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/video-sheffield-hero-rescues-boy-sinking-in-sludge-1-5836096

Firefighters report tragic events similar to the one in the article.

Our kids are putting themselves in danger. The council urgently need to address the complete lack of any outdoor paddling/swimming facilities.

They charge for parking in parks, they get rid of paddling pools. They close leisure centres. Do they want a city full of fatties in 10 years time?

Have you considered buying your own paddling pool?

Have you considered buying your own paddling pool?

Of course.

Have you considered though that many families don't even have a garden, and many families on water meters are struggling to make ends meet, as it is? Add to that the neighbours scoffing because you are using water when it's usually been 'restricted use' as soon as the sun comes out, thanks to Yorkshire Water's brilliant management, even though they waste thousands and thousands of gallons every year by not responding to leaks quickly enough.

Kids need freedom, they need social opportunities outside school, paddling pools and opportunities for outdoor swimming should be accessible to all kids in the UK.

It's not usually young kids of 'garden paddling pool' age that put themselves at risk in rivers and lakes, it's usually the older kids who want something more than their back garden.

Edited by Mr Bloom

I hope something comes out of it. Try and get a Councillor to take up your cause.

Thank you and yes that's a good idea.

---------- Post added 10-07-2013 at 14:22 ----------

If anyone wants to join us to oppose the times we will be on the bridge at the gates of the splash park. Hope to see you there.

---------- Post added 10-07-2013 at 18:00 ----------

We had a good turn out and local councillors turned up which was a lovely surprise.

As for paddling in November then granted that would be a bit cold however the weather in this country being what it is. It is not unheard of to be extremely warm in early spring, through to late october.

I think it should be open as long as possible. And after all, being open during school holidays presumably means being open at Easter etc. when it can be chilly.

I was really just pointing out that the new opening hours are the same as the old opening hours. Your argument is actually that the opening hours should be longer than they used to be; but the impression given was that they had been reduced, which is not the case so far as I can tell.

---------- Post added 10-07-2013 at 19:00 ----------

It's disgraceful.

The council have closed proper paddling pools across the city that were open all summer and replaced them with these splash parks that we didn't want.

You're right about the shame of closing leisure facilities. But it's useful to bear context in mind.

So the Millhouses pool which was built in 1929 (there was one back in 1909 when the park was bought by the council) was closed in the 1960s and a lido replaced it in 1970. The lido closed in 1988.

So it's true that "the council" closed the pool, but not recently. The point is that it was left derelict for so long.

Edited by Dannyno

I think it should be open as long as possible. And after all, being open during school holidays presumably means being open at Easter etc. when it can be chilly.

I was really just pointing out that the new opening hours are the same as the old opening hours. Your argument is actually that the opening hours should be longer than they used to be; but the impression given was that they had been reduced, which is not the case so far as I can tell.

No the hours have been reduced. The pools were open from late spring to august on a daily basis including during term time. Which is now not the case. Hence being less accessible rather then more accessible. You reduce the hours to school holidays and weekends only, then the likely hood is that it will be too busy for it to be accessible to a child with disabilities. Which is why the grant was given.