Rivelin paddling pool protest about the opening times.

If anyone is interested in protesting the current opening times of the new splash park at Rivelin. There will be a number of people there tomorrow from 3.30. Bring a bucket of water to show your dismay at the pool only being open for weekends and and school holidays. Meaning under 5s, homeschoolers and families can not go to the pool during school times.

---------- Post added 09-07-2013 at 21:30 ----------

They have drained the pool, should anyone decide to go over the fence. Hence the buckets.

I am bringing three buckets, a mum friend and five kids aged 1-7 years.

Any media publicity planned? Has anyone phoned Sheffield Star or Look North?

So definitely tmrw, Wed 10th at 3.30pm?

There is a post on the Sheffield star facebook page. So hopefully, but for them to come out it would need to be a good turn out. At least we have the weather on our side.

The page that you link too just shows what we are opposing. The pool is only open at weekends and holidays.

The page that you link too just shows what we are opposing. The pool is only open at weekends and holidays.

Don't you think that it is a good idea that the general public should get some idea as to the subject of your "protest"?

Would you like to provide some additional references?

Is the pool supervised when open?

As it states in the original post. We are opposing the pool, only being open weekends and school holidays.

The pool has never been supervised and still wont be.

What a joke! Millhouses water features are rubbish imo, Clifton park's water part isn't running and may not be until late august due to work and Matlock is a fair way if your using public transport.

We do have the peace gardens but to be honest I'm not keen on paddling (well getting soaked) in the middle of town with the little one.

Have you got any response from Parks & Countryside, when you asked them why it couldn't be opened more frequently? and why it was drained when not open?

As much as I hate it, you need to consider how litigation works these days.

If you provide a facility, don't maintain its safety and someone gets injured, you are open to being taken to the cleaners.

Edited by cgksheff

What a joke! Millhouses water features are rubbish imo, Clifton park's water part isn't running and may not be until late august due to work and Matlock is a fair way if your using public transport.

We do have the peace gardens but to be honest I'm not keen on paddling (well getting soaked) in the middle of town with the little one.

I totally agree, it is a piece of Sheffield history that has always brought all types of people together. Their claims to make it accessible for all has done the exact opposite.

My little one starts school in September and we were trying to do as many low cost trips in term time as we could and when the weather is like this splash areas and paddling pools are more than welcome. At weekends and holidays these types of areas can get overcrowded and become daunting for pre-schoolers, it's so unfair.

It's 2 for 1 to Cleethorpes at the minute on the train making it £22 for two adults so that's not a bad deal if you have under 5's.

Im a little too far to join the protest but wish you all the best, I was just asking a friend yesterday after visiting millhouses what rivelin was like as I haven't been since a child and its a shame to find this out as we were looking forward to going once they were open.