Need advice over getting a dog with a small child

I know a few people are going to kick off here when i say this but a staffy...

We have had ours since a pup and she is amazing with my son (2). She wont even take food from him. It is a shame they have a bad rep but i would rather get a staffy as a family dog then say a collie.

Another good thing with staffys is you know when they are getting pee'ed off, There hairs start to spike up on the base of the tail and all up there back.

Just remember everyone has there own views.

You will find most of us know the true nature of Staffies on here & get really angry that the reputation of these loving dogs have been ruined by idiots owning them. Before that they were known as nanny dogs. It's just common sense no matter what breed you never leave a dog alone with a child.

I would wait until your daughter is through her terrible twos before getting a dog, if only because I've been on the receiving end of a full terrible twos tantrum and irrelevant of how much the dog could hurt the child, when they're happening the child could be a serious risk to the dog too.

I would also consider getting a dog that is already an adult and is already toilet trained and of known temperament. Clearly I'm biased and would get a GSD, but there are lots of GSDs that I wouldn't home around children too, so it comes down to the individual dog, no matter what breed you're looking at.

I would advise waiting a bit longer too.

However, if you want to go down the route of a younger dog, I'd go for one like these two:

http://ineedahome.co.uk/index.php/adopt-a-dog/2690-suki2

http://ineedahome.co.uk/index.php/adopt-a-dog/2796-a-pup-called-lexi

Both of those have been in a foster home with young children. Choosing a dog that's been in a foster home with children makes it a bit safer in my opinion sometimes.

have you thought about chihuahua's there really good pets and small as well, we have a long haired one, and he loves children, :)

Hi, we have young children and we are also looking for a dog. You can see my recent thread. We have always had dogs but ours died recently. My children are 5 and 2. Have to say I am finding it hard to find the right dog, that suits us and also the children, though we are still looking and thinking about it all. What I would say is (and I don't expect you to answer this) but if you do decide to have another baby, it becomes very hard work. When we had our second baby we did regret having a dog. Fortunately he was an mature settled dog who didn't ask a lot. Now our kids will be 3 and 6 this year, life is a bit more settled, we get more sleep (most of the time!) but recent years have been tough. When my eldest started school, getting her out to school, and getting a stroppy toddler ready, and nursery drop off before work, whilst also having to walk a dog, inevitably at 6am, and often in the dark isn't a lot of fun! Though you may have people to help you which makes it easier. Good luck with your search. It is a lot of fun. Bear in mind you will need the dog not just to get on with your family but other peoples childen when they start coming for tea, birthday parties etc :-)

I would second a Chi, or even a Dachs. Softest dogs ever with kids

I have an 8 month old daughter. She came into a dog loving family.

I have 2 jacks, a lurcher and a Norwich x westie

My mum has 2 cockers (formerly mine), 3 labs and 2 kelpies

His mum has 4 jacks

His dad has a collie

His sister 2 jacks and a collie

He a collie x jack and a lab

Whilst I would never leave her alone with any of these, I am happy that she is "ok" with all of mine, my mums and her fathers. I do not know enough about grandads or aunts dogs save for aunts collie who has bitten one of her children previously so I won't allow my daughter in aunts house. Apparently I don't have the right to say that according to certain quarters!

---------- Post added 10-07-2013 at 21:35 ----------

She holds her arms out to mine and they dutifully stroll up to be Babied, mums young lab lays with her (he's waiting for cast off food, but always offers one of his toys as a swap!!!!). She will be taught (by him too I'm sure) to respect all animals and will hit the ground running