Classic Picture House - fizhallam square

Can anyone remember the classic picture house in fitzhallam square? Anyone know where I can find pictures of it?

Can anyone remember the classic picture house in fitzhallam square? Anyone know where I can find pictures of it?

TRY picture sheffield.com and ask for it!

Hi ALANRADCLIFF - welcome to the Forum!.:) As pigeon wrote there are some photos of the Classic on the picturesheffield.com site - here is a link to one of them.

The Classic was previously the News Theatre, and before that the Electra Palace. You may like to look at this thread, also here.

Hi Pigeon and Hillsbro thank you for the links very interesting to look at and remember the happy days

The old News Theatre was where you finished up if you couldn't get in the pictures on a Saturday night (and were too young to drink).

Pathe newsreels, travelogues - "Now as the sun goes down, we say farewell to our friendly neighbor to the North", cartoons, 3 Stooges, Joe McDoak and Leon Errol comedy shorts.

It was basically TV (before TV) in a public place.

I seem to recall it being the Cartoon Cinema immediately after the News Theatre? Stand to be corrected though.

I seem to recall it being the Cartoon Cinema immediately after the News Theatre?
Quite right - that was its name between 1959 and 1962, when it showed cartoons and newsreels only - see here.

Hi Pigeon and Hillsbro thank you for the links very interesting to look at and remember the happy days

I can remember a very nice Indian restaurant nearby cauld have even been underneath the classic:confused:

I can remember a very nice Indian restaurant nearby cauld have even been underneath the classic:confused:

The Indus, it can be seen in the link provided by hillsbro,see post #03),

here is another picturesheffield image

Hi The last time l walked through the doors of that building it was called the Elektra and had a snooker hall underneath Cheers Arfer

Can anyone remember the classic picture

house in fitzhallam square? Anyone know where I can find pictures of it?

------------------http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Wigfallsinsq_zps1b0956c6.jpg

Hiya Alanradcliff, Sending you pictures of Classic cinama, the

old News Theatre Fitzalan sq.

In the 1950s i went to see Rob Roy at the news theatre and while

queuing outside they were knocking rest of Marples pub down from

the the Bomb blasts. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 10-07-2013 at 20:46 ----------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Wigfallsinsq_zps1b0956c6.jpg

Heres you picture Alanradcliff, didn't work first time.

Hope you like.