Has Ed Miliband lost the plot?

It seems that Ed Miliband is desperately trying to improve his poll image as his popularity rating plunges even lower. Even lower than Clegg...

As Labour's poll lead drops as the economy improves it seems our Ed is set on desperate measures to improve his image.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ed-miliband-prepares-to-curb-union-power-as-polls-show-fall-in-labour-lead-over-conservatives-8693810.html

Ed Miliband prepares to curb union power as polls show fall in Labour lead over Conservatives

Ed Miliband will this week unveil proposals to reduce the power of trade union bosses inside the Labour Party as he tries to regain the initiative in his battle with the country’s biggest union.

The pressure on Mr Miliband will be increased by The Independent’s latest poll of polls, which shows that Labour’s lead over the Conservatives has fallen from 13 to six points in the past four months. Mr Miliband’s personal ratings have dropped to their lowest since the spring of last year. These figures were compiled before the controversy with Unite and could get worse if the public regards Labour as divided.

Like any other politican, he just says what he thinks the public want to here because without the public politicans are nothing.

Don't believe what you hear in the newspapers too, they are never independant of political parties too, regardless if they claim to be. If a politicians says something it is screwed out of all proportion to make them appear to say something they haven't, whether it's for disceditation or sunsationalist hype.

Edited by Mecky

for non-labour supporters, the labour party's close ties with the unions is often seen as a vote loser.

for a lot of voters (including labour supporters) attempts by a union to impose one of its preferred candidates would be detrimental to the party's electoral prospects

on these bases, isn't it the case that ed miliband's attempts to curb union influence on his party (or at least give the impression that is what he is doing) is a sign of a leader who knows exactly what the plot is and what he needs to do about it as opposed to someone who has lost it

whether or not he will be successful, and whether or not it will improve his electoral chances if he is, are two entirely different questions

Labour has a history of not getting rid of leaders who are not up to the job and aren't going to win them the next election - Foot, Kinnock and Brown for example. Miliband may be a decent MP but he is not leadership material. Unless he improves his presentation skills and begins to look like he knows what he is talking about then I can see the Tories getting a majority at the next election as Labour and Lib-Dem supporters don't bother turning out. As much as I dislike Cameron he does know how to get a point across. Miliband sounds like someone out of his depth in the political argument stakes.

for non-labour supporters, the labour party's close ties with the unions is often seen as a vote loser.

for a lot of voters (including labour supporters) attempts by a union to impose one of its preferred candidates would be detrimental to the party's electoral prospects

on these bases, isn't it the case that ed miliband's attempts to curb union influence on his party (or at least give the impression that is what he is doing) is a sign of a leader who knows exactly what the plot is and what he needs to do about it as opposed to someone who has lost it

whether or not he will be successful, and whether or not it will improve his electoral chances if he is, are two entirely different questions

Would a decent leader have got his party into the position where union leaders were rigging your ballots in the first place? I think not.

Would a decent leader have got his party into the position where union leaders were rigging your ballots in the first place? I think not.

But it's not only Labour who rigged votes as pointed out earlier. Whether it's the unions, Labour or whoever undertakes vote rigging is irrelevant.

His brother as Labour leader would have been the better choice

David Cameron has a slight edge on charisma and regardless of policies the image of a leader does matter to some of the voting public

But it's not only Labour who rigged votes as pointed out earlier. Whether it's the unions, Labour or whoever undertakes vote rigging is irrelevant.

Just remind us who put in place the system of electing candidates that allows a union to stuff ballot boxes.

Just remind us who put in place the system of electing candidates that allows a union to stuff ballot boxes.

I don't know, I wasn't born at that time nor were you I suspect. What's that got to do with the price of fish anyway? Vote rigging happens in all political circles and is irrelevant if X,Y,Z does it.

I don't know, I wasn't born at that time nor were you I suspect. What's that got to do with the price of fish anyway? Vote rigging happens in all political circles and is irrelevant if X,Y,Z does it.

Are you suggesting that if Cameron had been found to be rigging things you wouldn't be pointing it out?

from your posts i deduce you are not a supporter of ed miliband

i can understand why you might have such an opinion

i can't understand why you believe the news item you linked to indicates that he has "lost the plot"

Its quite amusing that he will "unveil proposals to reduce the power of trade union bosses inside the Labour Party" when this is is exactly what put him in his current position in the first place!

But I don't think he's losing the plot, and his popularity has dipped because of this union vote rigging business, and the amusing "death-stare" picture taken yesterday at Wimbledon!