Pride Sheffield today

I didn't want to provoke any heated discussion.

It's only an internet forum, and this happens every year.

The same old "gay pride isn't neccessary" / "what harm is it doing?" routine. A blatant bigot might turn up to spice it all up. Life rolls on.

Thank you :) I was nervous to post it to be honest... I didn't want to provoke any heated discussion.

Depending on how this thread goes, I might post it again... I've copied the text.

I read it, and whilst i can understand why you deleted it, i think you should have left it.

There's no real gay hate on here, just a few paranoid people who expect you to endorse their views to the letter, so it usually kicks off, which is mainly petty sniping to be honest.

A lot of people still find homsexuality dirty and offensive but they're not allowed to say it anymore.

They are allowed to say it.

They're just not allowed to say it without people telling them they're wrong. That's the difference.

Would you agree or disagree with their statement?

I went to pride yesterday and I honestly thought it was one of the nicest events I've been to. I get homophonic comments said to me, albeit not often, but they are enough to make me feel down.

I held my boyfriend's hand for the first time in public for the 2 years I've been seeing him inside the event. It is the only forum, besides gay bars, where I feel I can do this. I would like to be able to do this anywhere, but will people think I'm 'rubbing in their faces' if I did? Would I get more negative comments? I feel that people don't want to see it. I will not be able to walk from one end of the city to the other, holding his hand, without receiving a negative comment. I would probably get positive comments too! But the negatives ones should not happen.

Call it pride, a party, or whatever you want. You may not like some people who attend, but just remember that everybody is different. If some people want to be noticed and be whatever they may want, let them if it makes them happy. That's something we all have a right to.

I'm not provoking any argument here. Just wanted to put my views out there.

Yes....but when are you going to make the controversial post?:huh:

Yes....but when are you going to make the controversial post?:huh:

You should edit that quote out mate, he chose not to share it with hindsight.

Be a good fella. ;)

Hope you understand that's more than enough to get you labelled homophobic on here. You have to vocally endorse it, or you're a hater. :hihi:
Ha ha, yeah, thanks for the warning. Maybe I should give it a bash. Ooops, blown it now. :banana:

I went to pride yesterday and I honestly thought it was one of the nicest events I've been to. I get homophonic comments said to me, albeit not often, but they are enough to make me feel down.

I held my boyfriend's hand for the first time in public for the 2 years I've been seeing him inside the event. It is the only forum, besides gay bars, where I feel I can do this. I would like to be able to do this anywhere, but will people think I'm 'rubbing in their faces' if I did? Would I get more negative comments? I feel that people don't want to see it. I will not be able to walk from one end of the city to the other, holding his hand, without receiving a negative comment. I would probably get positive comments too! But the negatives ones should not happen.

Call it pride, a party, or whatever you want. You may not like some people who attend, but just remember that everybody is different. If some people want to be noticed and be whatever they may want, let them if it makes them happy. That's something we all have a right to.

Depends on the location, as you'll know Sheffield is quite behind when it comes to equalities. Some gay friends of ours regularly hold hands in town and where they live in Greystones, but for obvious reasons never hold hands in Pitsmoor or Darnall.

You're a reyt sh... stirrer. :hihi:

Why?

I have a great respect for people who don't hide their bigotry away. If someone doesn't like gay people then I'll argue with them and disagree, but at least it's open and honest.

Dressing up a view as "poor persecuted me. I'm not allowed to say what I want" is false.

No they're mine that's why I coloured them, sorry I don't know all the fancy stuff yet

So your comment was;

"Like I said, do what the hell you want but..

I think its how many people still feel and using terms such as
gay
solidarity, and challenge suggests that
gay
people are up for a fight and this is how it's seen

I think that there are more people against you than for you but political correctness prevents them from saying so.

Your own personal view is that it should be acceptable for
gay
people to not only do what they want but shout to the world that they're doing it, fine but just as important (in their eyes) is the need to not approve of what
gay
people do, but this is frowned upon. The argument has gone full circle and it's wrong to go public with disapproval, so in many ways they've won their battle so maybe it's time to retire."

So because you don't feel able to criticise people for being Gay in the current climate, you see this as a 'win' for Gay people and they should not promote their Gayness any longer in case it offends the homophobes who then decide to challenge the 'status quo'?

It is clear to me from threads like this that Gayness is only tolerated by a large minority because of legislation and the groundswell of support for Gay people.

Try swapping 'Black' for 'Gay' and see how it reads.

They are allowed to say it.

They're just not allowed to say it without people telling them they're wrong. That's the difference.

Would you agree or disagree with their statement?

But they don't believe that they are wrong in the same way that homosexuals have been trying to convince the world that they aren't. So who is right or wrong?

Who's statement are you referring to?

I've always been "live and let live". I spent Millennium Eve in a gay bar in Holland. I had two gay friends who owned an antique farm in Drenthe, Holland unfortunately one died of cancer last year. He was a massive and strong bloke, could lift huge oak wardrobes into the vans alone, ultra religious Dutch Reformist, great bloke, and a good mate of mine and my missus.

I am straight but don't categorise my friends as gay, black, asian, men, women, white, straight or mentally retarded.

They're just friends.

However, that there is a Gay Pride parade, only serves to agitate the prejudices of those with "them" and "us" perceptions.

I find it nothing more than an excuse for gay people to parade through a city saying "Look at me, I'm gay" and it's not really necessary to do that unless you are actively looking for attention.

That's very cosmopolitan of you Zepstox and I commend your live and let live attitude.

I think of gay pride as a means of celebrating what has been achieved and how far we've travelled. From what I've read those who marched in 1972, did so as a gesture of defiance in the face of bigots and critics who would have preferred the march to be called 'gay shame' and instead of wearing brightly coloured clothes they would be wearing sackcloths and ashes.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable getting dressed up, standing on a float, and lip synching to music through the streets of Sheffield. But there again I haven't been raised in an environment where I had to deny who I was and had to pretend to be somebody different.

I am so pleased that you did.