Pride Sheffield today

For the same reasons a hetro march is also needed, many straights face social exclusion and the alarming increase in heterophobic attacks is becoming an epidemic in cities such as Brighton.

Links, please :)

Have you ever been to Pride? If you had, you'd know it's more than just a party. Yes, there is the party/festival element to it, but if you wander around to each of the stalls and/or talk to people, you'd discover the education/campaign/education side to things[/Quote]

Exactly my point.

Who's getting educated? Because the majority of those (if not all) who attend are not in need of being educated that gay people are just like straifgt people.

Sheffield Pride used to be free until this year. Like all other events, they have suffered with funding this year, hence the fee to get in.

I know, but it defeats the point of putting on an event to promote the equality of gay people and the fact that they have as much right to be themselves as anyone else when those who need the education aren't going to see it.

It doesn't need funding, there's absolutely nothing stopping an event being organised where we all stand together and march through the city to promote equality.

Going back to the post I quoted did black and womens rights marches stop if there was no funding? Of course not, those wanting to promote gay pride will come and give their support wehether its free or not.

I'm 100% behind the idea of the gay pride march, but closing it off from the bigots who woulkd really benefit from it makes it nothing more than a party, and I can fully appreciate why (tho i dunt agree with) some people see it as a platform for gay people to say we're different.

One story, which doesn't prove anything, and a warped facebook page. Yet you claim hetrosexuals are being persecuted :roll:

I could post links to homophobic attacks, but it could take a very long to time to list them all.

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 18:41 ----------

Exactly my point.

Who's getting educated? Because the majority of those (if not all) who attend are not in need of being educated that gay people are just like straifgt people.

I know, but it defeats the point of putting on an event to promote the equality of gay people and the fact that they have as much right to be themselves as anyone else when those who need the education aren't going to see it.

It doesn't need funding, there's absolutely nothing stopping an event being organised where we all stand together and march through the city to promote equality.

Going back to the post I quoted did black and womens rights marches stop if there was no funding? Of course not, those wanting to promote gay pride will come and give their support wehether its free or not.

I'm 100% behind the idea of the gay pride march, but closing it off from the bigots who woulkd really benefit from it makes it nothing more than a party, and I can fully appreciate why (tho i dunt agree with) some people see it as a platform for gay people to say we're different.

People who take time to go, they are the ones being educated. I know many who have gone down to have a look around and come away with information and some sort of knowledge they didn't have before the event.

Guaranteed 100% if there was a gay march, the response would still be the same, if not worse. The "I'm not homophobic, but..." are exactly the same on this forum, year in year out.

One story, which doesn't prove anything, and a warped facebook page. Yet you claim hetrosexuals are being persecuted :roll:

I could post links to homophobic attacks, but it could take a very long to time to list them all.

So homosexuals are perfect and never discriminate? As proven there are hundreds of hetros being bullied, beaten and attacked for being heterosexual, many hetros in Brighton suffer in silence because it is not recognised ism.

Many are forced from council homes, loose jobs for being heterosexual because they don't fit in.

I never said hetrophobic violence is comparable to homophobic attacks but it is a growing problem

So homosexuals are perfect and never discriminate? As proven there are hundreds of hetros being bullied, beaten and attacked for being heterosexual, many hetros in Brighton suffer in silence because it is not recognised ism.

Many are forced from council homes, loose jobs for being heterosexual because they don't fit in.

I never said hetrophobic violence is comparable to homophobic attacks but it is a growing problem

To say that all gay people never discriminate or bully would be silly, however, the evidence you have provided does not prove what you stated, to quote your previous post "many straights face social exclusion and the alarming increase in heterophobic attacks is becoming an epidemic in cities such as Brighton."

Edited by Agent Orange

People who take time to go, they are the ones being educated. I know many who have gone down to have a look around and come away with information and some sort of knowledge they didn't have before the event.

Guaranteed 100% if there was a gay march, the response would still be the same, if not worse. The "I'm not homophobic, but..." are exactly the same on this forum, year in year out.

But the ones who need educating which appears to be the point im making that your missing arent going to pay to get into an event are they?

Keeping it free, allowing those who may be against gay people but don't know exactly why would give them the opportunity to get the information and mix with gay people face to face and see that gays are exaclt the same as they are.

Such people are not going to pay to get in.

The response by many if there was a march would be the same, but it would allow the opportunity that a ticketed event doesnt, some peoples minds would be changed, and that is being dissallowed by making it a ticketed event.

And some year on year soon becomes a snowball.

As it is now its like a political party conference, its preaching to the converted, how exactly will that change the pminds of people who wouldn't think to pay to get in? Homophobes aren't all the same, there are chavs, religious, people who just doin't understand etc, none of these would buy a ticlket because they don't know enough - those buying tickets almost exclusively already support the gay rights.

But the ones who need educating which appears to be the point im making that your missing arent going to pay to get into an event are they?

Keeping it free, allowing those who may be against gay people but don't know exactly why would give them the opportunity to get the information and mix with gay people face to face and see that gays are exaclt the same as they are.

Such people are not going to pay to get in.

The response by many if there was a march would be the same, but it would allow the opportunity that a ticketed event doesnt, some peoples minds would be changed, and that is being dissallowed by making it a ticketed event.

And some year on year soon becomes a snowball.

As it is now its like a political party conference, its preaching to the converted, how exactly will that change the pminds of people who wouldn't think to pay to get in? Homophobes aren't all the same, there are chavs, religious, people who just doin't understand etc, none of these would buy a ticlket because they don't know enough - those buying tickets almost exclusively already support the gay rights.

The ones who need educating are sadly the ones who are ignorant, and regardless of whether the event is free or not, they will never attend.

The ones who need educating are sadly the ones who are ignorant, and regardless of whether the event is free or not, they will never attend.

theres ignorant and ignorant, not all people against gays are out and out homophobes, many older people just dont understand, my granny was against gay people, that is until my uncle came out and she realised her perceptions had been wrong.

Having a free event at least allows the opportunity for people to be educated, i think your being too black and white saying those against gays wouldnt attend, I know people who have been to free events (not necasarily gay ones though) who were against things and have had their minds changed - in fact i know some whire muslims who previously hated muslims until they went to a tent on fargate set up to educate people - they went to ridicule them, they came out and two years later converted.

you still havent actually given a reason as to how a ticketed event can educate those who dont already support gay people.

Hardly the same thing.

I suggest you go to next year's Pride, you never know, you might have some fun. In fact, I will buy you a ticket :)

Doubt i'd be able to, it would clash with my bands performance at another festival. :)

Doubt i'd be able to, it would clash with my bands performance at another festival. :)

go on you might enjoy it - might even get a friendly snuggle :hihi:

theres ignorant and ignorant, not all people against gays are out and out homophobes, many older people just dont understand, my granny was against gay people, that is until my uncle came out and she realised her perceptions had been wrong.

Having a free event at least allows the opportunity for people to be educated, i think your being too black and white saying those against gays wouldnt attend, I know people who have been to free events (not necasarily gay ones though) who were against things and have had their minds changed - in fact i know some whire muslims who previously hated muslims until they went to a tent on fargate set up to educate people - they went to ridicule them, they came out and two years later converted.

you still havent actually given a reason as to how a ticketed event can educate those who dont already support gay people.

I didn't say they were.

Ok, lets have a free event, and bill the tax payers of Sheffield. Yes, I am sure that would go down well with everyone who thinks they already get preferential treatment. Before you say it, the council charge for the use of their open spaces so realistically, to hold this event for free... where you suggest they go?

As for your last comment... I know many people go along, who are indifferent to gay rights, and come away having enjoyed themselves and/or been educated one way or another. They get the information from the people and the stalls mentioned in my previous response. This has not changed since the introduction of an entry fee.

People will go if they want to go if they have any interest. Those that are too tight to pay could always educate themselves via the internet, befriend a gay person or go to a Pride where there is no admission fee.

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 19:26 ----------

They might book you. They always want bands to play.

Edited by Agent Orange