Pride Sheffield today

That's very cosmopolitan of you Zepstox and I commend your live and let live attitude.

I think of gay pride as a means of celebrating what has been achieved and how far we've travelled. From what I've read those who marched in 1972, did so as a gesture of defiance in the face of bigots and critics who would have preferred the march to be called 'gay shame' and instead of wearing brightly coloured clothes they would be wearing sackcloths and ashes.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable getting dressed up, standing on a float, and lip synching to music through the streets of Sheffield. But there again I haven't been raised in an environment where I had to deny who I was and had to pretend to be somebody different.

Precisely, and you don't have to and never have had to jump up and down on the rooftops. If anything the Peter Tatchells of this world have unravelled the covert and gradual acceptance many actors & musicians had achieved, by his aggressive militant actions.

Another two friends whom we let fireworks off with from their house in Deventer on Millennium Eve, were the first two "homos" to get married at Deventer town hall. They had a nice house, nice mother, served great Oudjaarsavond food and then we went to their gay nightclub because all the others were chockablok.

Okay, I said "Homos", well, in Holland that is acceptable as is neger to describe a black person. The gay community and black people in Holland are not touchy about mere words.

We're wordaphobic in this country, we have words to describe cripples, ****** (actually, a word that means black in Italian & Spanish, deleted because it offends the mods) and homos and all are now taboo, replaced by milder words, more diverse words, less upsetting to the more touchy in society but it's how our ultra soft and tender society has been moulded by people who quite clearly know far more about everything than the rest of us.

There's no argument, you are who you are, but some people just can't accept that. There is always someone who thinks they know better than everybody else.

Maybe they should have a Sheffield Forum Knowitalls Parade next year?

Edited by zepstox
Because a word was turned into stars. Thankyou ****

Amsterdam has a huge Gay Pride event too. When I was a regular tourist they had a nightclub that was called **** - not even subtle in the slightest. Holland is hardly the capital of quiet keeping-itself-to-itself homosexuality.

Precisely, and you don't have to and never have had to jump up and down on the rooftops. If anything the Peter Tatchells of this world have unravelled the covert and gradual acceptance many actors & musicians had achieved, by his aggressive militant actions.

Another two friends whom we let fireworks off with from their house in Deventer on Millennium Eve, were the first two "homos" to get married at Deventer town hall. They had a nice house, nice mother, served great Oudjaarsavond food and then we went to their gay nightclub because all the others were chockablok.

Okay, I said "Homos", well, in Holland that is acceptable as is neger to describe a black person. The gay community and black people in Holland are not touchy about mere words.

We're wordaphobic in this country, we have words to describe cripples, ****** and homos and all are now taboo, replaced by milder words, more diverse words, less upsetting to the more touchy in society but it's how our ultra soft and tender society has been moulded by people who quite clearly know far more about everything than the rest of us.

There's no argument, you are who you are, but some people just can't accept that. There is always someone who thinks they know better than everybody else.

Maybe they should have a Sheffield Forum Knowitalls Parade next year?

Yes Sheffielders are very intolerant, but everything that people do, there will always be somebody out there somewhere whom will have a problem with it.

Are Gingers accepted in Holland?

Yes Sheffielders are very intolerant, but everything that people do, there will always be somebody out there somewhere whom will have a problem with it.

Are Gingers accepted in Holland?

Ha ha, I think so. The really fair haired kids are called kaaskop (cheesehead), Ronald Koeman is a prime example. I don't hear howls of protest about it. It's accepted as a fact of life.

I wonder if SCC would allow a march of a local army battallian through the city centre in full colours with union jack flag. . A battallian that just wanted to show how proud it was of its self, and not just a march on some memorial day.

I bet it wouldn't be allowed because british personal in dress uniform can cause some people offence.

We should have an SF march.

I nominate BF the organiser. :D

Pride, why?

if LGBT. people want to be treated like the rest of the world why do they want a medal for it! will a Blue peter badge help . maybe the hetros should have a pride before end of summer

Pride, why?

Why not?

if LGBT. people want to be treated like the rest of the world why do they want a medal for it!

Who is handing medals out?

maybe the hetros should have a pride before end of summer

Go for it. Get it organised.

Why not?

Who is handing medals out?

Go for it. Get it organised.

Still struggling with sentences Chris.

I think he's speaking metaphorically regards the medals, and how about you answer a question instead of simply hitting back with a contrary remark!

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 09:52 ----------

...this one just in case you're confused.

Pride, why?

I think the level of ignorance shown on here just goes to show why Pride is still relevant in this day and age.

Do you know how many different species demonstrate homosexual relationships? Can you answer without looking for a cheap joke? What is wrong? Who defines 'wrong'?

I missed this one my apologies.

No I don't know how many and I haven't used any cheap jokes thus far.

Generally speaking right and wrong are defined by those who believe they are one or the other surely.

I've always been "live and let live". I spent Millennium Eve in a gay bar in Holland. I had two gay friends who owned an antique farm in Drenthe, Holland unfortunately one died of cancer last year. He was a massive and strong bloke, could lift huge oak wardrobes into the vans alone, ultra religious Dutch Reformist, great bloke, and a good mate of mine and my missus.

I am straight but don't categorise my friends as gay, black, asian, men, women, white, straight or mentally retarded.

They're just friends.

However, that there is a Gay Pride parade, only serves to agitate the prejudices of those with "them" and "us" perceptions.

I find it nothing more than an excuse for gay people to parade through a city saying "Look at me, I'm gay" and it's not really necessary to do that unless you are actively looking for attention.

Well in your case Gay Pride events are already preaching to the converted (no pun intended), but there are some folks still around who view homosexuality as an abhorrence and something gays should be ashamed of.