Pride Sheffield today

Mod Note

As we seem to be descending into name calling and insults, the thread has been closed for a short while to allow you all to take a breath and calm down.

Keep it civil please or the next closure will be permanent.

Can see some very cruel and hurtful things here..

Let me tell you, why we need Pride today,

Could you always have voted if you were a woman? No? events like this were made, they could vote after all the campaigning.

Did black and white individuals always have equal rights? No?

Campaigned, fought for it, got equal rights.

Can gay and straight people get married? No, they can't

They're campaigning, fighting for it. Being gay can get you killed in some countries or fired from your job, in certain countries you may not adopt babies if you are in a same sex relationship or marriage and you are seen as disgusting.

That my friend, is why we need Pride, everyone is equal, we are all of equal quality, but some girls like girls and some guys like guys, it's saddening to see how people are comparing gay pride to the freedom of their ability to clean their car, until the 1990's, being gay was seen as a mental illness, for this day Sheffield has it's own day with the rest of the country, known as IDAHO.

Pride is the one day in the year all the people who may be gay,straight,pansexual,transexual,bisexual,lesbian or whatever your orientation may take to the street and campaign for equality..

[/b]

This one will be gone by teatime, betcha!

You're wrong

Could you always have voted if you were a woman? No? events like this were made, they could vote after all the campaigning.

They're campaigning, fighting for it. Being gay can get you killed in some countries or fired from your job, in certain countries you may not adopt babies if you are in a same sex relationship or marriage and you are seen as disgusting.

That my friend, is why we need Pride, everyone is equal, we are all of equal quality, but some girls like girls and some guys like guys, it's saddening to see how people are comparing gay pride to the freedom of their ability to clean their car, until the 1990's, being gay was seen as a mental illness, for this day Sheffield has it's own day with the rest of the country, known as IDAHO.

Pride is the one day in the year all the people who may be gay,straight,pansexual,transexual,bisexual,lesbian or whatever your orientation may take to the street and campaign for equality..

Very well said

Probably because they are the norm. Men kissing other men isn't.

Of course it's the norm, you are just conditioned by homophobes to believe it isn't.

Of course it's the norm, you are just conditioned by homophobes to believe it isn't.

Nope, it's not the norm. if it was the majority would be doing it.

Nope, it's not the norm. if it was the majority would be doing it.

Just because it's not done by a majority, doesn't mean it's any less natural or normal than something done by the majority.

The difficulty I have with this is that black people, women etc campaigned, fought for and got equal rights without having it represented by a God almighty p**s up.

How exactly does selling tickets for pride get the message accross to those who aren't interested? Because all that will do is alienate even more those who gare against gay people.

If the event organisers for pride were really interested in pride it would be a street march where gay people and their friends/supporters could walk through the streets and celebrate their sexuality openly and freely.

Selling tickets and having a closed event doesn't do this, it makes gay people, as has been noted appear like they are on a pedestal saying look at me im different.

Pride should be a free event, it should be a proper open and honest event with information to educate the public and an opportunity for those with something against gay people to meet with them and show they are as normal as everyone else.

How the hell is making it a closed ticket event going to educate people.

Pride is a wonderful idea, unfortunately the organisers (and many of the antendants) seem to view it as more of an opportunity for a party than to educate the uneducated.

I think the level of ignorance shown on here just goes to show why Pride is still relevant in this day and age.

Yes this.

fjdkldfkl

The difficulty I have with this is that black people, women etc campaigned, fought for and got equal rights without having it represented by a God almighty p**s up.

How exactly does selling tickets for pride get the message accross to those who aren't interested? Because all that will do is alienate even more those who gare against gay people.

If the event organisers for pride were really interested in pride it would be a street march where gay people and their friends/supporters could walk through the streets and celebrate their sexuality openly and freely.

Selling tickets and having a closed event doesn't do this, it makes gay people, as has been noted appear like they are on a pedestal saying look at me im different.

Pride should be a free event, it should be a proper open and honest event with information to educate the public and an opportunity for those with something against gay people to meet with them and show they are as normal as everyone else.

How the hell is making it a closed ticket event going to educate people.

Pride is a wonderful idea, unfortunately the organisers (and many of the antendants) seem to view it as more of an opportunity for a party than to educate the uneducated.

Have you ever been to Pride? If you had, you'd know it's more than just a party. Yes, there is the party/festival element to it, but if you wander around to each of the stalls and/or talk to people, you'd discover the education/campaign/education side to things.

Sheffield Pride used to be free until this year. Like all other events, they have suffered with funding this year, hence the fee to get in.

Edited by Agent Orange

Just because it's not done by a majority, doesn't mean it's any less natural or normal than something done by the majority.

Ah, i never mentioned unnatural.

let me put it like this, lots of people play in punk bands (for example) but it's not the norm, wouldn't you agree.

Ah, i never mentioned unnatural.

let me put it like this, lots of people play in punk bands (for example) but it's not the norm, wouldn't you agree.

Hardly the same thing.

I suggest you go to next year's Pride, you never know, you might have some fun. In fact, I will buy you a ticket :)

I think the level of ignorance shown on here just goes to show why Pride is still relevant in this day and age.

For the same reasons a hetro march is also needed, many straights face social exclusion and the alarming increase in heterophobic attacks is becoming an epidemic in cities such as Brighton.