Sheffield Gang Wars

My great uncle on my mothers side was Gil Marsh who was sent to prison for one month for assaulting John Wheywell on christmas day 1924 I think. He was one of nine brothers and sisters of which my mothers garandma was one (his sister). They lived in a back to back house in Hoyle Street, West Bar. He was a member of the Park Brigade (not the Garvin gang as some have stated) and he was also one of the five who stormed George Mooney's home.

My grandad (on my dads side) also went drinking with the mooney gang in Darnall though he never got involved- lucky for him!

I'm currently reading JP Bean's book on the Gang Wars. Fascinating stuff!

I remember the Rendezvous well (see my log in name and you'll know why).

Boris was as bent as a nine bob note. He once got arrested for claiming to be a policeman. His defence was ' I did not say I was a policeman, I said I was a polishman' He once drove over a roundabout at the bottom of Granville Rd and just about demolished a pub on the other side.

does anybody no anything about the gang wars in sheffield not what the book says,the true facts

The book is a very well researched piece of work.

the people that were there not writers veiw istill no of 1 family that are still living but just wanted the true facts

Domt know if its alreay been posted, but the policeman Shillito I think he was called wrote a book, I think it was called Cloak Without Dagger. Was about the Sheffield and Glasgow gang wars. I've also got a paperback somewhere kicking about, i'll have a look for it. :)

Where we Lived in Sheffield,Upper Hanover St,one of Sir Percy Sillitoes"Hard Men"PC Walter Loxley,then retired,lived just a few doors away from our house,and even though he was getting on in years he was a big burly man,and when he walked down the street it all went quiet!,and I went to school with his youngest Son Kenneth,and he had an older Son Walter.

Just another sideline to the tossing rings,when I was young"Piking"was a term for keeping a look out or spying on what was going on,derived from the "Pikers"who were the look-outs around the tossing area watching for the police.

If you need any info on the mooneys, my great grand father was geoge mooney and my grandad that is still alive is jimmy mooney he knows very thing that went on.

Originally posted by Lickszz

Does anyone have any information about the Sheffield Gang Wars of the 1920's?

I know there is some books that can be bought but was wanted some basic information.