Sheffield Gang Wars

Some of the "hnger-on" Mooney sorts used to attempt to get free beer and to cause trouble in my great-grandad's pub.

Hello Leo,

Get in touch with a private message please.

P.C. Plod

Hi guys!

Recently found out that my great grand father, Thomas Jackson, was a member of the Mooney gang back in the 1020's. I don't know any information about the extent of his involvement and was wondering if anyone had any information they might be able to share in order to shed a bit more light on his history.

Also, I remember when I was very young that he had lots of tattoos, particularly a swallow with an envelope, my dad tells me it was a gang tattoo but whether this is just a family rumour or fact I am unsure. I'd really like to know if the Mooney Gang did in fact have a gang tattoo, and if so, what it was.

If anyone has any information about the tattoo(s) and could share with me the details, I'd be really grateful! (Im working on a memorial tattoo for my grandparents and relatives who have passed away and would love to include this bit of family history)

Thanks!

-Greg

One of my relatives was one of the four policemen in the original flying squad.

GregThorpe

Had a look at the Sheffield Gang Wars book and it refers to a "Snaps" Jackson! Could this be your GGF?

Only other Jackson was Arthur Jackson of Alfred Road and it looks like he was with the Park Brigade (the Mooney's rivals).

Most of the core members of the Mooney Gang were from around the West Bar / Shalesmoor area. Where did Thomas Jackson live?

Re Tattoo. Our relatives died decades ago and so no info on this subject.

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 11:20 ----------

bullerboY

Do you have a name for your flying squad relative?

I have a small piece of info on one of those policemen. I hope it is the right one :)

GregThorpe

Had a look at the Sheffield Gang Wars book and it refers to a "Snaps" Jackson! Could this be your GGF?

Only other Jackson was Arthur Jackson of Alfred Road and it looks like he was with the Park Brigade (the Mooney's rivals).

Most of the core members of the Mooney Gang were from around the West Bar / Shalesmoor area. Where did Thomas Jackson live?

Re Tattoo. Our relatives died decades ago and so no info on this subject.

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 11:20 ----------

bullerboY

Do you have a name for your flying squad relative?

I have a small piece of info on one of those policemen. I hope it is the right one :)

Herbert Lunn.

bullerboY

Herbert Lunn was the one I was hoping for.

Had a look at the SGW book and see that Herbert (Jerry) Lunn was in the first world war. He was awarded the Military Medal for clearing wounded from the battlefield under heavy shelling during the Battle of Bullecourt in 1917.

Our Great Uncle Joseph Canett(i) was killed at the Battle of Bullecourt in 1917. He was clearing wounded from the battlefield at the time. Shows what your relative was up against. Different regiment but same battle.

Small world eh? :roll:

Our GGF Harry Rippon (see my earlier post) was married to Joseph's sister.

Is jp bean, really Mr broadbent? I'm trying to find a school friend from silverdale serina broadbent and I think her brother wrote some books on Sheffield under the name of bean. Serina married and became France living on pingle age, millhouses Sheffield . Can anyone help please? I know Serina also worked with WI at the hallamshire hospital

bullerboY

Herbert Lunn was the one I was hoping for.

Had a look at the SGW book and see that Herbert (Jerry) Lunn was in the first world war. He was awarded the Military Medal for clearing wounded from the battlefield under heavy shelling during the Battle of Bullecourt in 1917.

Our Great Uncle Joseph Canett(i) was killed at the Battle of Bullecourt in 1917. He was clearing wounded from the battlefield at the time. Shows what your relative was up against. Different regiment but same battle.

Small world eh? :roll:

Our GGF Harry Rippon (see my earlier post) was married to Joseph's sister.

My Grandad was gassed on the Somme but survived only to die in 1938 from skin cancer form Mustard gas poisoning,i still have his medal.He was called Joseph Lunn.

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 21:07 ----------

I used to work at Ellis, Son and Paramore on Corporation Street which before it became the company was a building (Punchbowl public house ?) allegedly frequented by one of the Sheffield gangs.

Bullet holes could be seen in some of the brick work on the corner of the building, whatever allegedly went off there I don't really know, but the building always had an eerie feeling to it no matter what time of day it was.

My latr friend Jim Storey had the garage on the corner of Spring street which was part of Ellis Parramores and was part of the mooneys place.

I've got a new interest in Sheffield history. Watching a few episodes of Peaky Blinders set in Birmingham, reminded me that Sheffield had its own gang history. My mother told me about the Mooney family and I heard later about Percy Sillitoe. I would certainly like to know about what went on in those times. Also I heard that the Quakers once practically ran the city and also that they were coining their own money. Some wild tales, also that Sheffield once had a night club which closed its doors at 10 PM. Some of it must be true and I would like to read about it if it's set down anywhere.

Brian....

If you want to know about the Mooney family and Percy Sillitoe, buy a copy of a book

called 'The Sheffield Gang Wars' by J.P.Bean. I have had my copy for a good few years

now and it is a very good read. Or, Sheffield Library should have a copy.