Sheffield Gang Wars

Re Manning

Did Gus and Elsie once live near The Bath pub off Glossop Rd?

If so I have a couple of photographs of them.

Maybe 'Grandson Manning' may like a copy.

re-leo butler

Take alook at the articles placed in this ehistory section under the subject of lost pubs you maybe interested about what is written about the Plommer murder.

Two items I was told about was the demands of gang members for free fish suppers and if they were not forthcoming they threw a shovel of hot coals into the chip pan so nobody got any.

Another man I worked with as a lad in the steelworks was beaten black and blue in his house entry only to find out later it was a case of mistaken identity.

More later

Hi, my great grandad, george arthour whywell or ganner (cos he's GANNER do this and he's GANNER do that!) was a member of both gangs!(not at same time) he was a very dangerous and had been shot and stapped more than a few times, he killed the man on princess street! i'm realy sorrry but i dont now much about him as my family dont know i know! (read book in school!!!!) i am working on getting info, as soon as i get some more u'll b the first 2 know.

Dolly xx

p.s i got book- god he was a ****!!!!

sorry!! [****] !

As weird as it sounds, to someone like me who is interested in Sheffield history its great to find people connected with the families who are synominous with the history of this fantastic city! such as Dolly and Fran.

In the 60's there was a revival of tossing rings where big stakes were played for.

One ring was held regularly in a disused cinema on the outskirts.

Many of the old un's used to turn up to get their own back on former winners from the old gang days.

Another spot they used was near the Beeley Wood forge in Beeley Woods.

I remember one of them going there on a bus to the Middlewood Tavern and across the bridge to the Tossing Ring only to drive back in somebody's car that he'd won.

He had to ask the loser for instructions on the way back through the wood.

Hi

I have left you a note under Charlie Manning.

I have not received any Emails and I must make sure that the photographs I have are Charlie Manning before I send them out.

Please see note on other board

I believe that a member of one of the sheffield gangs went to join the Al Capone mob in Chicago.

Maybe someone has more details?

Originally posted by Leo Butler

I'm a writer currently working on a play for the Crucible Theatre, based loosely on the Sheffield Gang Wars.

My play deals with the Fowler Brothers, who were part of Sam Garvin's Park Brigade mob, and sentenced to death for the murder of ex-serviceman William Francis Plommer on Princess Street. The murder took place on the night following Sheff Utd's victory over Cardiff in the 1925 FA Cup final.

Whether the Fowlers were guilty, or just scapegoats, is still debateable.

Does anyone have any - or knows of any stories about that time -not just the Gang Wars, but ordinary life in the slums back then?

My great grandfather was Lawrence Fowler and I was just interested to know if the play ever took place? Is there a chance of getting hold of a copy?

Originally posted by Lickszz

Does anyone have any information about the Sheffield Gang Wars of the 1920's?

I know there is some books that can be bought but was wanted some basic information.

The Garvin Gang was known to operate outside Sheffield especially at race tracks where they supplied 'protection'!! The Garvins were bitter enemies of the Italian Gang from Saffron Hill area of London run by Anglo Italian Darby Sabini. As for one of the Sheffielders joining Capone... perhaps. Certainly one of the Sabini's went to New York where a cousin was a captain in the Lucchese Family. Leeds born Owen Madden, better known as Owney Killer Madden and founder of the Cotton Club in NYC never lost his Yorkshire accent and in old age was often heard to greet people with 'Na then lad'. Old Man Mooney was often brought to the Rendezvous all nighter on London Road by his son circa 1960. Does anyone remember that? It was run by Boris Tworek a Pole. I was 'Andy with the London accent' in those days.