Sheffield Gang Wars

Hi Lolbiggs

You are my cousin, my mother is Patricia Malone. My grandmother was Elizabeth Malone and she died quite young so I never met her although I do remember my grandad Malcolm Malone who was quite a character.

My Aunt Ivy acquired Amos Stewart's family tree and I have a copy of it including a photocopy of his birth certificate. According to the tree it may be that we are not related to the Stewarts after all as greatgrama Hannah was a Sedgwick and it appears the Elizabeth (who also had a brother Wilfred) were also Sedgwicks. Hannah had quite a few more children after her marriage to Amos Stewart. It may be that Malcolm and Elizabeth were not actually married but nevertheless they had a large family.

if you want a copy of the family tree I will be happy to forward it to you.

hmmmm- it's a small world as lol biggs (senior) was my uncle (my dads elder brother!)

i used to live in the house (as a child) that was owned by amos stewart on campbell road, my parents were the caretakers of the coalyard there, it backed onto the recreational ground:)

john:)

i have just found out that i am related to the fowlers, but due to stubborn relations, concealing the history surrounding this branch of my family, i have hit a dead end, i have the book etc, so any other family willing to divulge the missing info, it would be muchly appreciated. cheers all & have a happy new year

hiya rose and biggsy hope you and all are keeping well,

rose it was me who gave all that stuff to ivy so i allready have it,i did trace back to christopher malone who came from ireland and married a girl from melton mowbray (10 miles from where i live) on our grandads side,and on our grans side hannah sedwick our great gran, mother of elizeabeth sedgwick/later to be elizabeth stuart,

i no your mum is finding a lot more out tho.

so we can get more back.

say lo to anty pat for me

thanx lol

Edited by lolbiggs

hiya biggsy,

is your dad mick trevor or barry,me and you must of met when we was kids,

thanx lol

I remeber my gran (long since gone) telling me stories about the Sheffield Gangs. She said my granddad who I never met knocked about with the Mooney Gang, his name was Harry Stanton and she said he was a part time musician who played at the local clubs in Tinsley and Attercliffe. My nan said that she found out he had a second family called King, this family apparently lived in the Darnall area of Sheffield, my nan lived in Tinsley.

Nan also said that one of the Gangs was also known as the Cellar Grate Gang as people in the area where they hung out were obliged to unfasten the cellar grates so that when the police were chasing gang members they could just pop down one of them.

Apparently when Shillito came down from Scotland most of the gang members who were not arrested jumped onboard ships and took off for America. My granddad was not seen again from this time and was eventually 'presumed dead' so that my nan could remarry.

I always found this facinating and romantic as a child as there is a film star in America by the name of Harry Dean Stanton and I often wondered if he could be a son of my granddad, as my dad had been called Harry Stanton after my granddad, however whenever I discuss this with my mother who is almost 95 she says it is all nonsense. She acknowledges my granddad was apparently not a very nice person, and he was also brutal to my nan, however she feels the rest of the story is something I made up a a childhood dream.

My uncle said the Mooney gang used to come out into the Peak District to do some badgering in the 60s.

Apparently, my great grandmother was married to a mooney, I only know her maiden name was whomersley, I think they had a daughter doris or dorothey??? doris or dorothey whomersley went on to marry Jack Mather.....

any body know any more???

Born in Leeds, Raised in Wigan, Family in Sheffield, King of the West Side of New York, Owney Madden. My Great Great Uncle.

My father died aged 80 this year and the story of his mother came to light.............

She was born lilly Cresswell in Attercliffe daughter of John william Cresswell and Elizabeth Creswell formerly Bell, of Howden Road

In the 1920's she worked as a barmaid and became pregant and had a little girl Alice in 1923. It is said she instigated the father of Alice to murder someone for which he hung! The gang he belonged to took lilly with her baby and bought her a ticket for the first train out of Sheffield which was to skegness. she was told never to return to Sheffield with the baby ever again. For that reason when lilly sneaked back to her parents she only ever brought her son John william with her...

Has anyone ever heard anything similar to this story or know anything???

Does anyone have any information about the Sheffield Gang Wars of the 1920's?

I know there is some books that can be bought but was wanted some basic information.

i have load's ov info my family owned load's house's on cherry st. that's where one ov the gang's came from??

Hello, my Great Grandfather was George Mooney, my Grandmother was Francis, Georges daughter to his first maraige..., my father had very little to do with him, met him a couple of times as a child and attended his funeral. My dad has some family memorys and as a child was known by people who he didn't know, simply because they new he was a 'Mooney' even though he never carried the name as my Nan married, apparently he...looked like a Mooney and obviously these times weren't forgotton overnight, RIP Francis.

One of the storemen at the Signals TA unit on Barnsley Rd. (Crabtree ) was a policeman during the gang wars. He told me they would grab one of the gang and give him a good hiding. He was a big burly bloke.