Why I don't go fishing

Ever since I have been fishing in Pakistan, I wanted to take up the hobby here in England - fishing is one of the most relaxing things I have done and catching a fish felt like some great achievement (although to some it may seem boring).

But to my surprise, when I returned back to England I was told that I needed a license and I also learnt that I couldn't take my catch home as it was against the law.

That put me off from taking it up as a hobby :(. The end.

Thems the rules! If everyone takes the fish home then there's none left for anyone to fish for.

The licence fee really isn't very much if you're taking it up as a hobby. If catching a fish felt like a great achievment then why do you need to take it home? Surely you've just described the 'fun' element of it right there?

You could always go sea fishing if you're desperate to take them?

I have never knocked anyone for liking fishing, it's the biggest participant sport going over here as far as I know. I would have thought throwing them back, helped to keep river levels of stock up, not take them home just nip to Asda.

Fish removal by rod and line

New byelaws are in place to protect coarse fish, eel and shad fisheries.

On rivers

On any given day, you may only remove:

one pike of up to 65 cm;

two grayling of 30–38 cm;

up to a total of 15 small fish of up to 20 cm of the following native species: barbel; chub; common bream; common carp; crucian carp; dace; perch; pike; roach; rudd; silver bream; smelt; and tench.

Fish are measured from the tip of the snout to the fork of the tail.

If you remove any more fish than this, you are committing an offence and risk a substantial fine.

You can still take:

minor’ or ‘tiddler’ species, such as gudgeon;

non-native species;

ornamental varieties of native species – such as ghost or koi carp.

Please remember that you will still need the written permission of the owner or club to remove fish from privately owned waters.

On stillwaters

You may only remove fish with the written permission of the owner or club.

You will normally have a day ticket or permit, on which the fishery rules are often printed. These rules normally state the numbers and types of fish you can remove. If in doubt, ask the owner. If there is no obvious owner to ask for permission, you are not allowed to remove any fish.

If you take any fish without permission you are committing an offence and risk a substantial fine.

Personally myself i would never remove a fish from anywhere, but these are the rules im afraid

---------- Post added 05-07-2013 at 14:47 ----------

If there is no obvious owner to ask for permission, you are not allowed to remove any fish

Why not try fly fishing,most waters let you take a certain amount of trout that you catch,but like all us mere mortals you still need a licence to fish and th £26/£27 it costs is not for the twelve months it covers you for

Also the rules are skewed.

Lets say the thrown back fish is caught 30 times during its career.

The fisherman who caught it at its top weight - beer gut - lack of exercise getting on a bit and to all intents and purpose a fish in its lowest form doddering and pottering being generally buggered.

Wheres the skill in catching an obese fish which two years ago was much harder to catch - surely the bloke who caught it 2 years ago when it was leaner and fitter should get the bigger accolades.

Also the rules are skewed.

Lets say the thrown back fish is caught 30 times during its career.

The fisherman who caught it at its top weight - beer gut - lack of exercise getting on a bit and to all intents and purpose a fish in its lowest form doddering and pottering being generally buggered.

Wheres the skill in catching an obese fish which two years ago was much harder to catch - surely the bloke who caught it 2 years ago when it was leaner and fitter should get the bigger accolades.

You really need a change of bait to get a bite on this sub forum.

I regularly go fishing, and I take a small bbq kit and some lemons to cook them while I fish for more, it's relaxing and tasty.

:D:D:D very good. A good seasoning for fish is lemon pepper. Edited by sheff 13
spelling

Ever since I have been fishing in Pakistan, I wanted to take up the hobby here in England - fishing is one of the most relaxing things I have done and catching a fish felt like some great achievement (although to some it may seem boring).

But to my surprise, when I returned back to England I was told that I needed a license and I also learnt that I couldn't take my catch home as it was against the law.

That put me off from taking it up as a hobby :(. The end.

You can still enjoy a day's fishing. Just follow the rules my friend.

If you are peckish, why not take a bbq long? You could tuck into some succulent sausages, pristine pork chops and brilliant bacon whilst waiting for a bite, washed down with a nice cold can of Carling black label.

Mmmm pork chops, Bacon, luv it,...:hihi:

Edited by 0114leeroy19
mistake