Should a TV aerial be a standard feature of a council property?

But they will say watchin tv is a luxury not a need so that's how they would get out of it.

I had my TV aerial taken down years ago. They are ugly and being TV free I have no need for one. Not everyone has or desires a TV and I would be mightily annoyed if some of my council Tax money paid for someone else to have such a luxury.

When I had my council flat there was a socket for the ariel, I think there was one installed in each of the flats on the block. Perhaps the OP's mum lives in an older coucil property which weren't built with that specification

I knew some <removed> was going to respond with something like that.

You can't question owt Mecky says. Expect a ban pronto if you don't have one already.

Edited by medusa
language!

You can't question owt Mecky says. Expect a ban pronto if you don't have one already.

Really? That's news to me and I'm sure that Mecky will tell you that he's had enough posts removed, warnings and bans to suggest that your assertion is not valid.

If the united nations state that access to the internet is a human right then councils should ensure their tenants be able to receive broadcasted television signals.

If the united nations state that access to the internet is a human right then councils should ensure their tenants be able to receive broadcasted television signals.

Tenants are able to.

Buy her a new aerial.

I knew some <removed> was going to respond with something like that.

First of all Its not her that is wondering about this, its me, and secondly no I don't think that washing machines and cookers etc should be as standard, but given that council properties are fitted with the required plumbing and gas pipes ready for washers and cookers etc, why not an ariel ready for a TV?

Because the company stopped making Ariels in 1969?

is it me or are some people on here so up their own rings about people in social housing that it clouds their perspective?

is it me or are some people on here so up their own rings about people in social housing that it clouds their perspective?

When people gain a £100 monthly advantage over privately renting, is there any wonder that this issue devides people?

'Clouds the perspective'? - What do you mean by that?

Social housing is, AFAIK, supposed to provide shelter, warmth and protection from the elements.

Most peole have to pay for their own housing. Should those who are fortunate enough to receive subsidies from the rest of the population not be expected to put their hands in their pockets to pay for non-necessities?

If you're going to provide a TV aerial on every house, that won't be a lot of good if there is no TV.

Shouldn't you also provide a TV?

You can't wach TV without a licence (unless you are old or are blind (in which case you get reduction because you can't see it :hihi:)

Should you not pay for a licence too?

You can't watch TV without something to sit on.

Should the state not provide a free settee / free armchairs?

Most people (I hope) accept that there are people who need subsidised housing, but I doubt that there are many who accept that everybody in subsidised housing should get everything for nothing.

My mum lives in a council property and she says she needs a new ariel and has been pricing them up. I'm surprised they're not a standard feature on council properties.

You mean that analog TVs are still in use? :o I thought TV ariels went the way of the horse and cart