Looking for Philip Woodward

Hi, does anyone remember him from the 1960s we used to hang about in the cafe on Holme lane, the one owned by an Arab called Musson. we were palls for a long time but drifted apart when work and girls came along, his last address I new was in the prefabs at Stanwood Stannington, Hope someone can point me in the right direction

Hi, does anyone remember him from the 1960s we used to hang about in the cafe on Holme lane, the one owned by an Arab called Musson. we were palls for a long time but drifted apart when work and girls came along, his last address I new was in the prefabs at Stanwood Stannington, Hope someone can point me in the right direction

I went to school with Philip Woodward, Marlcliffe then Chaucer. It would be good to catch up if you locate Philip. Were you at school woth us?

Hi. No I went to Wisewood, I think I met Phil in the cafe on Middlewood road at first, he was with John Witham and Pete Sides, we palled about for 2 or 3 years and then lost touch, John possibly went to Chaucer (you might know him as-well)

Regards Brian

I went to school with a Phillip Woodward at myers grove THUG

Hi. No I went to Wisewood, I think I met Phil in the cafe on Middlewood road at first, he was with John Witham and Pete Sides, we palled about for 2 or 3 years and then lost touch, John possibly went to Chaucer (you might know him as-well)

Regards Brian

I know john, we once had a scrap outside Marlcliffe school...he won

I went to school with a Phillip Woodward at myers grove THUG

dont sound like the one I knew, this lad was very inoffensive, not a scrapper, tall lad with ginger hair, bit like pink panther

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 15:51 ----------

I know john, we once had a scrap outside Marlcliffe school...he won

That surprises me! I never saw him show any signs of that kind of behavior we I was with him, his brother was a bit short tempered though, but usually with John

Hi there.

I found this post looking for details of Marlciffe School, and up comes Phil. Small world and all that. I was Phil's g/f for a while, a long time ago now. I've got friends in Sheffield, and we drove down Marcliffe Rd, the other day, and it triggered the memory.

Phil moved out to Chesterfield and then London aged about 17/18. I stayed in Sheffield. He worked for Mecca at the Bowling Alley, then the Heartbeat club. I think Mecca moved him to London when they closed the Queens Rd bowl. After that he moved around the country as an engineer for AMF the bowling people, then out to Dubai.

We used to meet in the Squirrel Caff, I remember it had a pinball machine at the back next to the toilets. Can't remember the dates but Nancy Sinatra's 'These Boots are Made for Walkin' used to play on the juke box. So that would be 1966-ish.

He went to Marcliffe for a year or so from junior school, and then the entire school got moved to Chaucer. He was always angry at that.

Family had a prefab at Stannington, then they went to Chesterfield.

I vaguely remember the names John Whitham and Pete Sides, I think they all used to hang out together. The caff was opposite Hillsborough Park, didn't it become 'The Continental?' or vice-versa?

He had a great chum called Brian who was a butcher at Malin Bridge. Phil used to 'borrow' his mum's car and drive out to see him.

Anyway, the last letter I had from Phil was decades ago. He was working in Dubai on generators or something and had a house and a boat in Tunbridge Wells.

All the best.

Edited by Tina-w
mispellings

Hi, I am the Brian that you mentioned, I have tried to private message you but not sure if i have done it right, not been on the forum for some time, if you could get back in touch i would love to have a chat about those great 60s days in the Squirrel cafe.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian, et al.

The PM didn't take, so to speak. I was only at the Squirrel a couple of times, so I can't add much - my mother said it was a den of iniquity so of course that made it even better. I remember it as having a pleasant crowd. Great juke box.

Hillsborough Park had an 'old mans hut' shelter by the playground, we used to meet up there in the summer, handy for the Squirrel.

After Phil moved to London we kept in touch on the phone for a bit, Mecca moved a lot of their Sheffield staff to Streatham in London.

I was in Sheffield last month, and drove around looking at old haunts, but most of it seems to have been rebuilt several times since 1966, so I didn't recognise much of it. Even Myers Grove school seems to have disappeared.

The paddling pools at Rivelin Valley are still there, although Malin Bridge shops seemed to have changed hands a million times.

PW was, as someone in the thread mentioned, a pretty quiet proto-hippy. I can't imagine anyone mistaking him for a thug. :-)

He said he used to get into a lot of trouble at school, he was brainy and read all the text books at the start of term, then was bored stupid for the rest of it.

I was at Myers Grove school, I found the other thread on it. Fun times indeed.

Anyway, all the best. It's good to see this forum keeping the memories alive.

T.

Hi Brian, et al.

The PM didn't take, so to speak. I was only at the Squirrel a couple of times, so I can't add much - my mother said it was a den of iniquity so of course that made it even better. I remember it as having a pleasant crowd. Great juke box.

Hillsborough Park had an 'old mans hut' shelter by the playground, we used to meet up there in the summer, handy for the Squirrel.

After Phil moved to London we kept in touch on the phone for a bit, Mecca moved a lot of their Sheffield staff to Streatham in London.

I was in Sheffield last month, and drove around looking at old haunts, but most of it seems to have been rebuilt several times since 1966, so I didn't recognise much of it. Even Myers Grove school seems to have disappeared.

The paddling pools at Rivelin Valley are still there, although Malin Bridge shops seemed to have changed hands a million times.

PW was, as someone in the thread mentioned, a pretty quiet proto-hippy. I can't imagine anyone mistaking him for a thug. :-)

He said he used to get into a lot of trouble at school, he was brainy and read all the text books at the start of term, then was bored stupid for the rest of it.

I was at Myers Grove school, I found the other thread on it. Fun times indeed.

Anyway, all the best. It's good to see this forum keeping the memories alive.

T.

I remember Philip as a quiet but very clever friend.He had a very enquiring mind and seemed to know more than you would expect. We did get into trouble when we collected mercury from the sink traps in the lab, or when we removed an electric clock from behind shelves in the library to see how it worked. I also remember using an electric shock machine on a large group of boys in the playground, whoever let go first got the shock.

Although Philip got into trouble it was always because he wanted to know more than the curriculum was teaching him.

Guest makapaka
I remember Philip as a quiet but very clever friend.He had a very enquiring mind and seemed to know more than you would expect. We did get into trouble when we collected mercury from the sink traps in the lab, or when we removed an electric clock from behind shelves in the library to see how it worked. I also remember using an electric shock machine on a large group of boys in the playground, whoever let go first got the shock.

Although Philip got into trouble it was always because he wanted to know more than the curriculum was teaching him.

Did John Whitman have a sister called Margaret and play in a band?

Hi, No just a older brother called David, worked at Fletchers i think in the 1960s

---------- Post added 10-01-2018 at 10:09 ----------

The sir name is Whitham