New B&M and Hillsborough shopping

my point was that it could make more of itself if it didnt have to turn every shop in to a bargain bin. Its already got 20+ awful bargain shops. go to them instead.

A bit of quality wouldnt go amiss

surrounded by council estates? aslso surrounded by loxley, worrall, walkley don't forget

Couldn't agree more. It's not surrounded by council estates and there are plenty of professionals who live in Hillsborough who would shop there if there was anything decent!

my point was that it could make more of itself if it didnt have to turn every shop in to a bargain bin. Its already got 20+ awful bargain shops. go to them instead.

A bit of quality wouldnt go amiss

surrounded by council estates? aslso surrounded by loxley, worrall, walkley don't forget

do loxley & walkely not have council estates?? of course they do! i lived in this area all my life and i know exactly what the demand is... i also work in retail..! and i know what your saying, a bit of quality wouldnt go amiss i admit but the demand in this area is not for highstreet or upmarket shops! also, do you not think to yourself why the highstreet and upmarket shops are not bidding for the spaces?? as they could out quite easily outbid B&M, Home bargains, Jack fulton etcd, its because they knwo there is no demand in this area!!

And anyway, we'll soon see a new sainsburys opening soon on claywheels lane, where it is more convenient for the store to operate as there will be more parking spaces and more access than what is availlable on middlewood road..

---------- Post added 04-07-2013 at 14:31 ----------

Couldn't agree more. It's not surrounded by council estates and there are plenty of professionals who live in Hillsborough who would shop there if there was anything decent!

Of course its surrounded by council estates!! stannington, loxley, walkley, foxhill, parson cross, wisewood...... all of which have residents with low incomes who come into hillsborough to their shopping more than the 'Professionals' that live in this area...

so everyone who shops at B&M Home Bargains Poundland Lidl Aldi etc is "poor" then ?

No but it is mainly less well off people that shop there, that's who its primarily catering for.

No but it is mainly less well off people that shop there, that's who its primarily catering for.

exactly...............

Of course its surrounded by council estates!! stannington, loxley, walkley, foxhill, parson cross, wisewood...... all of which have residents with low incomes who come into hillsborough to their shopping more than the 'Professionals' that live in this area...

Stannington and Loxley are closest, (apart from Hillsborough obviously) and I think it would be wrong to characterise Stannington and Loxley as council estates; I imagine most people in those two areas are home owners or private renters.

So just to get this straight, people would have preferred the shop to have remained empty?

Stannington and Loxley are closest, (apart from Hillsborough obviously) and I think it would be wrong to characterise Stannington and Loxley as council estates; I imagine most people in those two areas are home owners or private renters.

Stannington has large council estates as well as privately owned properties, so does wisewood and parson cross, but that's not the issue, the majority of shoppers found in hillsborough (i work overlooking middlewood road and live in hillsborough) are the elderly, young mums, college students and folk out on their lunch. I would LOVE to see some better shops in the area but as i was saying, the demand is not there and therefore the larger retailers will not put up shop here, the turnover would not be enough to justify it. Most young or old professionals work in the city centre or close to meadowhall where the demand is higher. Retailers arent stupid! theres a reason that there isnt shops such as M&S, Sainsburys, waitrose in this area.

So just to get this straight, people would have preferred the shop to have remained empty?

No, I'd have preferred the Co-op not to have shut! Found it quite useful myself to pop in after work.

People with no money obviously!

I know you're after a bite but I can't help myself...

By living in Hillsborough I am poor. Right.

I was brought up in S11. I'm now 26 and had a mortgage for 3 years. I drive a £40k BMW brand new in November. My salary far exceeds the national average.

Woe is me and my poverty stricken Hillsborough crew!

Stannington not a council estate:confused:youve obviusly never gone round there its got a massive amount of people in council accomodation its got 2 large high rise towers for starters and, Loxley is unusual as what some consider Loxley is actually Wisewood which has Stock transfered to a Housing association years ago.

and private renters?home owners doesnt neccesarily mean a better class of people

I know you're after a bite but I can't help myself...

By living in Hillsborough I am poor. Right.

I was brought up in S11. I'm now 26 and had a mortgage for 3 years. I drive a £40k BMW brand new in November. My salary far exceeds the national average.

Woe is me and my poverty stricken Hillsborough crew!

There are plenty more like you living in Hillsborough as well . Maybe if we didn't have the tram gates more people would stop off in Hillsborough to do their shopping on their way home from work .

No, I'd have preferred the Co-op not to have shut! Found it quite useful myself to pop in after work.

Well that ship has sailed, and frankly ANY shop is better than an empty shop.