New B&M and Hillsborough shopping

I've been in today to have a look. It's huge!

It's also really good that it's open until 8pm during the week so if we need anything we can pop after work.

I've been in today to have a look. It's huge!

It's also really good that it's open until 8pm during the week so if we need anything we can pop after work.

A positive response! thank you... :)

---------- Post added 04-07-2013 at 15:12 ----------

Stannington not a council estate:confused:youve obviusly never gone round there its got a massive amount of people in council accomodation its got 2 large high rise towers for starters and, Loxley is unusual as what some consider Loxley is actually Wisewood which has Stock transfered to a Housing association years ago.

and private renters?home owners doesnt neccesarily mean a better class of people

They obviously haven't. I grew up in stannington on Liberty Hill which was then a council estate and still is! i'd say from stanwood upto oldfield road it is predominately council tenants.

And as for being a private tenant or a home owner i totally agree, i own my own home and have a decent income but i LOVE a bargain :-) no shame in that......

A positive response! thank you... :)

---------- Post added 04-07-2013 at 15:12 ----------

No problem. :) Personally, I don't see the point of paying £2 for things that are £1 in places like B&M Bargains, Home Bargains etc...!

No problem. :) Personally, I don't see the point of paying £2 for things that are £1 in places like B&M Bargains, Home Bargains etc...!

I bought a packet of cheese and onion walkers crisps (in date) for 10p on my lunch!!! why should i have to pay 0.60p from elsewhere!! how's that saying go?..... look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves :)

Stannington not a council estate:confused:youve obviusly never gone round there its got a massive amount of people in council accomodation its got 2 large high rise towers for starters and, Loxley is unusual as what some consider Loxley is actually Wisewood which has Stock transfered to a Housing association years ago.

and private renters?home owners doesnt neccesarily mean a better class of people

I live in Stannington, it is a huge area and the only "council estate" is the high rise flats and the liberty hill and Woodfarm maisonettes immediately around them; this is a small part of Stannington as a whole which mainly consists of home owners and private renters.

do loxley & walkely not have council estates?? of course they do! i lived in this area all my life and i know exactly what the demand is... i also work in retail..! and i know what your saying, a bit of quality wouldnt go amiss i admit but the demand in this area is not for highstreet or upmarket shops! also, do you not think to yourself why the highstreet and upmarket shops are not bidding for the spaces?? as they could out quite easily outbid B&M, Home bargains, Jack fulton etcd, its because they knwo there is no demand in this area!!

And anyway, we'll soon see a new sainsburys opening soon on claywheels lane, where it is more convenient for the store to operate as there will be more parking spaces and more access than what is availlable on middlewood road..

---------- Post added 04-07-2013 at 14:31 ----------

Of course its surrounded by council estates!! stannington, loxley, walkley, foxhill, parson cross, wisewood...... all of which have residents with low incomes who come into hillsborough to their shopping more than the 'Professionals' that live in this area...

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Claywheels Lane back on to the Foxhill estate? Clearly Sainsbury's see that there is a demand and need in this area otherwise why build a store there?

Also, the Council flats at the bottom of Ecclesall road haven't done anything to put off the likes of M&S, Starbucks, Bang & Olufsen and other numerous boutique shops or dampen the general cosmopolitan, café culture feel of that area.

Edited by Simon_G

I live in Stannington, it is a huge area and the only "council estate" is the high rise flats and the liberty hill and Woodfarm maisonettes immediately around them; this is a small part of Stannington as a whole which mainly consists of home owners and private renters.

why has this become about stannington?????

---------- Post added 04-07-2013 at 16:12 ----------

QUOTE=Chelle-82;9898943]do loxley & walkely not have council estates?? of course they do! i lived in this area all my life

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Claywheels Lane back on to the Foxhill estate? Clearly Sainsbury's see that there is a demand and need in this area otherwise why build a store there?

Also, the Council flats at the bottom of Ecclesall road haven't done anything to put off the likes of M&S, Starbucks, Bang & Olufsen and other numerous boutique shops or dampen the general cosmopolitan, café culture feel of that area.

probably something to do with adequate parking?? being in a more accessible area away from tram lines?

And don't compare ecclesall with this side of town!! a big difference!

I dont have a problem with B&M, just the people that usually inhabit it. The one at Heeley is better to avoid them :)

Are you also suggesting that if you lived on a Council estate that you have no desire for culture or the finer things in life?

Surely tram lines make accessing an area more readily available to those that don't have a car? There doesn't need to be a big difference between Ecclesall road and Hillsbrough - a bit of vision is required from those involved - look at the vision and development that's currently transforming the Moor...

why has this become about stannington?????

Hillsborough shops ought to be more(only slightly more) upmarket to cater for Stannington, Loxley, Worrall and Walkley instead of Parsons Cross, which has Firth Park and perhaps Buchanan shops and places like that.

Are you also suggesting that if you lived on a Council estate that you have no desire for culture or the finer things in life?

Surely tram lines make accessing an area more readily available to those that don't have a car? There doesn't need to be a big difference between Ecclesall road and Hillsbrough - a bit of vision is required from those involved - look at the vision and development that's currently transforming the Moor...

if that is aimed at me your wrong! i was brought up on a council estate with a good family and good values, i have nothing against council estates or the people that live on them otherwise i would have a problem with my own upbrining!! my point is where hillsborough is situated and the surrounding areas and who the majority of the shoppers are! The moor is in the city centre??? of course they'll put money into developing it.... Hillsborough is doing the best it can with its demand. its not a dig at hillsborough, its not a dig at the people who shop there! i am simply defending the B&M store as it is a good idea for the people who frequent this area..........

I know many people who frequent the area of Hillsborough. None of whom will be visiting B&M. I'm sure if you asked people in and around Hillsborough the general consensus would be that they'd prefer the convenience of being able to nip out for a pint of milk or bag of sugar at a local supermarket rather than yet another bargain basement shop selling 100 AA batteries for 99p.