Green un! Green un! Final Score.

Yesterday, I was listening to a radio programme about the Media and a guy was saying whilst

on the London Underground in a carriage of about 25 people only 3 had newspapers the rest

had mobile phones/tablets/ kindle type devices, whereas ten years ago most would have had

a newspaper.

The newspaper as we knew it is dying a slow lingering death.

Link: Huffingtonpost - death of newspapers

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/death-of-newspapers

i used to like the green un, but it went up in price, and content got less, I think people wait for Mondays star and read the report on that. times have changed and more people are now online

Years back used to be at the shop for 6ish to ensure got a copy, not bothered for yonks though now

Used to be a good read but got expensive when they wanted a quid for it,just like the star,that will be next to go,especially when you can now read all the news you want online.

You could see it written in the stars when it went up to a pound, big shame many happy memories from the Green Un...

You could see it written in the stars when it went up to a pound, big shame many happy memories from the Green Un...

Ah you mean many pictures :hihi::hihi:

Ah you mean many pictures :hihi::hihi:

Your not far wrong m8 haha it took me about till I was 14 to work out all there spelling mistakes :hihi:

(Not that I'm any better like lol) :)

"Just nippin' art forra Green Un,luv" must have been heard in hundreds of Sheffield houses on Saturday tea time,as the man of the house grabbed his coat and cap and shot out the door to the newsagents.The newsagents opposite the pub,that is!I don't think many people read it,it was just an excuse for a couple of early ones.

Green Un true story- I once heard a posh looking lady in the newsagent at Parkhead ask "Could I have a Green One,please"

When I were a lad (actually when I was at college) I worked in Sainsburys on a Saturday afternoon/evening. From about 4:30 we'd have a constant stream of blokes asking if the Green Un's had arrived yet. When they did arrive we used to get a small crowd of customers and staff around the counter looking at the results. This was before things like mobile internet so if you were out on a Saturday and wanted to know the results, you had to either listen to the radio, read the Green Un or look at a TV in Dixons' window.

Inevitable I suppose but sad to see the end of another fine Sheffield institution.

---------- Post added 03-07-2013 at 19:59 ----------

Yesterday, I was listening to a radio programme about the Media and a guy was saying whilst

on the London Underground in a carriage of about 25 people only 3 had newspapers the rest

had mobile phones/tablets/ kindle type devices, whereas ten years ago most would have had

a newspaper.

And this in a city where every tube station has at least one (usually two) free morning papers, and one evening paper. And a handful of various magazines which do contain articles, not just adverts.

I used to wait outside seymour n storey on Newfield Green, Morris had the paper shop at the time, he used to have the parrot on the front...

What would the late Tony Pritchett make of this ! Can anyone remember tell it to tony column ?