Green un! Green un! Final Score.

I remember as a kid standing outside the shop in Grenoside with plenty of other people waiting for the van to deliver the Green Un......Happy days!!!

Radio Shuff this morning did say that it was likely to become an online publication in the future.

Regards

Doom

I reckon Greno must have been his last drop, always seemed to be late!

Best thing about the Green Un was arriving at the newsagent and waiting for them to be delivered.

Not seeing the point in waiting outside, it made sense to call into the Rising Sun and have a quick un whilst keeping an eye on the newsagent's across the road.

Sad to say, it's had its day. Time to move on. We're all iPad and iPhone dependent now and any newspaper in paper form is, most probably, inhaling its last breath of life.

When i was a kid , always had to wait for it at paper/shop to be delivered, then as i got older it went hand in hand with a pint.;)

price shot up and stopped buying it! shame really , wonder if someone out there wud take advange and do a paper

It was quite annoying listening to Southerner Jeremy Clifford spouting as to why the Green Un was being put to bed for good. I can see the Star going the same way, despite what Editor Mr Clifford says the Star has lost a good deal of its readers because of changes instigated by the company that own the paper. Most of the Reporters haven't a clue about Sheffield and are totally unaware of the dross that's been written by them.

A little Green Un story that I have remembered.

One Saturday evening I was sat on the front row at Bradfield Road Working mans club along with her who must be ebayed

We were both done up to the nines me looking like Sinatra in my best Barny Goodman and her like Lis Taylor complete with bee hive hair do.

Anyway Wednesday had just won away at some where or other and I was avidly reading the full account of the great avent.

On the stage was the late great Tony White singing funnily enough a song called Green door.

I was taking no notice what so ever as I was lost in Wednesdays game report when!

The paper was grabbed from my hand folded up and the used as as a truncheon on my head by the great turn him self Tony White [still singing].

To great applause and cheering Tony walked that walk up the steps and back onto the stage finished his song gave me a look to kill and called me a cheeky bleeder.

Lesson learned to this day no matter how crap the turn is I give them my full attention and now tell others to shush! when they are on and leave the Green Un for the tap room.

One Saturday evening I was sat on the front row at Bradfield Road Working mans club along with her who must be ebayed

We were both done up to the nines me looking like Sinatra in my best Barny Goodman and her like Lis Taylor complete with bee hive hair do.

Anyway Wednesday had just won away at some where or other and I was avidly reading the full account of the great avent.

On the stage was the late great Tony White singing funnily enough a song called Green door.

I was taking no notice what so ever as I was lost in Wednesdays game report when!

The paper was grabbed from my hand folded up and the used as as a truncheon on my head by the great turn him self Tony White [still singing].

To great applause and cheering Tony walked that walk up the steps and back onto the stage finished his song gave me a look to kill and called me a cheeky bleeder.

Lesson learned to this day no matter how crap the turn is I give them my full attention and now tell others to shush! when they are on and leave the Green Un for the tap room.

Ha, ha. Great story that cuttsie. He were a good 'un were Tony White. Loved the 'her who must be ebayed' too. Not heard that one before.

Great story Cuttsie!

Saturday night will never feel quite the same without the Green'Un.

Always used to love getting back into town after an away game and the thrill of re-living the match again by reading the Green 'Un' report by Ian Vickers or Paul Thompson, especially of course, if The Owls had won!

Used to love the old letters page too, had a few printed over the years but never won a Stones 4 pack!

Much like Woolworths, it's easy to be nostalgic about it but then you realise you haven't bought one for at least 5 years and are actually responsible for it's demise..

Much like Woolworths, it's easy to be nostalgic about it but then you realise you haven't bought one for at least 5 years and are actually responsible for it's demise..

But it's hardly been worth reading these last five years.

It's a shame because the local amateur sports coverage wasn't bad, however it has always relied on the football supporting public for it's existence and the comparative decline of the two local clubs combined with competition from the internet has finally done for it.

Priced themselves out of the market and reduced to nothing. Considering most of it is supplied by the public and little by them it is disgusting. The Grass roots on s friday is poor.

Radio Sheffield wanted input but didn't want anyone to comment on the air just Paul walker talking about national sport and he put nothing in to the discussion about local or junior football that obviously he does not contribute too because he is not getting paid.

Edited by trans