What Do Employers Look For?

Well, what are employers looking for nowadays in this economic climate?

Would be good to know the areas of interest and expertise including buzz words and statements that actually work.

For a variety of different jobs and industries.

It is surely essential that us job seekers are given a heads up on things to include in applications.

Depends on the job really but reliability and honesty rarely go out of fashion.

Edit; didn't read it properly you want buzz words. Passion. Be passionate about customer service, cleaning tiolets, pioleting a space shuttle, anything really. They'll love that.

Edited by tinfoilhat

They will often list what is needed and what they're looking for in the job adverts.

Most importantly is your cover letter or email needs to show quickly, you want this job.

We advertise plenty of jobs, non at the moment though.

We usually get around 100 applications a week & most applications are a waste of time.

A large portion of applications these days are clearly people who don't want the job & are just applying because they've been forced to by the job centre.

Most are rejected straight away for non living in uk, living in London & not knowing where Sheffield is (I think they think S postcode is South London), telling me to ring them without sending CV & not having a complete CV.

If all these people didn't waste time we could reply to every genuine candidate.

Things I look for when advertising a job:

1. A complete CV -

I get about 20 a week with just a name & address or have whole sections like employment history missing.

2. Honesty -

Any lies & the CV just goes in the bin. Unlike a lot of companies we check education & references.

3. Someone who has actually read the advert & wants this job -

For example I've advertised for a telephone appointment setter & the first line of the cover letter is "I've always wanted to go into child care". A clear sign this person hasn't read the ad & is just applying to all ads.

If you see a vacancy...phone them and get ahead of everyone else!

For a spec letter, is this good?

I write to you with interest to be considered for any customer facing roles you may have and am willing to work any hours, which includes holiday cover and overtime.

Primarily, my goal is to work in this industry and your business is tailored to all my needs and I’m adamant that my skills and abilities will add value to your company.

While working in retail, my reliable traits have been central to running an efficient workplace and my social skills have let me collaborate well with others at all levels.

A particular skill of mine is the ability to build rapport with customers, which entails being able to negotiate effectively so it benefits both business and consumers alike.

I have adapted to changes in many roles by being open to new challenges and this ability in particular has allowed me to bolster my development and learn new skills.

Being flexible and eager to learn, I am available for interview at any time and will be happy to undergo any relevant training with a view to commence work immediately.

To accompany this letter, I have attached my CV and it will be a pleasure to visit with you in person to discuss any relevant opportunities, thank you for your valuable time.

Edited by BEDROCK

If you speak polish it seems to help.

I write to you with interest to be considered for any customer facing roles you may have and am willing to work any hours, which includes holiday cover and overtime.

Primarily, my goal is to work in this industry and your business is tailored to all my needs and I’m adamant that my skills and abilities will add value to your company.

While working in retail, my reliable traits have been central to running an efficient workplace and my social skills have let me collaborate well with others at all levels.

A particular skill of mine is the ability to build rapport with customers, which entails being able to negotiate effectively so it benefits both business and consumers alike.

I have adapted to changes in many roles by being open to new challenges and this ability in particular has allowed me to bolster my development and learn new skills.

Being flexible and eager to learn, I am available for interview at any time and will be happy to undergo any relevant training with a view to commence work immediately.

To accompany this letter, I have attached my CV and it will be a pleasure to visit with you in person to discuss any relevant opportunities, thank you for your valuable time.

it's like Groundhog Day.................. :help:

Make sure you know what the job involves then tweak your attributes (lie) to suit, appear confident and dont be too formal.

A bit of bull**** works everytime, dont sell yourself too much though or that can have the opposite effect.

To be honest I doubt I would get to the end of it-but then I am not an employer. Personally I would not split it into so many paragraphs and increase the content:bull ratio!

.....I mean that in a constructive manner!

Also I would not post it on an internet forum:hihi: