Windows 8 How do I shut the computer down?

And they tell me Linux is difficult to use...

On the other hand, with people apparently struggling to comprehend the minor changes between Windows 7 and 8, how would they cope with a completely different OS.

Windows 8 - 10 ways to shutdown Or add shutdown to the Winkey+X Free Win+X editor

All you need to do is 'logout' then click on your username that appears almost top-right and choose 'shut-down' - now where have I seen that before? Oh Yes, Gnome3 DE (Desktop Environment - in Gnome 2 shut-down button was on top right so there is consistency in Gnome (of sorts):hihi:

A thread about how to turn off a Windows 8 computer, with a link to several tutorials on how to do so. Well done Microsoft. It's a usability success clearly. :loopy:

And they tell me Linux is difficult to use...

No it is not (GNU/Linux)! Give Zorin a try!:D

On the other hand, with people apparently struggling to comprehend the minor changes between Windows 7 and 8, how would they cope with a completely different OS.

Easy, Try Zorin, PearOS or Ultimate Edition - or according to a recent Linux Format poll, Sabayon is allegedly the most easiest to transfer to!:D

Personally I found switching to Linux with a KDE desktop a damn site easier than switching from Windows 7 or Windows 8.

The biggest complication for people is knowing the names of the applications. If people are already using Firefox, OpenOffice, etc then it wouldn't really be any harder. Until they try to plug something in over USB without Linux support of course.

No it is not (GNU/Linux)! Give Zorin a try!:D

If I can use Linux then anyone can. :hihi: Only problem I have encountered in Zorin is scrolling in Chrome. Best way round this was just to use the keyboard.

Press the button by which you turn it on is the easiest way.

As mentioned,hover your cursor in the bottom right hand corner,click on the settings,you will then see the power icon,click it.....................simples.

I find it easiest to press ctrl-alt-delete and then click the power symbol in the bottom right...hope that helps.

If I can use Linux then anyone can. :hihi: Only problem I have encountered in Zorin is scrolling in Chrome. Best way round this was just to use the keyboard.

I think a guy posted a solution to that issue:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5200&p=24927&hilit=scrolling+in+Google+Chrome+issue#p24921

No, that is not the problem I am experiencing. Thanks for taking the time to be helpful. :)

Best way around it is not to use Linux.

i still don't like you.

:P

Best way around it is not to use Linux.

I have solved the scroll issue in Chrome by using the keyboard. :hihi:

i still don't like you. :P

It's just a paranoid delusion you are having :P

A bit late on this thread but my daughter has asked me to set up her new windows 8 laptop.

I started it up and wanted to connect to the internet only to be told there was no connection,I knew that, but couldn't find the router set up, nor could I get off the page.

Where's the back button?

I got p'd off and went to shut it down.

It took me (and I'm not totally stupid) 5 minutes clicking every key in sight until I found how to do it.

How could anyone think to find that bar on the right by clicking on an empty space near the corner?

And as for the turn off button appearing when you click the user name icon, how on earth are you supposed to know that.Especially there is START on the left WHERE TURN OFF USED TO BE.(Stupid as that was, but at least we got used to it)

What a totally s..t interface.:rant:

My iMac's Snow Leopard was easier to suss out when I changed from XP

Rant over.