MOT failure - getting a 2nd opinion from a different garage.

It's not a hard test to pass tho, overall the condition of a vehicle can be pretty ropey and still pass.

I haven't taken it to the garage yet. But in the past it has failed on minor points, typically costing up to £100-£200. I've been going to the garage for a long time, they also do repairs. It's nearby and so convenient. But over the years doubts have creeped in, whether they are finding deliberate faults, particularly when you hear things been said by other motorists.

I may be wrong, particularly as I don't have a great deal of motoring knowledge. I can only quash those doubts by double checking. But wouldn't want to offend or affect the good relationship I have with the garage which I've used for years.

So I thought I'd just get it checked by another garage should it fail this time. But would be reluctant if it would become apparent to the garage I regularly visit.

There's alot of the test that is down to tester discretion, and that can depend on the person and what mood they're in as well.

For example exhaust noise is a common one for test centres to be strict or lenient on.

As far as I am aware the only criteria for an MoT fail on the exhaust system is corrosion and its is secure. The amount of noise the exhaust system makes is down to the people who manufacture the part originally, surely?

I may be slightly cynical about auto garages, but when I used to take mine in, I would explicitly state that if it were to fail, it would be fixed at home and then brought in for a retest. I always had a family member carry out my repairs, and so the garage was only responsible for the testing itself and issuing of the certificate. This way, if they were of the type to feel inclined to "create" failures to get more work (and hence more money!) they wouldn't bother with mine, and the failures would be genuine.

I'm sure the vast majority of garages these days don't create failures and try to rob you, but back when I was a single 20 something taking a car in on my own, I'm pretty sure they would have tried it on because they (wrongly in this case) assume women know bugger all about cars!!

As far as I am aware the only criteria for an MoT fail on the exhaust system is corrosion and its is secure. The amount of noise the exhaust system makes is down to the people who manufacture the part originally, surely?

An exhaust has to be secure,without leaks and produce the same noise level as the manufacturers exhaust.

Its not down to the manufacturer its down to the owner to make sure their cars comply with law and regs.

you can buy a number plate alot smaller than regs suggest it should be,but it doesnt make it legal does it?

Yep and it's that noise level that is down to the testers descretion.

Quite a few don't mind whats fitted as long as it passes the emissions test and isn't stupid loud.

I spoke to one who said there's little point failing it on noise unless it's stupid, because they'll only swap it for a quiet one just for the test and then you'll see it the next day with the original exhaust on.

I haven't taken it to the garage yet. But in the past it has failed on minor points, typically costing up to £100-£200. I've been going to the garage for a long time, they also do repairs. It's nearby and so convenient. But over the years doubts have creeped in, whether they are finding deliberate faults, particularly when you hear things been said by other motorists.

I may be wrong, particularly as I don't have a great deal of motoring knowledge. I can only quash those doubts by double checking. But wouldn't want to offend or affect the good relationship I have with the garage which I've used for years.

So I thought I'd just get it checked by another garage should it fail this time. But would be reluctant if it would become apparent to the garage I regularly visit.

Do you have any friends who are mechanics or know their ways around cars? The things checked on an MOT are freely available from the web.

Your vehicle should be retested at the same test centre which did the original test.

Think this is just advise. Basically because the garage/MOT centre by law has to retest for free if the necessary work is carried out there. In other words it can't fail second time if repaired at the same garage that issues the original failure. There nothing to stop you going elsewhere but you'd have to pay for a full MOT again with the possibility of failing again.

Do you have any friends who are mechanics or know their ways around cars? The things checked on an MOT are freely available from the web.

Don't need any mechanical knowledge to test some of them tho, simple things like bulbs and the horn are dead easy to check.

Number of times I've kicked myself for failing on a bulb being out when I was more worried about tyres or something else and forgot to check.