MOT failure - getting a 2nd opinion from a different garage.

If a car fails it's MOT, and you want a second opinion..perhaps you're not convinced... Is it possible to have a second MOT at a different garage without the first garage finding out??

. I understand the MOT test is logged onto a system which keeps a record on a national database.

Why would you be bothered if the first garage found out? If it were me id just ask on here for a good MOT place, take it to them and if it passes or it shows theres been something odd going on at the first place then contact VOSA :)

i dont think the first garage would find out,but not sure what happens now with new database

I don't think you are allowed to " shop around " which is probably what it would look like on the VOSA database.

You can appeal against an MOT failure I believe ( I don't know any of this as fact, I just remember reading it in an MOT waiting area ).

i suppose if the first garage failed the car and you took it elsewere,i am sure it would show up on there computer when they put your car details in,showing a failure.

---------- Post added 01-07-2013 at 11:02 ----------

whats it failed on,anything major

what did it fail on?

If your original MOT is still valid (as in you've renewed before its expiry date) then there's nothing to stop you driving it away and going else where. There's nothing legally to stop you getting a second MOT elsewhere if its failed. Even if it's on a database what's to say you haven't taken it away, had the necessary work done then had it re-MOT'd.

Infact even if your MOT has expired you are still legally allowed to drive the car if the purpose for driving it is to take it to a garage for repair work or an MOT.

Edited by steroc

yep you can retest your car everyday if you choose to.

Again, not saying this is the law, maybe just guidelines, but this is what VOSA advise......

If your vehicle fails the test

You’ll get a ‘notification of failure’ from the test centre if your vehicle fails the test. The failure will be recorded in the secure central MOT database.

Until it passes a retest, you can only drive your vehicle:

to a pre-arranged appointment at a garage to have the repairs done

to a pre-arranged MOT test appointment

Your vehicle should be retested at the same test centre which did the original test.

Appealing against a failed test

If your vehicle fails its MOT, you need to discuss your test results with the test centre before anyone starts repairs.

You can appeal a failed test result by filling in an appeal form ‘VT17’.

You can also get the form from any MOT test centre or by calling:

Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA)

0300 123 9000

Your appeal must be received within 14 working days of the test.

VOSA will then offer you an appointment within 5 days to recheck your vehicle and you’ll need to pay the full test fee again.

Some or all of the test fee will be refunded to you if your appeal is successful.

Take the car to a garage and ask them to take a look at the failed items and get an independent report? Usually if an MoT garage fails a vehicle it is for a good reason and the issues should be investigated.

There's alot of the test that is down to tester discretion, and that can depend on the person and what mood they're in as well.

For example exhaust noise is a common one for test centres to be strict or lenient on.

There is the odd anomaly that can catch some out, esp with older cars. If you get a grumpy tester they might not follow procedure correctly because it involves looking in the book to figure out what to do.

MOT testing should be a nationalised industry; if the administration of the licencing of motor vehicles was/is (?) a public body then I don't see why the mechanical side shouldn't be. Being at the mercy of these rob-dog garages, who collectively have us all over a barrel, has got to stop.