Any Dungeons & Dragons players?

I'm a long term gamer, weaned on 1st edition AD&D. Desert of Desolation was my first ever excursion into the world of gaming back in the mid 80s. Been playing just about every week, sometimes twice a week for the past 25+ years. I couldn't give it up even if I tried. Not done any D&D for a while now, about a year, (leaving 2 campaigns unfinished). We've gotten in Deathwatch and Only War (WH40K rpgs) tried the newish Game of Thrones rpg and are about to start a Traveller campaign.

Not tried D&D 4E, I didn't fancy rebuying tons of books again, I've watched it played, and it looks Okish,

I'd certainly be open to playing of an evening, i tend to spend them alone most of the week

The new edition of D&D looks due to be released shortly, with a date of July 15th pretty much confirmed for a US release of the Starter Set. I expect there'll be various launch events, including ones at Patriot Games where I run things, if anyone on this thread is interested. I'll come back when there's something concrete to announce!

First time I played D&D, think we had the basic set with the Borderlands (B2?) module, must be 30 years back.

Anyhow, haven't played for decades, but just curious, how has technology affected the game? Is there any use of computers etc? Or cross over, between role-playing and computer games?

There've been computer game versions of D&D for a long time - I seem to remember that I first read a Dragonlance novel because it was bundled with a Dragonlance computer game. There are two MMOs directly based on D&D products - Dungeons and Dragons Online takes place in Eberron with recent Forgotten Realms expansions, and Neverwinter takes place in the Realms city of that name. Neverwinter is closely connected with current story developments in the Forgotten Realms, with special events which link to recent novels or published adventures.

But there's an increasing use of technology to support pen and paper roleplaying including the relatively simple use of form-fillable or interactive character sheets, unofficial and official character creation tools, and a crowded market for programs that create virtual tabletops so people in different places can play the same traditional game. These allow the GM to import images to act as maps and 'miniatures'/tokens, draw on gridded white-boards, hide parts of the map until the PCs can see them, track hit points, etc, as well as - in some cases - integrating voice and video chat so you could play B2 with friends who've moved away, or strangers you've met on a message board! The product that's getting a lot of use at the moment is at http://roll20.net

The other thing that technology has done is to bring the cost of publishing down, so a lot of games are available as PDFs or ebooks, or as print-on-demand, so it's easier than ever to get a game or supplement you've written into the hands of people who might like to play it (and might pay for it!)

I'm looking to set up a game running the 5th edition rules (the latest version). If anyone's interested in taking part in a regular, local game, then please let me know.

Woukd you be interested in running these new groups at the new gaming venue http://www.theportalsheffield.co.uk get in touch. Free trial avaliable for new groups

Edited by NUCAD
spelling

I'm looking to set up a game running the 5th edition rules (the latest version). If anyone's interested in taking part in a regular, local game, then please let me know.

Lots of old time players wont play anything past about 3.5. Purists like me wont play past 3....

Though to get back into the scene i guess 5 couldn't hurt!

Do u want to runjthese at the new gaming venue http://www.theportalsheffield.co.uk get in touch free trial availanle for new groups

What are you regular prices? Can't seem to find them on your site.

It depends on many factors like qty of people involved, length of time, number of events and their regularity.

We aim to be very competitive and to help get new groups going by keeping associated costs down.

We have several sizes of space available.

send details of your requirements to enquiries@theportalsheffield.co.uk

Hi

If people are interested in starting or rejoining a Dungeons and Dragons or any other type of tabletop war gaming group, we have just opened a new venue for EXACTLY this type of thing.

We don't run any groups at the moment (we have only been open 2 weeks) but if enough people are interested we can arrange it. Any people with ideas, if you already have a group but would like to expand or are just interested in getting to know or meeting like minded people then this is the place for you.

We are only open when meetings and events are taking place and are in Sheffield City Centre, 2 minutes from The Moor

Take a look at our website theportalsheffield.co.uk

WE ARE HERE waiting for people like you

The Portal

How do,

I'd be up for joining a new D&D group. Played mainly 4e in the past, sacrilege I know, but just got the 5e players handbook and looking for a local game. Hit me up if you want to game.

Cheers

Interested in getting out of my shell and bit and its been too long since I last played D&D, started with 3E then 3.5 then 4th. Just picked up the PHB and MM for 5th so would be interested in joining a group too.