Identity cards

That is the extreme case scenario.

How about the thin end of a wedge, possibly?:|

i think if you posed that as the reason for id cards, the uptake may be a bit higher than that for the threat of terrorism reason.

benefit cheats etc always appear to be mentioned alongside asylum seekers & immigrants, from my experience a lot of middle aged,middle class people would jump @ the chance to stop it ( and at the moment that's the part of the population thats growing)

I suspect you're right about this, Willman, sadly.

This is where I simply can't understand people - I really don't know how they can lives their lives with such small-mindedness. :(

StarSparkle

I seriously hope that this issue will prove to be New Labours 'poll tax' and be their downfall; this will used as nothing more than a cynical population control tool by the most control obsessed regime this country has ever known. Remember it was not adverse either to selling information from the 2001 Census to business interests, so why would it shy from using this biometric database similarly?

Somebody mentioned, (not sure it was this forum or another I've been reading this morning) about the failure to have a card will render people unable to work, open or operate bank accounts etc etc

Another excellent posting, Daverity.

That's the flip-side of everyone having to have an identity card - what happens to those who don'thave an id card when the ownership of said card becomes necessary to do such normal things as open a bank account, buy a mobile phone, goodness knows what else. With the excuse that it's just so 'convenient'. 'Convenient' for who, though?

Eventually, will it become that if you don't have an id card, you effectively cease to exist, as far as the outside world is concerned? Would you find it impossible to get a job, get access to your bank account, even find yourself barred from using the health service?

There have been a number of science fiction stories written about such scenarios. Mainly concentrating on a government deliberately erasing an individual's existence from the computer systems - but what if it happens accidentally? We all know just how reliable computer systems are, don't we? :rolleyes: It's scary how often computer systems get simple things like household bills wrong. And the fact that people will tend to believe what a computer screen is telling them, rather than what a human being is saying.

So much room for error and exploitation.

Governments and big business love the idea of identity cards, because it makes us easier to exploit and control. If it's good for big business and government..... then it's not going to be good for individuals.

StarSparkle

How about the thin end of a wedge, possibly?:|

Unfortunately I think we passed the thin end a while ago, and are now getting stuck into the middle bit.

I have in front of me, as I write this Post, a World War 2 Identity Card which has a historical value.

The Card is owned by an elderly friend, and I publish it with my friend's full consent.

The person to whom the Card refers passed away quite some years ago.

I have covered over the name, signature and address for privacy purposes.

I illustrate this to show how primitive the said cards were in those days.

This card can be likened to Bleriot's Bi-Plane, compared to a modern-day Eurofighter Jet.

I get collywobbles at the thought of having to have one of these, let alone the system our erstwhile Government has in store.

Many on this thread argue about the cost of the proposed new ID Card.

Cost is not the ISSUE.. money changing hands has no relevance in this debate. If the Government get their way, it could be your Freedom that is at stake, and that of your families in the future.

Parliament is not noted for repealing the vast reams of outdated Laws still on the Statute Book.

We have no Written Constitution, only the one plucked out of the air, in the way Norman St. John Stevas used to do, when it fits the "Constitutionalist's" idea of what "Our Constitution" means.

Ww2 I/D Card Outer

WW2 I/D Card Inner

Just think what they could be used for if the BNP (or worse) got in. Once this government brings them in they will be here forever, and in a democracy, anyone could conceivably take over power.

I'm wondering if it's true that they will be brought in to replace the driving licence too, as mooted in The Mirror? According to them, all licences would have to be replaced with one of these 'enhanced' ID cards - in much the same way the proposed new passports will be 'enhanced ID cards'. They'd cost about £80-£90, and all drivers would have to have them. Apparently it's hidden in an obscure clause of a new Motoring Bill that's going through the commons.

During the South African modern history, all "Whites" had what they termed a "Book of Life" - - which served as an ID - Drvng Lic' - Gun Lic' - and birth certificate, marriage certificate etc. present address et al.

The present Government here, and most of the other lefties demonstrated and even rioted against this system of government control!

It was after all, just a method of segregating and controlling their multi-national population.

Bring it on - - In this new Little Britain.

shoeshine : I can understand the reason for such ID cards in the army or during a war. It does help a lot in identifying people and bodies.

Though, in this day and age, why is an ID card necessary ? Do we seriously have such a big problem in controlling immigrants into the country ? Do we have such a big fraud problem on social security ?

My opinion is that, the ID card is not going to solve all society's ills. I don't think it will do much in terms of combating terrorisms. I believe that potential terrorists were under watchful eye by the MI6 anyway ? Some were also misled youths, and are 'British citizens'. What does that tell us ? A measley card isn't necessarily gonna add to the existing system we have on immigrants, or control on people coming in and out of the country as visitors.

If the government wants to stop potential terrorists from growing within the country, then maybe they should tighten the laws. Esp ones that allow home-made bombs to be made etc. (Am not quite clear whether such a law had been passed already.)

shoeshine : I can understand the reason for such ID cards in the army or during a war. It does help a lot in identifying people and bodies.

Though, in this day and age, why is an ID card necessary ? Do we seriously have such a big problem in controlling immigrants into the country ? Do we have such a big fraud problem on social security ?

My opinion is that, the ID card is not going to solve all society's ills. I don't think it will do much in terms of combating terrorisms. I believe that potential terrorists were under watchful eye by the MI6 anyway ? Some were also misled youths, and are 'British citizens'. What does that tell us ? A measley card isn't necessarily gonna add to the existing system we have on immigrants, or control on people coming in and out of the country as visitors.

If the government wants to stop potential terrorists from growing within the country, then maybe they should tighten the laws. Esp ones that allow home-made bombs to be made etc. (Am not quite clear whether such a law had been passed already.)

Most of the home-made bombs are being made in Parliament at the moment, and we are the recipients :)

So does anyone have any opinions or views on the governments plans for ID cards?

In principal I dont think it will be such a bad thing. I dont agree with the methods that government has gone about trying to introduce the ID card system. I do think it will help to increase national security and public safety. However I dont think anyone will like the associated costs to the individual to purchase the compulsary ID cards.

Will ID cards impact on our freedom?

I doubt it, yes it means we will have to remember to carry it around with us, but this is something that was common place during the second world war. So why should it be any different? I know that this country was under attack during WW2 but surely we're currently under attack by terrorists. I dont know, but maybe you could say that we are currently undergoing another world war, where its not bombers in the skys to worry about, but terrorist bombers ont he streets.

It would be good to hear other people's views on this subject.