Torquay overnight by coach.

Can anyone tell me the name of the coach firm who used to travel overnight from Sheffield to Torquay arriving in time for breakfast during the 1960s.

My friend and I did that once,went from pond street would it be S U T ?. Think that's what it was called.

Yes the coach company was " Sheffield United Tours " It left Pond street called for a leg stretch at derby ,stratford on avon, bath and possibly elsewhere arriving in Torquay about 7am.It roughly followed the A38 (before the M1 was open.

Can anyone tell me the name of the coach firm who used to travel overnight from Sheffield to Torquay arriving in time for breakfast during the 1960s.

Went in 1961 with Littlewoods Coaches

I think you will find it was the Littlewood bros CG littlewood from Burngreave and FN Littlewood from Brinsworth. Both companies ahd same livery plum/wine with silver grey they went from where the Nelson Mandela building is now. it was a regular Friday night from 8.00pm arriving at Torquay 8.00am saturday morning. The return trip was 9.00am saturday back to sheffield. The sheffield drivers finished at Bath and a local hire driver took the coach to Torquay and then back to Bath. At the time coach firms were strictly regulated and in fact SUT objected to Littlewoods getting the licence to run the service. I travelled several times this way to Devon and only saw SUT on tour not as a service run.

There used to be a company called Law Brothers which was based on Leppings Lane.

All Littlewoods coaches had names like Duchess of Weymouth all names from around that area

think jeff littlewood still runs a coach

Definitely C.G.Littlewoods of Burngreave Road whose offices where at 101/103 Spital Hill, Sheffield 4. SUT did a joint service with Littlewoods to Newquay and has been said, Littlewoods livery was Plum and Silver. They got taken over by Skills coaches of Nottingham in the 80's.

iam sure that Law Bros did this run in the 1950s / 60s

Yes, it was definitely Littlewoods. Did the overnight run in 1974. Can remember going past the Babysham factory at Shepton Mallett (I think) in the early hours. They had a big illuminated Bambi in front of their building.

Did that trip once,1974,never again.12 hours it took.Left Pond street 7pm Friday night and arrived Paignton 7am Saturday morning