Private Coach Companies of the 50's/60's

I'm trying to recall names of Private Coaching Companies in the 1950's/60's in Sheffield. I remember SUT in Pond Street, Law Bros at Hillsborough, Reg Drabble at Grimesthorpe, L&D Hadfield just off Infirmary Road and Excelsior from Dinnington. Does anyone remember these together details of the liveries and did anyone drive for any of these Companies? How many more can be remembered?

Some former Sheffield coach companies are mentioned in old threads such as this one and also this one. Here is a photo of a Law Brothers coach with a 1969-70 registration, and here are scans from Kelly's directories for 1954 and 1968..:)

booth and fisher from clowne

Many thanks Hillsbro - once again to the rescue of us nostalgia freaks - My father drove a Tilling Stevens coach at L&D Hadfield on occasions in the late fifties. He also occasionally drove for Reg Drabble.

Hi jgill506 - it's interesting that your father drove for Hadfields. Mr Hadfield was a friend of my father's - they shared an interest in old fairground organs. Weekend coach trips to fair organ events, steam rallies etc. were a regular 1960s feature of Hadfields' activities - whether or not they were profitable! The Hadfields had an old organ in their living-room at Mongomery Terrace Road - it looked a bit like this.

Edited by hillsbro

Booth & Fisher(Red & Cream), Jeffcock(Red & Cream)s,Kirkby's,George Gill(Black & White), J O Andrews(Green & White), Herbert Jackson(Red & White), SUT(Red & Silver), Hirst & Sweetings(Green & cream), Wallace Arnold(Cream & Brown), Bartons(Red), Law Brothers(Green & cream), Geo E Whitley(Cream, Navy Blue and a Lighter Blue).

Think Hadfields were green,

Edited by Asaw

Booth and Fisher were from Halway near Killamarsh. Grant and Mcallin beighton two tone green, Littlewood bros Cg and FN plum/wine with silver grey, Sharpe bros beighton cream and maroon, Burdetts Mosbro, Furness just to mention a few more

I'm trying to recall names of Private Coaching Companies in the 1950's/60's in Sheffield. I remember SUT in Pond Street, Law Bros at Hillsborough, Reg Drabble at Grimesthorpe, L&D Hadfield just off Infirmary Road and Excelsior from Dinnington. Does anyone remember these together details of the liveries and did anyone drive for any of these Companies? How many more can be remembered?

Sheffield United Tours , which I am surprised no one has mentioned , which was on Olive Grove Road , with SHEFFIELD emblazoned on both sides and on the front , made you stick your chest out , where ever you saw it in the country - from London to Scotland , Wales to where ever .

Furness of Thomson Hill,High Green (cream/maroon). John Oates Andrew, St Philips Road.Cecil G Littlewood, Burngreave Road. Brightside & Carbrook Coaches,Old Hall Road (Maroon).Bradway Coaches(JH Sims), Shalesmoor (blue/cream).EH Sims, Queens Road(metallic blue/silver). TE Briscoe, Wellcar Road (maroon/cream). Barkers, West Street, Eckington. Crosspool Coaches ,Tapton Bank. Crosslands, Whitehouse Lane. Dowker Ideal), Ivy House Farm, Sheffield. Eagle Coachways, Bradfield Road. JW Fantom ,Duke Street(red/cream). Greyjhound Luxury Coaches, Surbiton Street (metallic blue). Gladys HIBBERD, City Road, (primrose/blue). E Jeffcock,Balaclava Road(red/green). Otter & Priestley, Stannington Road. Park Garage(Earls), Swallownest, (deep cream/maroon). Talbot transport, Montfort Road. Revill Sons & Broadbent, Manchester Road, Deepcar. Thorpes, Thurgoland. Alfs Tours (Utting), Bramley Park Road. Hope this is of some help.

I remember this service very well and I seem to remember doing it in the early seventies though not sure which comapany it would have been with, being so young. After that we went to Torquay by overnight train i think it left about 10,30pm arriving about 6,30 in the morning and going along the coastline near dawlish at dawn. We didnt have seats reserved and i remember having to sit on our luggage in the corridor one year After that my dad inssited on paying the extra £1 to reserve seats. We had lovely holidays

for many years in Torquay My first holiday without my parents took place in 1978 and again me and a friend caught the overnight train this time to Newquay (with reserved seats!!) we then had to hang around till about 3pm waiting for our digs to let us in!! Happy times!!

Uttings Coaches, Alf was a relative of my wife and. i knew him well a big man with hands like shovels.he now rests in Aston churchyard with her father.