Races in Sheffield

Anyone else think that this great running city is falling behind our neighbours?

Huddersfield and Chesterfield have both got marathons set to go next year whilst Leeds has the likes of the Half, Tomlinson`s 10k and Abbey Dash that all draw big numbers.

Sheffield has the declining GYR and a HM without a base at the moment. After that it`s the likes of Percy Pud and 101010 which are pretty low profile really. Even the Race for Life is no longer in the City!

The answer could be a lack of commitment from the local running clubs and the local community in general.

Percy Pud has a higher profile than you might think. 1500 applications approx and hundreds not accepted.

The GYR is too expensive, I repeat too expensive !!!

The fact that Sheffield has 5 parkruns, 1more coming very soon and 1 should the locals get off their posh high horses be following a little later says no. Even the whole of the greater Manchester area has less than our one city.

The half has a potential MASSIVE venue for next year but need final ok on closing a road

The marathon is returning to the steel city at some point but a lot of red tape to sort. Avoiding the tram tracks is one problem

Percy pud is still very sought after

GYR is as stated too expensive but will still be very popular.

Rother valley has two 10ks there

graves park has numerous events thru the year

The stocksbridge 10k has already more runners than last year

There is the urban 5k soon in hillsborough.

Thats just the road races. There is several trail races and fell races nearly every week in Sheffield and just outside in the peak district.

Has there been any news regarding the new Sheffield Half Marathon route? Also any news on the 6th Sheffield park run (location)?

Has there been any news regarding the new Sheffield Half Marathon route? Also any news on the 6th Sheffield park run (location)?

Alleged to be starting at Hillboro; not sure about the massive venue hinted at.

Next parkrun is due to be Manor / Norfolk Park, I believe. They are time trials mind.

Forgot about Manchester. They now have a very successful marathon plus the Great 10k / street games which is an impressive event.

I`d really like to see more use of our city for running.

The half has a potential MASSIVE venue for next year but need final ok on closing a road

Hillsborough Arena is not a massive venue. The half marathon was a poor race anyway, next year it will just get worse.

Graves Park is used for so many charity runs it becomes a joke - why pay £15 to race in Graves Park when I can run the same route for free in my own time, or even do most of it on a free park run?

Sheffield is behind the times. Look at Manchester - street games with athletics track on a shopping street.

Sheffield has a great running community, but does not have the people needed to make big events a reality.

Agree with most of that. However, I thought that the HM this year was better than when I first did it. Better value and well organised. However, that great race base is now gone.

Also don`t forget the club circuit recent Dam Flask Relays 400 runners , Wednesday night Road Race League very vibrant . Most of the big races need a lot of support from the council and budgets continue to be cut

The Rother Valley 10k coming up a week on Sunday I think. Will possibly be doing Sherwood Pines 10k though (on same day).

As if to prove my point further, Wakefield have announced a new marathon!