Best curry you've ever tasted?

One of the "warm in the foil bag" ready meal jobs you can get from most Asian stores. With a boil in the bag rice.

It wasn't so much that the food was outstanding, but it has to rank about the best i've had, after a very long day up Stob Coire nan Lochan, Bidean Nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach and Beinn Fhada.

Warmed up on the camping stove, and eagerly eaten accompanied with a bottle of Jennings Cumberland (because Scotland has the best hills but Lakeland the best beer) while my throbbing feet steamed as my walking boots came off, it was one of the most welcome and heavenly meals of my life!

:thumbsup:

Sounds fantastically memorable!

Bengal kitchen near woodseats think it was the old dilshad. Never had a bad curry

It's not so much the food I remember, more the occasions. Being taken out as a child for chicken korma with a mix of rice and chips, or coming back from a day out watching rugby, several pints and chicken tikka with madras sauce, the samosas from a street stall in Delhi or the times we used to go in Middleton where they had drastically underpriced the Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

Unfortunately I've developed an intolerance to restaurant curries, but I can still knock up a belter myself.

homemade all the way!

---------- Post added 28-06-2013 at 11:44 ----------

also chilli is much nicer imho.

Monkfish achar from the speciality menu at Aargrah's. I would sell my children for it.

Failing that my fella makes a mean king prawn balti.

Unfortunately I've developed an intolerance to restaurant curries, but I can still knock up a belter myself.

What kind of intolerance, is it digestive issues? My OH can no longer eat restaurant curries either which is very disappointing for me, but is fine with homemade ones. I have a theory it's the ghee that gets him as I don't cook with it but most restaurants do.

Anyway, the best restaurant curry I've had in recent years was a place called Jaipur in Trastevere, Rome.

Best curries ever were made by my husband. I have recipes; I do exactly the same, as far as I can; but while the curries I do are very good they aren't as good as his.

Generally, recipes are a help but not the whole answer. And home-cooked curries are likely to be better than all but the best restaurant, because the ingredients are fresher and the spices ground specially. Not all Indians and Pakistanis are good cooks, any more than all English people or all French people. I'm sure a really good Indian cook in India would be better than anyone in England, because they have access to so many special ingredients we don't even know about. I read the other day about a spice called tirphal, found wild in western India, which doesn't even have an English name. What does it go into? How many dishes use it? How much difference does it make?

Butlers on Broad Lane is amazing! Would definitely recommend. They will also cook dishes by special request if it's not on the menu.

A tiger prawn and ginger dish eaten at a beach shack/ restaurant in Kovalam, Kerala - Mmmmm! The hugest most succulent and tasty prawns that I've ever eaten....

Had plenty of great curries there and at other places during my two week holiday - never thought that I'd enjoy 'curry dishes' for breakfast/ lunch and evening meal, but they were so fresh tasting.

It took me a long time before I tried curries in restaurants/ take- aways here after this trip, and although there has been the rare 'good curry' I'm afraid that I haven't found anything that comes near to that Tiger Prawn dish.

My wife does a pretty mean curry, Best place I've tasted is Curry Cabin in Hope, Worst was from a food stall in Chinatown Kuala lumpur. Was sick for days after.

Shimul at Meadowhead very good. But you couldn't beat Ratpit on Spital

Hill back in the day no knives and]forks just chipattis but best ever Himalayan off west street near swimming baths

but best ever Himalayan off west street near swimming baths

Himalaya did the finest Tarka Dahl ever - I think it was their staff curry. Sadly missed...