Golden Oriole spotted in Geer Lane Ridgeway

Hi I was interested to see that someone had recorded seeing this fine rare bird, on Geer Lane in Ford Ridgeway last weekend. I would be interested to know more about it, possibly from the person who actually saw it. I would also like to know about any other sightings anyone might have had of this wonderful elusive bird, in local areas.

I can't help you directly, put if you were to repeat this query in the 'Which birds visit your garden?' thread, you may stand a better chance of connecting with someone who knows about it.

One reported in Padley Gorge last weekend, lots of twitchers about!

Wow. When I started birdwatching back in 1979 my Usborne pocket guide had Golden Oriole as rare summer migrant worth 20 points (max was 25) and I remember looking at the picture and dreaming of seeing one in Britain. I never have, I had to go all the way to India to see one!

Hi clearboys, It was me that spotted this bird on geer lane last Sunday. I posted My sighting on sbsg. I also saw a golden oriole nine years ago, about a mile from my recent sighting. I've been contacted by the county recorder for Derbyshire-rare and scarce bids. I have to provide the details to have both sightings documented.

Hi clearboys, It was me that spotted this bird on geer lane last Sunday. I posted My sighting on sbsg. I also saw a golden oriole nine years ago, about a mile from my recent sighting. I've been contacted by the county recorder for Derbyshire-rare and scarce bids. I have to provide the details to have both sightings documented.

Is there something special about the place that draws them there?

Or are they more widespread than we think but just under recorded I wonder?

That's an incredible find. Tell the Derbyshire ornithological society!

---------- Post added 26-06-2013 at 21:34 ----------

It's an odd place to find one. They are found, very rarely, in or around thetford forest (I think my dad saw one there) but they are often high in tree canopies but near scrubland. It might be more likely not seen but actually there than under recorded. What it's doing here is anyone's guess!!!!

Edited by tinfoilhat

Wow, how fantastic that you saw one there. The strange thing is, someone once posted something on SF about a friend of theirs hearing one in the Moss Valley. So they must have been here before. I'm really jealous I would love to see one and seeing it at Ridgeway must have been amazing. Thanks for posting you sighting, it makes birdwatchers life easier to know about sightings as it can be frustrating not knowing where to start to look for certain birds. I hope you see it again, and I hope you do too. How long did it stay around? did you hear it sing at all?

---------- Post added 28-06-2013 at 20:54 ----------

Thanks for all you replies, I did know about the Padley Gorge sighting, but sadly couldn't make it that day. I will keep checking for sightings and hopefully I might get my chance one day, maybe nearer home too, as I thought I would have to go all the way to Lakenheath RSPB site which I was prepared to do. I love these birds and their song is so gorgeous too.

---------- Post added 28-06-2013 at 20:59 ----------

I think there may well be something special about Moss Valley, it is a very unspoilt bit of countryside and is a very old traditional woodland. I wondered if the Golden Oriole might have been attracted to the poplar trees that are just near the first duck pond. My sister always used to say that she could imagine seeing one there, before we even knew about any sightings there. It is just a haven for wildlife as there are so many trees and ponds.

You're very lucky to see a Golden Oriole, especially in a local area. Have always wanted to see one, especially down the Ridgeway area. They breed every year as Lakenheath fen RSPB reserve and are found in the poplar plantation. There are some poplars at Ford Ridgeway, so it's possible they may make another visit again sometime!

Was the bird you saw male? Whereabouts on Geer Lane was it, was it near the fishing ponds and last but not least, did you hear it sing? Sorry to bombard you with all these questions but I was very excited to hear about your sighting and have a bit of an obsession with Golden Orioles!

---------- Post added 29-06-2013 at 19:35 ----------

One reported in Padley Gorge last weekend, lots of twitchers about!

Yes I saw the Padley Gorge sighting on SBSG website, they were seen on 15th June. Was very excited to hear about that one too! Perhaps its the same one seen at Ridgeway! We will have to keep a look out, as they may start to come back every year, you never know!!