Employers asking for my doctors records

i have been off work since the begining of april in that time ive been in hospital 4 times with 2 bouts of pneumonia a chest infection and a bout of plurasy.In all this time i have supplied my employer with doctors sick notes i also lost sensation on my left hand side which im having physio for.I have recieved a letter from work asking me to sign a letter so they can view my medical records is this legal

Yes it is legal, although you are under no legal obligation to provide it. You could however loose your job if you fail to do so, or be disciplined.

I don't think they have done anything illegal......

But I also don't think have any right to view them either.

Medical records are viewable by health professionals..and by yourself should you ask to see them

A "Sick Note" is all your employer is entitled to see.

I don't think they have done anything illegal......

But I also don't think have any right to view them either.

Medical records are viewable by health professionals..and by yourself should you ask to see them

A "Sick Note" is all your employer is entitled to see.

As per my post. You don't HAVE to give them consent, but you may be putting your job at risk by doing so. If the sickness is legit then it shouldn't be a problem for you :)

As per my post. You don't HAVE to give them consent, but you may be putting your job at risk by doing so. If the sickness is legit then it shouldn't be a problem for you :)

As per my post.....

If a health professional (GP, Consultant, Hospital Doctor) provides a sick note saying you are unfit for work, that is all that is required.

As per my post.....

If a health professional (GP, Consultant, Hospital Doctor) provides a sick note saying you are unfit for work, that is all that is required.

No, it isn't. Some companies may accept this, however a company is well within its rights to ask for other records. However the employee has no legal requirement to provide them.

I'm pointing out to the OP that he may put his position of employment at risk if he fails to give consent.

No, it isn't. Some companies may accept this, however a company is well within its rights to ask for other records. However the employee has no legal requirement to provide them.

I'm pointing out to the OP that he may put his position of employment at risk if he fails to give consent.

mrbrit is correct. Employers are entitled to ask but the employee is within their rights not to give their consent. However as by withholding consent the employee might give the impression they got something to hide.

Personally I would try to meet them halfway

In my case when my employer asked for my medical records I to gave them consent. However I did state I am only giving them consent for information relating for the reasons why I was off sick and nothing else. That way they only get the infromation linked to your time off from work and not your entire medical history. I also requested that I wanted to see the report before my employer does. The benefit of that is you able to request changes to the report before your GP sends your report to the employer.

I hope this help you.

Edited by moooo
more info

We obviously disagree then mrbrit....

A persons medical records are nothing to do with an employer...or anyone else for that matter.

Lets's suppose for a minute.....

A young lad contracts a sexually transmitted disease from a prostitute.

Years later he is unable to work for reasons unrelated.

He provides doctors notes relating to his current condition.

Being asked to reveal his medical records is out of order.....his past is now't to do with them.

His present condition is all they need to know....and a sick note saying he is unfit for work is sufficient.

Any suggestion he may be putting his job at risk .....that then becomes a claim for unfair dismissal..should that happen.

A persons medical records are nothing to do with an employer...or anyone else for that matter.

Being asked to reveal his medical records is out of order.....his past is now't to do with them.

His present condition is all they need to know....and a sick note saying he is unfit for work is sufficient.

Any suggestion he may be putting his job at risk .....that then becomes a claim for unfair dismissal..should that happen.

They don't have to look at your entire history, just the period which has affected your ability to work (whether you continue to attend work or not). They are given a letter from your GP, not your entire record so anything unrelated can be missed out. Legally they can request and you can say no, however that could be perceived as you have something to hide and then questions will be asked without all the facts.

Allen, you are wrong and the advice you are giving is wrong.

The Access to Medical Reports Act states that an employer may have access reports provided by a medical practitioner which are in connection with their employment.

Section 3 of the Access to Medical Reports Act states that the employee has to give his or her consent for their employer to be given access to their medical records.

This means that an employer cannot ask a doctor to provide a medical report on one of his employees without first asking for consent of that employee.

sick notes are old hat, they're Fit notes now I believe, ie fitness to work and details whether you are unfit for work, part fit for work (what assistance or limitations on work will be required), or fully fit.