Any risk buying a house without completion certificate for work done?

Do bear in mind that the sale could fall through at any stage prior to completion.

The first thing to do is speak with Building Control - if they have certified the work, there's no problem. If they haven't, speak to your lender and ascertain their position. Then, if you are still wanting the property, you can assess the options, risks of each, and try to negotiate an amicable solution with the vendor that allows you to purchase the property whilst minimising any potential risk.

At then end of the day, it is a garage conversion, not a large extension or major refurbishment so any risk/cost should be manageable for both parties...

Edited by Craig_

thanks all for your replies. my lender wouldn't mind as the survey is been done and mortgage offer has been made. it's just me need to decide whether I should insist on getting the completion certificate, which the vendor is not prepared to get at this moment...

In that case, my advice would be:

1, Request the vendor to undertake a electrical installation condition report to assure the safety of the building's electrics. This will flag up any issues that will prevent the electrics being certified for a Building Control submission. If there are no issues, then the electrician can supply a Part P Certificate.

2, Request the vendor supply a GasSafe certificate. This will assure the gas appliances (Boiler, Hob, meter etc.) and pipework are safe. This is also the certificate required for a Building Control submission.

Both of these two items are relatively cheap to obtain and are sensible to have as part of any property purchase for safety reasons and the Vendor should not object to supplying these.

3, I could visit the property with a structural engineer (and yourself) to advise with respect to the architectural and structural components/conformity. The structural assessment will be with respect to any modifications local to the garage conversion (openings, windows, doors, foundation loading etc). Likewise the architectural assessment will be with respect to design/construction of the conversion - issues such layout, materials, fire, insulation etc...

As you don't own the property there may be aspects that are not accessible but you should be able to get a clear understanding of whether or not the conversion meets current Building Regulation standards, and if not, the level of work required to achieve compliance.

I suspect, from what you describe, the structure has not been altered but in terms of construction, the conversion was probably build to older, less-stringent standards that would not meet current minimum standards (particularly insulation) - this is not a problem in itself but would need to be resolved to achieve a BC compliance certificate - probably requiring additional insulation.

However, if everything else is satisfactory (electrics, gas, structure), you could live with the property as-is and undertake any necessary work and achieve a retroactive certification at a later date.

This seems the most sensible, cost effective and low risk strategy.

Edited by Craig_

The first thing to do is speak with Building Control - if they have certified the work, there's no problem. If they haven't, speak to your lender and ascertain their position. Then, if you are still wanting the property, you can assess the options, risks of each, and try to negotiate an amicable solution with the vendor that allows you to purchase the property whilst minimising any potential risk.

At then end of the day, it is a garage conversion, not a large extension or major refurbishment so any risk/cost should be manageable for both parties...

I'd recommend considering Indemnity Insurance (at V's cost, not yours) instead.