Has Nibblers closed down?

Was looking forward to a regular bacon, egg and tomato (the large sandwiches are unfeasibly huge) this very morn from Nibblers on Charles Street and the bloomin' shop was shut at 09:45am.

I did see a chap removing some stuff from Nibblers on Sunday but didn't think too much about it.

Has another city centre premises bitten the dust, I ask myself?

In the end I had to get me sarnie from that Roast place near SHU which was ok but a bit over-fancy with their liberal use of fresh tomato and the ciabatta-like bread cake - you want tinned tomatoes on a bacon buttie, tinned, ah'm tellin' thee. Deluxe price too at £3-70 for a regular sandwich.

So, the gentrification of the city centre continues apace as we lose traditional suppliers of indigenous 'peasant' food that have sustained generations of Sheffield folk only to be replaced by artisanal boutique creations that pander to the capricious tastes of fleeting bourgeois fashionistas. Fancy a cupcake anyone?

Next big question of the day - what to have for lunch? Will probably have to make do with a chimichanga or burrito from the Street Food Cafe...

reports of the death of the good old fashioned caff are somewhat exaggerated.... try Sarnis on High Street for one example

Try cooking.

Was a rare breakfast treat, old timer.

Went to the dentist this morning - wanna keep me teeth - and so wanted a sarnie before work.

---------- Post added 25-06-2013 at 10:52 ----------

reports of the death of the good old fashioned caff are somewhat exaggerated.... try Sarnis on High Street for one example

What's good about Sarnies - why would you recommend it? Please describe their bill of fare, my good man...

Edited by itcrowd
Formatting issues

Try pack up for lunch. Between three and seventy pound for breakfast is shocking.

So, the gentrification of the city centre continues apace as we lose traditional suppliers of indigenous 'peasant' food that have sustained generations of Sheffield folk only to be replaced by artisanal boutique creations that pander to the capricious tastes of fleeting bourgeois fashionistas. Fancy a cupcake anyone?

Hmmm... it's like the Argos debate again, isn't it?

Whenever a shop closes, Sheffielders start wailing that "all the shops are closing, the city centre is doomed. Doomed, I tell thee! Wah wah wah" yet whenever Greggs or Argos open another outlet, the same people begin wailing "only chav shops are opening, the city centre is doomed. Doomed, I tell thee! Wah wah wah".

Anyway, I can highly recommend the Pound Bakery, near the bottom of the Moor, opposite the new Markets building. Tasty food, cheerful service and a reasonable price.

What more does a Sheffielder want?

Try pack up for lunch. Between three and seventy pound for breakfast is shocking.

If I want to buy a decent bacon buttie of a morning then it is my right as a native Brit to purchase one, when and where of my choosing.

Between £3 and £70 for breakfast would be quite shocking if, indeed, you were paying towards the upper end of that scale - but I'd said three pounds seventy was a bit steep for a bacon, egg & tommy sarnie.

Anyway, has Nibblers closed or wot?

If I want to buy a decent bacon buttie of a morning then it is my right as a native Brit to purchase one, when and where of my choosing.

Between £3 and £70 for breakfast would be quite shocking if, indeed, you were paying towards the upper end of that scale - but I'd said three pounds seventy was a bit steep for a bacon, egg & tommy sarnie.

Take a while guess ... The shops empty and no ones there..mmmmmm:loopy:

It's not a bacon Sarnie you need .lol

Hmmm... it's like the Argos debate again, isn't it?

Not really.

I'm talking about a small, locally owned indigenous business that has traded in Sheffield for generations - I'm not mourning the loss of some faceless mega-corp that siphons its cash and profits out of Sheffield to God-knows-where.

Whenever a shop closes, Sheffielders start wailing that "all the shops are closing, the city centre is doomed. Doomed, I tell thee! Wah wah wah" yet whenever Greggs or Argos open another outlet, the same people begin wailing "only chav shops are opening, the city centre is doomed. Doomed, I tell thee! Wah wah wah".

No, as above, mate, as above. And I'd said "you want tinned tomatoes on a bacon buttie, tinned, ah'm tellin' thee".

I don't give much of a monkey's toss if Argos or Greggs closes down apart from whatever impact that might have on Sheffielders' jobs.

Anyway, I can highly recommend the Pound Bakery, near the bottom of the Moor, opposite the new Markets building. Tasty food, cheerful service and a reasonable price.

What more does a Sheffielder want?

Well, Pound Bakery is another sizeable chain that is headquartered outside of the City region. I want to spend my Sheffield pound in a Sheffield shop who will put it into the pocket of Sheffield people. Commerce, like charity, begins at home.

Anyway, has Nibblers closed down or wot?

---------- Post added 25-06-2013 at 12:51 ----------

Take a while guess ... The shops empty and no ones there..mmmmmm:loopy:

It's not a bacon Sarnie you need .lol

How about taking a wild guess while you're about it, Ginger Whinger :loopy:

Anyway, they might be on holiday, might be taking a break, might be changing hands. Who knows? :huh:

Not really.

I'm talking about a small, locally owned indigenous business that has traded in Sheffield for generations - I'm not mourning the loss of some faceless mega-corp that siphons its cash and profits out of Sheffield to God-knows-where.

No, as above, mate, as above. And I'd said "you want tinned tomatoes on a bacon buttie, tinned, ah'm tellin' thee".

I don't give much of a monkey's toss if Argos or Greggs closes down apart from whatever impact that might have on Sheffielders' jobs.

Well, Pound Bakery is another sizeable chain that is headquartered outside of the City region. I want to spend my Sheffield pound in a Sheffield shop who will put it into the pocket of Sheffield people. Commerce, like charity, begins at home.

Anyway, has Nibblers closed down or wot?

---------- Post added 25-06-2013 at 12:51 ----------

How about taking a wild guess while you're about it, Ginger Whinger :loopy:

Anyway, they might be on holiday, might be taking a break, might be changing hands. Who knows? :huh:

No it's shut down !!fact !!

If you have a city centre business you don't just leave it un staffed to take a holiday or if having refit or something you let people know ie sign etc to avoid losing your customers.

Also it's not been a generation business the present occupiers took it on about 18 months ago.

So I should go and get a Griggs pastie if I were you:gag:

You said £3-70 not £3.70, are you one of those lazy overweight people?

Be that as it may, I wouldn't describe Pound Bakery wares as artisanal boutique creations that pander to the capricious tastes of fleeting bourgeois fashionistas.