Acer japanese trees - advice please!

Hello,

In May I bought two little trees, one an Acer Palmatum Atropurpureum and the other Acer Palmatum Orange dream (apparently they originate from Japan). I was informed that they would do well in large pots in my semi sunny courtyard. I re-potted them with some ericaceous compost and have made sure to water them etc.

They are now the most miserable looking little things I have ever seen and I have no idea what is wrong with them. The orange dream is all droopy and loosing its leaves and the atropurpureum's leaves are shrivelling and browning one by one.

If anyone knows anything I can try to get them on the mend I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Viv

Ericaceous compost? Did someone advise you to do that? I've not come across anything that suggests they should be in that & I think they'd be better off in something like John Innes no.3. Do you think you could be overwatering them - do the pots drain easily?

The only other thing that tends to make the leaves go brown is very cold winds - I know the weather hasn't been very good recently but I don't think it's been that bad!

I've got 2 acers in pots, one of which hasn't been repotted in 20 years and it's survived some really harsh winters. Trying to think what else could be ailing yours.

Photos would help. The shrivelled/browning leaves might be from high winds, though. Acer palmatum hates strong winds. Do they start browning at the tips or does the whole leaf go brown at once? And is your patio exposed to wind?

For the best advice please post photos or links to photos - one for each plant including the pot and one close up of the dying leaves would be best.

Other possibilities:

It's possible they're getting too much sun at midday (they prefer shadier conditions)

It's possible you're not watering them enough.

It's possible they were sold without enough root to cope with life outside

It's possible (though not likely) that they're infested with Vine weevil larvae which eat the roots of plants.

Where did you buy them from? And how do you water them (stand pots in water, from above with a hose etc) and how often?

---------- Post added 25-06-2013 at 15:40 ----------

Ericaceous compost? Did someone advise you to do that? I've not come across anything that suggests they should be in that & I think they'd be better off in something like John Innes no.3.

The 'plant in Ericaceous compost' advice is unnecessary and outdated but it won't harm it. It used to be thought that Acer palmatum needed acid soil, but it doesn't.

We have an acer about 6 or 7 years old that's been in the same large pot in ericaceous compost since we got it. It's had wind damage 3 or 4 times, seemingly without rhyme or reason. :rolleyes:

It suffered dreadful windburn last year, and the upper branches actually died off so we chopped the top half of the plant off. It's come back lovely this year though, and even with the recent high winds, it's not had windburn this season at all.

Hi all, thank you for your replies.

I bought them from B&Q and just put them in ericaceous compost because it said so on the label, I am a bit of a novice gardener here so I follow all guidelines to the letter :)

The leaves on the purple tree start browning and curling from the tips whilst the orange dream just looks all droopy and sad.

I am wondering now whether the drainage in the pots is perhaps not sufficient and I will try and get them out of the wind.

Thanks so much everyone - I really want to try keep them trees alive:)

Hi all, thank you for your replies.

I bought them from B&Q and just put them in ericaceous compost because it said so on the label, I am a bit of a novice gardener here so I follow all guidelines to the letter :)

The leaves on the purple tree start browning and curling from the tips whilst the orange dream just looks all droopy and sad.

I am wondering now whether the drainage in the pots is perhaps not sufficient and I will try and get them out of the wind.

Thanks so much everyone - I really want to try keep them trees alive:)

My tree has survived 12 Lodge Moor winters (and the other one about 6) so they are sturdy little devils! Over watering is a strong possibility if you think the pots might not be draining well. Good luck. Unfortunately, I'm about to leave Sheffield Forum after 9 years here so I won't be able to reply to any more of your posts :(